APP - is a 19 year old considered an adult?

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
19 year old that gave differing answers to federal questioners charged with lying to authorities even though he was not given his miranda rights statement - his lawyers say that he was just a scared adolescent

BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers for a man charged with lying to investigators after the Boston Marathon bombings are asking a federal judge to release him from jail, saying he had nothing to do with the deadly bombings and isn't a flight risk.
Robel Phillipos, 19, of Cambridge, faces a detention hearing Monday in U.S. District Court. Defense attorneys said in court documents filed Saturday that authorities' claim that Phillipos gave them conflicting accounts is "refutable."
"This case is about a frightened and confused 19 year old who was subjected to intense questioning and interrogation, without the benefit of counsel, and in the context of one of the worst attacks against the nation," lawyers Derege Demissie and Susan Church wrote. "The weight of the federal government under such circumstances can have a devastatingly crushing effect on the ability of an adolescent to withstand the enormous pressure and respond rationally."
Phillipos was charged last week with lying to investigators about visiting bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's college dorm room on April 18, three days after the bombings. Two other friends were charged with conspiring to obstruct justice by taking a backpack with fireworks and a laptop from Tsarnaev's dorm room.
Phillipos was at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, where all four men had studied, by coincidence on April 18, his lawyers said in the court papers. He had taken a leave of absence in December and hadn't spoken to Tsarnaev or the other two men for more than two months, they said.
"By sheer coincidence and bad luck, he was invited to attend a seminar on campus on April 18," the night the three allegedly went to Tsarnaev's dorm room, according to the documents. "As such, he did not have much to offer the authorities regarding the investigation of the suspect."
To support their request for bail, the lawyers filed affidavits from friends and relatives of Phillipos who described him as a considerate, thoughtful and friendly young man, the son of a single mother who emigrated to the United States from Ethiopia. They said he wasn't a flight risk, noting that he is lifelong resident of Massachusetts and has many relatives there.
Phillipos faces a maximum of eight years behind bars and a $250,000 fine if convicted.
Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, are accused of carrying out the April 15 bombing, which used pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails, ball bearings and metal shards. The attack killed three people and injured more than 260 others near the marathon's finish line.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a gunfight with police days later. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was captured and remains in a prison hospital. He has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction and faces a potential death sentence if convicted.

http://news.yahoo.com/man-accused-lying-bombings-seeks-release-051847572.html

Well, if he was never read his Miranda Rights then he can pretty much get off of perjury with that well-established precedent. If he were a minor, they couldn't have questioned him without parents (and ideally a family attorney) present anyway...

Well, if he was never read his Miranda Rights then he can pretty much get off of perjury with that well-established precedent. If he were a minor, they couldn't have questioned him without parents (and ideally a family attorney) present anyway...

perhaps, but what if he were questioned under the usa patriot act?

Then who knows how this plays out, as with anything relating that it. So long as this stays out of the FISA courts, then he has a shot...

re: the draft - if the u s is attacked by conventional methods, i would volunteer even though i was ineligible for the draft for the vietnam conflict (i was classified 1y) but i can still shoot straight even if i am 68 and cannot move as well as i used to, i bet i could take more than one with me

re: the draft - if the u s is attacked by conventional methods, i would volunteer even though i was ineligible for the draft for the vietnam conflict (i was classified 1y) but i can still shoot straight even if i am 68 and cannot move as well as i used to, i bet i could take more than one with me

Well, that's great, but now they won't take you because you're over 45. Of course, if this country were in peril, then you would qualify as an armed citizen to participate in the militia, so consider yourself still a valued member of the defense of the community.

:clink:

19 year old that gave differing answers to federal questioners charged with lying to authorities even though he was not given his miranda rights statement - his lawyers say that he was just a scared adolescent

BOSTON (AP) — Lawyers for a man charged with lying to investigators after the Boston Marathon bombings are asking a federal judge to release him from jail, saying he had nothing to do with the deadly bombings and isn't a flight risk.
Robel Phillipos, 19, of Cambridge, faces a detention hearing Monday in U.S. District Court. Defense attorneys said in court documents filed Saturday that authorities' claim that Phillipos gave them conflicting accounts is "refutable."
"This case is about a frightened and confused 19 year old who was subjected to intense questioning and interrogation, without the benefit of counsel, and in the context of one of the worst attacks against the nation," lawyers Derege Demissie and Susan Church wrote. "The weight of the federal government under such circumstances can have a devastatingly crushing effect on the ability of an adolescent to withstand the enormous pressure and respond rationally."
Phillipos was charged last week with lying to investigators about visiting bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's college dorm room on April 18, three days after the bombings. Two other friends were charged with conspiring to obstruct justice by taking a backpack with fireworks and a laptop from Tsarnaev's dorm room.
Phillipos was at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, where all four men had studied, by coincidence on April 18, his lawyers said in the court papers. He had taken a leave of absence in December and hadn't spoken to Tsarnaev or the other two men for more than two months, they said.
"By sheer coincidence and bad luck, he was invited to attend a seminar on campus on April 18," the night the three allegedly went to Tsarnaev's dorm room, according to the documents. "As such, he did not have much to offer the authorities regarding the investigation of the suspect."
To support their request for bail, the lawyers filed affidavits from friends and relatives of Phillipos who described him as a considerate, thoughtful and friendly young man, the son of a single mother who emigrated to the United States from Ethiopia. They said he wasn't a flight risk, noting that he is lifelong resident of Massachusetts and has many relatives there.
Phillipos faces a maximum of eight years behind bars and a $250,000 fine if convicted.
Tsarnaev and his 26-year-old brother, Tamerlan, are accused of carrying out the April 15 bombing, which used pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails, ball bearings and metal shards. The attack killed three people and injured more than 260 others near the marathon's finish line.
Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a gunfight with police days later. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was captured and remains in a prison hospital. He has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction and faces a potential death sentence if convicted.

http://news.yahoo.com/man-accused-lying-bombings-seeks-release-051847572.html

Let's see his friend said he knew how to make a bomb, they knew bombs had gone off in Boston, they removed firework tubes that had been EMPTIED of their gun powder, and then lied to the authorties.

Well, that's great, but now they won't take you because you're over 45. Of course, if this country were in peril, then you would qualify as an armed citizen to participate in the militia, so consider yourself still a valued member of the defense of the community.

:clink:

there is that, but it will probably never happen

oth there is an afb next door, but they mostly have only missiles

Well, if you are looking for employment, with your background, you could easily step back into the contractor world for a while.

Well, if you are looking for employment, with your background, you could easily step back into the contractor world for a while.

maybe in a couple of years after i my medical problems are better in hand, but i am enjoying retirement too much right now, later when i get bored maybe

especially if congress decides to keep certain space programs alive, i could get work at vandenberg afb, they use a lot of contractors and the climate is good here with no smog so a lot of people like to live here...la is only a couple of hours away and santa barbara about one hour away

I have actually seen space vehicles fly into Vandenberg airspace on radar.

now now, lets not be too specific

the space shuttles used to fly over here when they landed at EAFB (i used to work for rockwell and saw some of them land (i brought my kids to see them))

i tried to transfer to the rockwell space division for years, but rockwell claimed that i was to valuable where i was

damn

The one I saw was spotted by many observers in the area, and reported in the news. We actually Googled the story several hours later to confirm that we had seen what we observed on scope.

My guess is it was an unclassified mission that had taken off from Cape Canaveral and landed near Vandenberg. If it was something special, then they kept me out of the loop.

The one I saw was spotted by many observers in the area, and reported in the news. We actually Googled the story several hours later to confirm that we had seen what we observed on scope.

My guess is it was an unclassified mission that had taken off from Cape Canaveral and landed near Vandenberg. If it was something special, then they kept me out of the loop.

there is that old 'need to know'

most of the stuff going out of vandyland is classified...oh yes it was designed to launch space shuttles too

we hear stuff going overhead periodically...it is a large base

Yeah, I Googled Vandenberg and spacecraft, and saw that they largely discontinued standard shuttle launches back in 1986. Then there was a bunch of stories about some of the more military-related stuff they are doing. They appeared to have launched stuff in support of satelite maintenence.

Yeah, I Googled Vandenberg and spacecraft, and saw that they largely discontinued standard shuttle launches back in 1986. Then there was a bunch of stories about some of the more military-related stuff they are doing. They appeared to have launched stuff in support of satelite maintenence.

and satellites and antimissile missiles and some stuff that they will not mention except to say to expect a launch on a certain date at a certain time...weather permitting

perhaps, but what if he were questioned under the usa patriot act?

1) perjury only applies to statements made under oath, 2) since Miranda rights are read when someone is arrested, not when they are questioned, it is hard to imagine not reading Miranda rights would be a defense to giving false answers in response to questions, 3) what part of the Patriot Act do you believe permits something different to happen in circumstances such as this, and 4) regardless of how young and naive the young man might have been there seems to be a long stretch of imagination in between "we didn't do nothing" and "we took away some black powder and a laptop"..........

It is against federal law to lie to federal agents even though it is NOT against the law for them to lie to you

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, unless you're a law enforcement agent. Then it's 'good faith' exception

YOU need to know all of your rights available to you in any given situation, whereas a cop only needs to know his 'garrity' right. All others are defended from their union lawyer after the fact.

It is against federal law to lie to federal agents even though it is NOT against the law for them to lie to you

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, unless you're a law enforcement agent. Then it's 'good faith' exception

YOU need to know all of your rights available to you in any given situation, whereas a cop only needs to know his 'garrity' right. All others are defended from their union lawyer after the fact.

i wonder why we do not have a basic law class coupled with a how to run a household class in high school

there is also a two volume book called the way things work that needs to be required reading in high school

i wonder why we do not have a basic law class coupled with a how to run a household class in high school

there is also a two volume book called the way things work that needs to be required reading in high school
what would be 'taught' in this basic law class? there would be no way to teach someone about every single law on the books that they have to obey.

Back