APP - if the economy is so bad, why are banks doing so well

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. banks earned more from January through March than during any quarter on record, buoyed by greater income from fees and fewer losses from bad loans.
The banking industry earned $40.3 billion in the first quarter, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.said Wednesday. That's the highest ever for a single quarter and up 15.8 percent from the first quarter of 2012, when the industry's profits were $34.8 billion.
Record profits show banks have come a long way from the 2008 financial crisis. But the report offered a reminder that the industry is still struggling to help the broader economy recover from the Great Recession.
Only about half of U.S. banks reported improved earnings from a year earlier, the lowest proportion since 2009. That shows the industry's growth is being driven by a narrower group of the nation's largest banks.
Those banks include Bank of America Corp., Citigroup Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co. Most of them have recovered with help from federal bailout money and record-low borrowing rates.
Bank lending declined from the October-December quarter, although that followed several quarters of increases.
And bank profits from interest charged fell 2.2 percent to $104 billion. The industry's average interest income as a percentage of total loans on its books fell from 3.35 percent to 3.27 percent. That's the lowest portion of total loans in nearly seven years.
That has forced banks to see more revenue from fees, despite complaints from customers and consumer advocates.
FDIC Chairman Martin Gruenberg said the banking industry "is in much stronger shape today than it was three years ago." But he added that "it's a fairly tricky environment for the industry" because of narrowing profit margins from charging interest and relatively weak demand for loans.
Income earned from interest on loans is falling in part because interest rates have been near record lows. The Federal Reserve's aggressive stimulus programs since the crisis have exerted downward pressure on short- and long-term interest rates, making mortgages and other loans cheaper. The Fed's low interest-rate policies are intended to boost borrowing and spending to accelerate overall economic growth.
Still, many banks have adopted stricter lending standards since the financial crisis, requiring higher credit scores, larger down payments and proof of employment. So while loans are a bargain, they are only available to those who can qualify.
Another sign of the industry's health is that fewer banks are at risk of failure. The number of banks on the FDIC's "problem" list fell to 612 from 651 as of Dec. 31.
And so far this year, only 13 banks have failed. That follows 51 closures last year, 92 in 2011 and 157 in 2010. The 2010 closures were the most in one year since the height of the savings and loan crisis in 1992.
On Tuesday, Moody's Investors Service said it had raised its outlook for the U.S. banking industry from "Negative" to "Stable," the first increase in five years. The rating agency said sustained economic growth and a better jobs picture will help banks over the next 12 to 18 months.
The FDIC is backed by the government, and its deposits are guaranteed up to $250,000 per account. Apart from its deposit insurance fund, the agency also has tens of billions in loss reserves.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-banks-report-record-earnings-140234172.html

if the economy is so bad, why are banks doing so well

Because monied interests have manipulated the laws and control politicians for the purpose of enriching themselves at the expense of the American people?

if the economy is so bad, why are banks doing so well

Because monied interests have manipulated the laws and control politicians for the purpose of enriching themselves at the expense of the American people?

there is little doubt

as i have said from time to time, we have the best politicians that money can buy...

I heard consumer confidence is up to a 5 year high too...

But you are right about monied interests though.

i wish that i were not

how will we recover from this or has it always been this way

or maybe it is like a pendulum where the influence of the 'monied' interests waxes and wans

I heard consumer confidence is up to a 5 year high too...

But you are right about monied interests though.

All indicators of an improved economy are there. Unemployment is going down, home sales are higher than they've been in years, home construction is up, and auto sales are up 20% over last year.

Employers are hiring again. All this in spite of a do-nothing Congress. Can you imagine how mush better things would be if they had worked with the administration to create new stimulus
easures instead of against?

Banks are doing great, especially the ones who can access the fed window.
It's where us 1 percenters like to invest.

Banks are doing great, especially the ones who can access the fed window.
It's where us 1 percenters like to invest.

Really?

Well, you 1%ers really don't matter. You aren't a market maker. Now this guy here? He is a market maker. He is selling banks while you are buying.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/05/28/why-is-george-soros-dumping-banks.aspx

Now he may be just taking profits. Maybe. But, it is interesting to note that he also dumped a large position in Gold in February and Gold has been in a nosedive ever since. Hey, you don't have to believe me. Follow the money guy for the democrat party. ;)

BTW, the market broke down below technical resistance today. Too early to tell if it is headed toward a longer term decline or just a blip. I got stopped out of my long position because as I said, I had very tight stops in place. Not taking a short position, and won't go back long. Going to sit on the sidelines.

If history is any guide, when the pullback happens it will be pretty ugly.

BTW, didn't you buy Apple at $700? How is that workin out for ya? I told ya it was over valued

Stocks average 8 percent over the long haul!
Plenty think they can time better.
Shit I play with a couple hundred k getting in and out.
My real money stays long in fantastic companies.
Like most 1 percenters

Stocks average 8 percent over the long haul!
Plenty think they can time better.
Shit I play with a couple hundred k getting in and out.
My real money stays long in fantastic companies.
Like most 1 percenters

You keep changing your story. In the same thread you decry "timing the market" and then claim to have a "couple hundred K for getting in and out". I don't believe it, but then it doesn't matter what I believe.

I also remember when they used to say "the stock market averages 10% over the long haul". That sounds great doesn't it? Except you need to define the long haul and look at the date ranges they use. That matters. It also matters that not everyone has the same time horizon.

For some reason, you aren't able to grasp what I am saying. You either don't want to or you don't understand it. Following trends is not the same as trying to time the market. Trend trading is not trying to time the market. I fully admit that I miss tops and bottoms because I don't try to predict them. I use charts to help me decide on high probability setups for entry. I use strict money management and always, always, always have stops in place. I don't hit on every trade. I don't try to trade individual stocks because I believe they are too risky despite their "blue chip" status. All it takes is one bad news day and a "blue chip" stock is in the crapper.

I notice that you are completely ignoring the fact that Soros is selling his bank positions. I don't blame you, I would ignore it too if I were you. It doesn't fit with your argument.

Nothing I'm saying is rocket science.
I know you don't like looking at income statements.
JP Morgan's is a thing of beauty
I didn't invent the 1 percent strategy, just love it like rednecks love pickups.

Income statements? You are kidding right? That is the easiest statement to manipulate. With banks, their balance sheets are more important and I prefer looking at statement of cash flows. Can't fuck around with cash.

Profitability is determined by income statements, I have 28 years in finance and accounting in one of the biggest companies. I know how to value stocks

Profitability is determined by income statements, I have 28 years in finance and accounting in one of the biggest companies. I know how to value stocks

Congratulations on arguing against a point I didn't make. Let's try again. I know I am on APP so I will keep it clean for the cheap seats. I stated quite clearly I might add, that the income statement is the easiest financial statement to manipulate. That is a fact. Businesses screw around with depreciation, they carry revenues forward and in the more egregious cases the try to offload expenses as liabilities and shift them to the balance sheet. My point was that looking at the income statement is not the wisest thing. I prefer to look at statements of cash flows. You see, statements of cash flows are not easy to manipulate. Cash is king. You either have cash. Or you don't have cash.

Let me give you a relevant example. During Enron's magnificent run, their statement of income looked phenomenal. They were all the rage on Wall St. All the 1%ers drooled every quarter as Enron beat earnings. The stock soared. But, a strange thing was happening while they were making this run. They were bleeding cash and it was showing up on their statement of cash flows. Unfortunately, 1%ers didn't look at that as carefully. Neither did Wall St. So the Enron facade marched on. Then one day some enterprising young analyst decided to take a peek at Enron's statement of cash flows and convinced his firm to take a large short position in Enron. THat is when the jig was up. Enron wasn't caught by any regulatory agency. They were caught by the free market.

My larger point is that you are a fraud. First of all nobody who knows what they are doing invests in ANY company based solely on the statement of income. It is a fool's errand. First of all you obviously can't read the statement of incomes for 5,000 companies to find the best. Hell, you can't even do it for the DOW. You have to have a screening methodology to identify likely prospects, then go from there. Any real due diligence would require not only reading the statement of income, but the statement of cash flows, balance sheet and statement of owners equity. To do otherwise would be financial negligence. Lastly one would need to read the Annual Report cover to cover to find the little nuggets that explain some of the numbers. Again, nobody (even retired people) have that kind of time.

Lastly, one would really need to do even deeper due diligence like Warren Buffett does by sitting down with management and asking the questions that they never want to divulge in their financials. You obviously don't have that kind of clout.

You are obviously playing out some sort of fantasy on a political message board and maybe it makes you feel superior. But, as you can see, nobody except you (and a few gullible libs like Rana) are falling for it.

As I have said, I have better things to do than pour through financial statements that are manipulated. I like my chances trading futures of the S&P and buying and selling ETFs. Charts are much easier to read and it takes me less time. I have a handful of ETFs I follow and I don't have to mess with financial statements.

Lastly, you claim that "the stock market goes up 8% a year". That may be the average over a given period of time, but that doesn't mean that EVERY stock goes up by that average. So if you are investing in individual stocks are you committing the first crime of not being diversified (although I would argue against some peoples opinion of diversification).

Enron, I stopped reading thier.
Don't know if you have any professional finance or accounting.
Cash flow starts with the income statement.

All indicators of an improved economy are there. Unemployment is going down, home sales are higher than they've been in years, home construction is up, and auto sales are up 20% over last year.

Employers are hiring again. All this in spite of a do-nothing Congress. Can you imagine how mush better things would be if they had worked with the administration to create new stimulus
easures instead of against?

My concern is that another bubble may appear. The stock market is going up; banks are earning money; heck corporations are earning high profits. But those of us who are in the workforce - our income, in real spending terms, is going down. We aren't getting raises. Who is buying these houses and driving the prices up? In San Fran they're selling way quick now with offers over the asking price - are people really being reasonable about the selling price or is there another housing bubble?

Of course, when banks borrow at their extremely low rate and lend to the rest of us at much higher rates - they'll make money. Seen credit card rates lately? over 20%? there's no call for that. A friend got a loan for an RV - 24%. That's crazy.

But yeah, they kept the politicians from capping the interest rate on credit cards... they have the money, thus the influence. Sad.

My concern is that another bubble may appear. The stock market is going up; banks are earning money; heck corporations are earning high profits. But those of us who are in the workforce - our income, in real spending terms, is going down. We aren't getting raises. Who is buying these houses and driving the prices up? In San Fran they're selling way quick now with offers over the asking price - are people really being reasonable about the selling price or is there another housing bubble?

Of course, when banks borrow at their extremely low rate and lend to the rest of us at much higher rates - they'll make money. Seen credit card rates lately? over 20%? there's no call for that. A friend got a loan for an RV - 24%. That's crazy.

But yeah, they kept the politicians from capping the interest rate on credit cards... they have the money, thus the influence. Sad.

There is a really easy solution. Don't use a credit card and spend cash. That is what I do. So I don't much care what the credit card rates are. Doesn't impact me. If people don't want to pay the rates they can just do without stuff right?

Anyway, RVs are bad for the environment so they should have to pay a higher interest rate along with a higher tax and a higher gas price to offset their carbon footprint and that money should be immediately funneled to the poor in the form of free cell phones.

Sad but true, which is why I think higher education is more important than ever. Unemployment for college grads is half those without

Cali incomes and real estate are higher than most states.

Back