Iowa Judge Strikes Down Gay Marriage Ban

uscitizen

Villified User

Aug 30, 8:56 PM (ET)

By DAVID PITT

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A county judge struck down Iowa's decade-old gay marriage ban as unconstitutional Thursday and ordered local officials to process marriage licenses for six gay couples.

Gay couples from anywhere in Iowa could apply for a marriage license from Polk County under Judge Robert Hanson's ruling.

Less than two hours after word of the ruling was publicized, two Des Moines men applied for a license, the first time the county had accepted a same-sex application. The approval process takes three days.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070831/D8RBMF4G0.html

Looks like they need Craig down in Iowa :)

Whatever.............

Aug 30, 8:56 PM (ET)

By DAVID PITT

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A county judge struck down Iowa's decade-old gay marriage ban as unconstitutional Thursday and ordered local officials to process marriage licenses for six gay couples.

Gay couples from anywhere in Iowa could apply for a marriage license from Polk County under Judge Robert Hanson's ruling.

Less than two hours after word of the ruling was publicized, two Des Moines men applied for a license, the first time the county had accepted a same-sex application. The approval process takes three days.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070831/D8RBMF4G0.html

Looks like they need Craig down in Iowa :)

A New Mexico county tried that along with The San Francisco, Calif.Mayor...It had a backlash that ended it!

most likely but it seems to me it is a state's rights case.
Well, the appeal would go to state court because it was decided at the county level. Then the last appeal would go to the State's version of the Supreme Court (some states name it diffferently I don't know about Iowa). If it was believed that there was a federal civil right violated it would then reach the Court of Appeals and finally to the SCOTUS. I don't think it would reach there because marriage laws are the state's prerogative.

Back