If Windows Phone is No. 2 by 2016, I'll clean Steve Ballmer's toilet

phone os having market share I don't see as the most important thing. Android is open source. I doubt google is making much, though maybe having the platform itself will get people addicted to using other google products.

Apple doesn't give a shit about os dominance, they are shipping phones, the OS is secondary. Last I checked apple was still killing it in that regard. And probably will for a while.

I did not not think that Microsofts phone OS was that bad. I was honestly a bit surprised when I looked at the Windows Phone OS marketshares a few weeks back and found that it had been long tottering at around 1 or 2 percent, with basically zero forward momentum. I mean, I knew that they had not exactly conquered the world, but I expected at least around 5 or 10 percent. 1%? That's simply embarrassing. They basically don't even exist, you could hardly even tell there was such a product in the world, after a huge advertising push supporting a product with the ability to use perhaps the most well known OS brand in the entire world*.

*Cue snark about how Windoze sucks; it doesn't matter whether or not your product is good, being well known is far more important.

phone os having market share I don't see as the most important thing. Android is open source. I doubt google is making much, though maybe having the platform itself will get people addicted to using other google products.

Apple doesn't give a shit about os dominance, they are shipping phones, the OS is secondary. Last I checked apple was still killing it in that regard. And probably will for a while.

Grind, you know that Steve Jobs would have never, and now will never, fulfill your dreams of allowing you to taste his cock, don't you? Apple pays people a lot of money to advertise their product, they don't need your help.

Grind, you know that Steve Jobs would have never, and now will never, fulfill your dreams of allowing you to taste his cock, don't you? Apple pays people a lot of money to advertise their product, they don't need your help.

i dont really think i am saying anything fanboyish, i think it's pretty much a fact, apple is primarily a hardware company, they are shipping phones, not os's. ios is only for the iphone, android is for many other phones, I don't think it's really comparable, and the two companies have obviously different goals in that regard.

if apple wanted to all of a sudden make ios open source and allow 3rd parties to use it on their phones, I am sure they could do so easily. And I'm sure there would be plenty of takers. That obviously isn't what they desire though. It would affect their bottom line of phone sales. Google is a software company, apple is a hardware company, they have different approaches.

I did not not think that Microsofts phone OS was that bad. I was honestly a bit surprised when I looked at the Windows Phone OS marketshares a few weeks back and found that it had been long tottering at around 1 or 2 percent, with basically zero forward momentum. I mean, I knew that they had not exactly conquered the world, but I expected at least around 5 or 10 percent. 1%? That's simply embarrassing. They basically don't even exist, you could hardly even tell there was such a product in the world, after a huge advertising push supporting a product with the ability to use perhaps the most well known OS brand in the entire world*.

*Cue snark about how Windoze sucks; it doesn't matter whether or not your product is good, being well known is far more important.

isn't the win os relatively new? The other thing is most people that buy phones get tied into contracts, so once people are using one platform, it's not like there is going to be an immediate switch.

if apple wanted to all of a sudden make ios open source and allow 3rd parties to use it on their phones, I am sure they could do so easily. And I'm sure there would be plenty of takers. That obviously isn't what they desire though. It would affect their bottom line of phone sales. Google is a software company, apple is a hardware company, they have different approaches.

Yeah, of course. One of the things that makes Apple Apple is the unified approach to the platform. Google's open platform approach does theoretically inspire competition, but it does mean that you have a lot of R&D money split amongst many different actors, whereas with the IPhone all of the R&D and such cooperates instead of being divided. Any idiot could make the first approach work - the market works itself out. The second approach can steamroll the first approach, but it requires intelligent people at the helm. Otherwise, it's a disaster.

isn't the win os relatively new? The other thing is most people that buy phones get tied into contracts, so once people are using one platform, it's not like there is going to be an immediate switch.

It's about two years old. Android was the market leader by this point in time in its history. Windows Phone 7 is stuck in 1% territory with, again, no apparent forward momentum.

Back