I’m Under Arrest for What? 50 Bizarre U.S. Laws

Well, there are a lot of dumb, obscure, ancient blue laws that aren't ever actually enforced. And a law that everyone's forgotten about and nobody bothers to enforce anymore isn't, in a realistic sense, a law. I mean, think of the example from Washington D.C.:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It’s against the law to post a public notice calling someone a coward for refusing to accept a challenge to duel."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It was obviously passed in the era before dueling was banned, and furthermore before the first [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]amendment[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] was applied to lower levels of government. It concerns something that's already illegal, and would be dealt with using other laws anyway, and so there's really not even any chance to apply some sort of constitutional challenge against it. So, it just lies there in useless limbo, not officially repealed but obviously not an active ordinance anyway.[/FONT]

Well hot damn, its illegal for my wife to cut her hair without my permission. I love obscure laws.

Well, there are a lot of dumb, obscure, ancient blue laws that aren't ever actually enforced. And a law that everyone's forgotten about and nobody bothers to enforce anymore isn't, in a realistic sense, a law. I mean, think of the example from Washington D.C.:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"It’s against the law to post a public notice calling someone a coward for refusing to accept a challenge to duel."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It was obviously passed in the era before dueling was banned, and furthermore before the first [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]amendment[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] was applied to lower levels of government. It concerns something that's already illegal, and would be dealt with using other laws anyway, and so there's really not even any chance to apply some sort of constitutional challenge against it. So, it just lies there in useless limbo, not officially repealed but obviously not an active ordinance anyway.[/FONT]

You mean kinda like Mitt Romney's campaign?

Actually some of these aren't laws. The Indiana "pi Law" was a bill that was submitted to the legislature and the "Honk before pass" is just a suggestion in the Ohio drivers manual. It's not a law. Now the law in michigan about women needing a husbands permission to get their hair cut is true.....but who'd be stupid enough to mary a guy from michigan?

Actually some of these aren't laws. The Indiana "pi Law" was a bill that was submitted to the legislature and the "Honk before pass" is just a suggestion in the Ohio drivers manual. It's not a law. Now the law in michigan about women needing a husbands permission to get their hair cut is true.....but who'd be stupid enough to mary a guy from michigan?

We have a few daft laws too:
Most ridiculous British laws:

1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)
2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside-down (7%)
3. In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)
4. Mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas Day (5%)
5. In Scotland, if someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your toilet, you must let them enter (4%)
6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman’s helmet (4%)
7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)
8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)
9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament in a suit of armour
10. In the city of York it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

Back