Ideas for Improving the Future of Philosophy

Hume

Verified User

Advanced Placement (AP) Philosophy

Most US and Canadian high schools offer no philosophy courses. Even for those people who then attend college or university, most never take a philosophy class. Unsurprisingly, then, many people in the US and Canada have very little idea of what philosophy is. This is true even of relatively well-educated people and people who end up in influential roles in politics, science, business, law, entertainment, the arts, and even in education.

This is why many people, even if not Christian, still think religion is necessary. They do not understand metaphysics.

I think in my major, there could have been benefit from philosophy of science requirement. Science majors are not required to take any formal logic, and they are not specifically trained in understanding what counts as an explanation and what does not. A philosophy of science class could fill that role.

I think in my major, there could have been benefit from philosophy of science requirement. Science majors are not required to take any formal logic, and they are not specifically trained in understanding what counts as an explanation and what does not. A philosophy of science class could fill that role.
Agree, good point. If you cannot think about what a cause is you only have method, not knowledge.

For example, yesterday a poster who claims to have a PhD in science claimed that Pi was not an abstract concept, it was a physically real thing because he could show pictures of circles, and numeric values of pi.
But we can only approximate pi with numeric values and circle geometries drawn by hand or powerpoint. Pi as an abstract objective truth existed ten billion years before anyone drew a circle in Powerpoint, or calculated the first eight digits of pi on their calculator. Humans just discovered it.

For example, yesterday a poster who claims to have a PhD in science claimed that Pi was not an abstract concept, it was a physically real thing because he could show pictures of circles, and numeric values of pi.
But we can only approximate pi with numeric values and circle geometries drawn by hand or powerpoint. Pi as an abstract objective truth existed ten billion years before anyone drew a circle in Powerpoint, or calculated the first eight digits of pi on their calculator. Humans just discovered it.
There are 4 major philosophies of math, according to the SEP. https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/philosophy-mathematics/

Probably more. I don't think insisting on one's own theory as the correct one will be successful.

Advanced Placement (AP) Philosophy

Most US and Canadian high schools offer no philosophy courses. Even for those people who then attend college or university, most never take a philosophy class. Unsurprisingly, then, many people in the US and Canada have very little idea of what philosophy is. This is true even of relatively well-educated people and people who end up in influential roles in politics, science, business, law, entertainment, the arts, and even in education.

Philosophy is not a school, advanced placement program, class, course, college, or university.

Science is not philosophy..

Agree, good point. If you cannot think about what a cause is you only have method, not knowledge.
Science is not a "cause" nor a "method" or procedure. Science is not knowledge.

Science is a set of falsifiable theories. That's it. That's all.

Science is not a degree, certification, license, or any other sanctification. Science is not mathematics.

Back