Is it Anyold?

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
Ex atheist champion now believes in god

A British philosophy professor who has been a leading champion of atheism for more than a half-century has changed his mind. He now believes in God more or less based on scientific evidence, and says so on a video released Thursday.

At age 81, after decades of insisting belief is a mistake, Antony Flew has concluded that some sort of intelligence or first cause must have created the universe. A super-intelligence is the only good explanation for the origin of life and the complexity of nature, Flew said in a telephone interview from England.

Flew said he's best labeled a deist like Thomas Jefferson, whose God was not actively involved in people's lives.

"I'm thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins," he said. "It could be a person in the sense of a being that has intelligence and a purpose, I suppose."

More at link...

Apparently Rev. Lionel Blair has failed. Flew must have walked in on him sneaking a bit of Host from a Taburnacle and become disillusioned with atheism...

I'm not convinced that this Antony Flews chap and our own dear AnyOld are one in the same but i suppose it is possible.

When one considers the fact that Mr Flews is approaching 86 years of age now, and probably subject to the terrible affliction of dementia, it would hardly be surprising to learn that the internets address of our little haven of political discourse had suddenly dropped out of his mind.

The Universe is obviously intelligent.

Why that leads some to believe that a grumpy old fart who'se jealous of everything must have created it is beyond me.

Its intelligent in is layout. That doesn't mean there's a consciousness behind it.

The Universe is obviously intelligent.

Why that leads some to believe that a grumpy old fart who'se jealous of everything must have created it is beyond me.

Its intelligent in is layout. That doesn't mean there's a consciousness behind it.

what if consciousness is a result of the layout? It's about all you have left to explain it.

Some force drove the complex formation. I think it's golden ratio fractal symmetry that allows for infinite compression of energy that's behind both the formation of the universe and what we call consciousness.

I think consciousness is an illusion caused by all your parts working in tandem.

And this is actually a pretty old article Damo. Did any just come out in favor of ID?

Ha ha ha! No I have not recanted my thoughts on the lunacy that is religion. (including deism)

Anthony Flew is near death and has obviously weakened?

Back