Interesting Poll of Bush Voters

Cancel7

Banned
This poll is soley of actual Bush voters, and represents only their opinions. There is some interesting stuff in here. None moreso than this:

"Looking ahead to 2008, a majority of Bush voters say they are looking for distance from Mr. Bush and his policies. They say they want a candidate who does not have the strident approach to the war that Mr. Bush does. More than half of Mr. Bush’s 2004 voters, 58 percent, said they want the 2008 Republican nominee to be flexible about withdrawing troops from Iraq rather than committed to keeping troops there until the United States succeeds, as Mr. Bush has advocated."

So, if 58 percent of actual Bush voters, want a candidate who is talking withdrawal timelines at least, what does this do to the Republican primaries? And why are all of the nominees, thus far, strongly pro-bush on the war? I'd say this puts the final Kibish on McCain, he's tied himself the strongest to this policy. But what about the rest of them? If these numbers are holding in their internal polling, I think you are going to start seeing Rudy and others moving away from their stated comments, and start talking timelines and eventual withdrawal. In other words, flip-flopping.

And I think this is good news for Chuck Hagel. It means that contrary to the received wisdom inside the beltway, Hagel does have a damned good chance in the primaries.

Entire Poll:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/us/politics/02web-elder.html?_r=1&8dpc&oref=slogin

Yeah but 58% of 51% is not much ....

That's a pretty good majority in a primary race though usc. I think it makes it difficult to win a primary if you're putting out a message that 58% of your primary voters do not want to hear. They are going to have to back off of this. Again, this is only one poll, and a lot is going to depend on what their internal polling is telling them.

That is now wait until september and see if the poll is repeated , after they hear the "another 6 months" message yet again.
It is quite a while until the primary....

although I am suprised that we have that many mentally ill people in this country.

That is now wait until september and see if the poll is repeated , after they hear the "another 6 months" message yet again.
It is quite a while until the primary....

although I am suprised that we have that many mentally ill people in this country.

No, I know. Thank God we have elections. Things are going to start happening before this year is over. You can only tell the people to go f themselves for just so long. Then you have to answer for it.

No, I know. Thank God we have elections. Things are going to start happening before this year is over. You can only tell the people to go f themselves for just so long. Then you have to answer for it.

Yeah except for the really mental ones that must enjoy F...ing themselves.

This poll is soley of actual Bush voters, and represents only their opinions. There is some interesting stuff in here. None moreso than this:

"Looking ahead to 2008, a majority of Bush voters say they are looking for distance from Mr. Bush and his policies. They say they want a candidate who does not have the strident approach to the war that Mr. Bush does. More than half of Mr. Bush’s 2004 voters, 58 percent, said they want the 2008 Republican nominee to be flexible about withdrawing troops from Iraq rather than committed to keeping troops there until the United States succeeds, as Mr. Bush has advocated."

So, if 58 percent of actual Bush voters, want a candidate who is talking withdrawal timelines at least, what does this do to the Republican primaries? And why are all of the nominees, thus far, strongly pro-bush on the war? I'd say this puts the final Kibish on McCain, he's tied himself the strongest to this policy. But what about the rest of them? If these numbers are holding in their internal polling, I think you are going to start seeing Rudy and others moving away from their stated comments, and start talking timelines and eventual withdrawal. In other words, flip-flopping.

And I think this is good news for Chuck Hagel. It means that contrary to the received wisdom inside the beltway, Hagel does have a damned good chance in the primaries.

Entire Poll:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/02/us/politics/02web-elder.html?_r=1&8dpc&oref=slogin

So, if 58 percent of actual Bush voters, want a candidate who is talking withdrawal timelines at least, what does this do to the Republican primaries?

Hmmmm. I have some questions. First, how do we know that "Bush voters" is the same subset of people as GOP primary voters?

"Bush voters" could include not only partisan GOP voters, but also those independent and unaffiliated people who voted for him last time in the general election. It doesn't have to neccessarily even be hard core republicans.

On the other hand, republican primaries are dominated by the hard-right GOP partisan voters.

So, I'm not sure if the term "Bush voters" would skew the results away from what a hard-core republican primary voter would want.

Last edited:
So, if 58 percent of actual Bush voters, want a candidate who is talking withdrawal timelines at least, what does this do to the Republican primaries?

Hmmmm. I have some questions. First, how do we know that "Bush voters" is the same subset of people as GOP primary voters?

"Bush voters" could include not only partisan GOP voters, but alo those independent and unaffiliated people who voted for him last time in the general election. It doesn't have to neccessarily even be hard core republicans.

On the other hand, republican primaries are dominated by the hard-right GOP partisan voters.

So, I'm not sure if the term "Bush voters" would skew the results away from what a hard-core republican primary voter would want.

It includes all bush voters, independents too. It's a good point, and it could be that their internal polling is saying that likely Republican primary voters are still strongly pro-war. Then a lot depends on whether or not the particular primary is open or not. Even so, how many independents vote in the primary? You have to have a lot of good information to make this call and start seeing a real trend among hard-core repubs, I know.

And actually, I am hoping that the loons in the base go for a hard core candidate, because guess what? He's going to get freaking pounded in the general.

It just would be nice to see these maniacs start to wake up and wonder if they still feel ok about all of this death, and STILL NO WMDS. But it might be too much to ask for.

It includes all bush voters, independents too. It's a good point, and it could be that their internal polling is saying that likely Republican primary voters are still strongly pro-war. Then a lot depends on whether or not the particular primary is open or not. Even so, how many independents vote in the primary? You have to have a lot of good information to make this call and start seeing a real trend among hard-core repubs, I know.

I don't know how many independents vote in the primaries.

I think the hardright wingnuts dominate the primaries, so any poll that doesn't exclusively capture that subset of people, may not tell us the whole story.

But, I could be wrong! I've seen republicans flip flop before. Why it was only 18 months ago, that they thought Bush was an awesome president, one who would go down in the pantheon of truly great presidents!

Example:

Dixie went from writing love letters to bush, to posting a couple months ago that he though bush was the worst two term president ever.

:cof1:

And actually, I am hoping that the loons in the base go for a hard core candidate, because guess what? He's going to get freaking pounded in the general.

It just would be nice to see these maniacs start to wake up and wonder if they still feel ok about all of this death, and STILL NO WMDS. But it might be too much to ask for.

Shhhhh!

I think Newt Gingrich or Sam Brownback are the GOPs best chances of holding the white house. I've been telling wingnuts on FP that I'm really afraid of running my nominee against Newt! :eek:

Shhhhh!

I think Newt Gingrich or Sam Brownback are the GOPs best chances of holding the white house. I've been telling wingnuts on FP that I'm really afraid of running my nominee against Newt! :eek:

LOL! And they believe you?

I don't know how many independents vote in the primaries.

I think the hardright wingnuts dominate the primaries, so any poll that doesn't exclusively capture that subset of people, may not tell us the whole story.

But, I could be wrong! I've seen republicans flip flop before. Why it was only 18 months ago, that they thought Bush was an awesome president, one who would go down in the pantheon of truly great presidents!

Example:

Dixie went from writing love letters to bush, to posting a couple months ago that he though bush was the worst two term president ever.

:cof1:

I didn't know that Dixie ever said he was the worst two term president ever. Poor dixie. It's terrible when a good relationship turns sour. I wonder if he listed bush on dontdatehimgirl.com?

LOL! And they believe you?

I try to be as convincing as I can. And let's face it: in cyberspace is where the real wingnuttia of the GOP congregates. As you know, they love guys like Newt and Tom Tancredo. We're dealing with the extreme rightwing of the GOP. And they want an excuse - any excuse - to fall in love with a Newt campaign.

HeHehe

I didn't know that Dixie ever said he was the worst two term president ever. Poor dixie. It's terrible when a good relationship turns sour. I wonder if he listed bush on dontdatehimgirl.com?

HaHaha.

It was in a unique moment of clarity for Dixie. He actually admitted his Chimp was a horrible president. Not because of republican policies of course. It's just that the Chimp was a flawed man, who let Democrats walk all over him, naturally.

In KY you can only vote for a primary candidate of your own party. I am registered Republican and not sure how I will vote in the primary yet...Might vote to help them get their asses kicked in Nov or might vote for the lesser of the evils, just not sure yet.

In KY you can only vote for a primary candidate of your own party. I am registered Republican and not sure how I will vote in the primary yet...Might vote to help them get their asses kicked in Nov or might vote for the lesser of the evils, just not sure yet.

Vote for Tom Tancredo. I'd love to see the Dem nominee run against that whack job.

That's a tough call.

On another matter, you're a registered Republican? I'm so upset. ;)

Back