Iraq torture 'worse after Saddam'

AnyOldIron

Atheist Missionary
Torture may be worse now in Iraq than under former leader Saddam Hussein, the UN's chief anti-torture expert says.
Manfred Nowak said the situation in Iraq was "out of control", with abuses being committed by security forces, militia groups and anti-US insurgents.

Bodies found in the Baghdad morgue "often bear signs of severe torture", said the human rights office of the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq in a report.

The wounds confirmed reports given by refugees from Iraq, Mr Nowak said.

He told journalists at a briefing in Geneva that he had yet to visit Iraq, but he was able to base his information on autopsies and interviews with Iraqis in neighbouring Jordan.

"What most people tell you is that the situation as far as torture is concerned now in Iraq is totally out of hand," the Austrian law professor said.

"The situation is so bad many people say it is worse than it has been in the times of Saddam Hussein," he added.

Brutal methods

The UN report says detainees' bodies often show signs of beating using electrical cables, wounds in heads and genitals, broken legs and hands, electric and cigarette burns.

Bodies found at the Baghdad mortuary "often bear signs of severe torture including acid-induced injuries and burns caused by chemical substances".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/5368360.stm

Bloody UN... If they didn't tell people they wouldn't know!

Why is this happening there?

What is it that makes these people hate eachother so much? What are these "Death Squads" that I keep hearing about....? I mean over 6500 iraqis were killed in just the last two months....what the hell? This certainly can not be about the difference in religious beliefs of the sunni and the shiite?

Are the terrorists from other countries on the side of the Sunni so the bombings from the sunni are really from alqaeda, via the orders to do it?

Are the shiites just so filled with revenge that they torture and kill sunnis at every chance?

Does anyone REALLY KNOW what is behind this escalated killings of one another over there?

if it is a civil war, what are the real issues?

I am totally lost, please help!

care

Right now the people in Iraq are paying the same price that those who won our freedom in the US payed for us long ago. Those who wish to control and take over are willing to commit brutal acts, the brave fight back and end up as did our predecessors, on the wrong end of a gun.

Right now the people in Iraq are paying the same price that those who won our freedom in the US payed for us long ago. Those who wish to control and take over are willing to commit brutal acts, the brave fight back and end up as did our predecessors, on the wrong end of a gun.
Except that they weren't given a choice as to whether they wanted that fight right now or not. It was imposed on Iraq from the outside.

I'll say again what I've said since 2002: by far the most likely outcome of toppling Saddam Hussein is the dissolution of Iraq and at least one other government as bad as, or worse than, his. Probably two or three governments as bad as, or worse than, his.

Except that they weren't given a choice as to whether they wanted that fight right now or not. It was imposed on Iraq from the outside.

I'll say again what I've said since 2002: by far the most likely outcome of toppling Saddam Hussein is the dissolution of Iraq and at least one other government as bad as, or worse than, his. Probably two or three governments as bad as, or worse than, his.
Regardless of who started it, it is the price being payed and for the same reason. We need to support those who are paying that price rather than leave them.

I was against invasion and occupation becuase we had not Declared War, I am against undeclared war, but I believe it would be unconscionable to leave people who are willing to pay that price based on US action in the lurch.

Regardless of who started it, it is the price being payed and for the same reason. We need to support those who are paying that price rather than leave them.

I was against invasion and occupation becuase we had not Declared War, I am against undeclared war, but I believe it would be unconscionable to leave people who are willing to pay that price based on US action in the lurch.
Humpty's already broken, Damo, and all our President's horsepower and all our President's men can't put Humpty back together again.

Without the consensus of the Iraqi people there's no point to it. I don't believe our military presence is doing them any good in the long run. Sad, but true. All we're doing is supporting the next round of corrupt would-be dictators.

I have to totally disagree on that Damo. the backgrounds of America and Iraq are EXTREMELY different.

Is The bush November rhetoric rush getting to you or something ?

There is a better solution to just leaving. There are people there giving their lives for an ideal that was impossible without the action of the US government. Just saying, "It's broken, give up!" is not good enough morally IMO. Something must be done for those there who have given the utmost on the promise of support from the US government. It is the reason that we weren't seen as liberators, we left them in the lurch before, they believe we will do it again. And many in this nation are willing to oblige them on that belief and prove them right.

Since we are not engaging the militias which are the real problem I don't see anything that would radically change in the US left. The Iraqi army numbers 300000 now. I believe they could prevent the insurgency from taking over the country at this point.

The fighting isn't going to stop anytime soon anyway. We can have our soldiers over there getting killed or they can be redeployed and aid the Iraqis from afar.

There isn't much we can do to stop sectarian violence.

Since we are not engaging the militias which are the real problem I don't see anything that would radically change in the US left. The Iraqi army numbers 300000 now. I believe they could prevent the insurgency from taking over the country at this point.

The fighting isn't going to stop anytime soon anyway. We can have our soldiers over there getting killed or they can be redeployed and aid the Iraqis from afar.

If this is true, I have no objection to leaving. I do think we need to give those who do not wish to live in Sharia Law an out though, because it was our actions that brought it there...

Three hundred thousand iraqi soldiers and police should be more than enough to handle 15-20 thousand insurgents.

Iraq's army has had the exact same amount of time to "train" as have the insurgents. They should be more than equal to the task of preventing the government from falling, if indeed most iraqis support the government.

Oh I agree we owe the Iraqis big and still have many obligations to them even if we don't have soldiers over there getting blown up on a daily basis.

That was my point. There is a better plan that "just leave"... We can find some better solution.

I would like to think that too Damo, but I am not sure one exists at this point in the game. 3 min to go , 4th quarter and down by 40 ? Sometimes you just lose.

Back