'I'm going to die on Monday at 6.15pm'

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
"When Marc Weide's mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, she chose euthanasia. Here, we publish his shockingly frank diary of her final days"

Monday February 11 2008

5.30pm: Dad is bent over the toilet bowl with a brush in his hand and a scowl on his face. I walk up to him. "Shall I give you a hand?" Dad begins to snigger, abandoning any attempt to make sense of the situation. We stand shoulder to shoulder with our backs to Mum, who paces around the landing with a newly fitted catheter in her hand.
The catheter has been put in by nurse Marianne to enable our GP, who will be with us in half an hour, to give Mum a lethal injection. But instead of having a moment of peace with us, as Marianne suggested, Mum demands that we clean the toilets. Both upstairs and downstairs.
My brother, Maarten, is sitting on the edge of the bath, staring out of the bathroom window.
"Imagine," he mutters. "Her last hour, spent like this."
This is the Netherlands, where voluntary euthanasia is permitted, as well as physician-assisted suicide. This is the day my mother has chosen to die, and the toilets need to be spotless.

More at link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/aug/23/euthanasia.cancer

Imagine dying with a dirty toilet :shock:

The next time you drive while drunk, consider if your toilet is clean or not.

the whole article is kind of eerie. Imagine knowing the exact time of your death and counting down the minutes.

that's got to be extremely painful for the family. I wouldn't want to have to knowlingly watch a loved one die. I'd prefer they didn't tell me.

Back