Is the thread ban censorship?

Is thread banning censorship

• Total voters

canceled.2021.3

Former Vice President
Midcan is convinced that thread banning anyone is censorship.

Now I don't want this thread to devolve into whether people should or shouldn't thread ban. I don't want it to devolve into "you started it". If it descends into that, I will have Grind delete it and will take other appropriate actions.

Here is Midcan's definition of censorship

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information that may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."

I maintain that the bolded words are the key elements that need to be met in order to claim censorship. Does utilizing the thread ban on a private message board meet that standard? I maintain that it does not.

First of all, I am not suppressing his ability to speak his mind or give his opinion. I am not the government, the media. I do not hold a position of power of Midcan. I am most certainly not a group or institution.

If a newspaper does not publish my letter to the editor are they censoring me? Of course not. They can choose to allow whatever content they see fit in their paper. They haven't hindered my ability to speak my mind. They have only limited the audience to which it could be heard. But, I am afforded no right to be heard. That would mean someone would have to be forced to listen which would infringe on their freedoms

I wonder if this will be a time where an issue doesn't fall along partisan lines. We shall see.

Midcan is convinced that thread banning anyone is censorship.

Now I don't want this thread to devolve into whether people should or shouldn't thread ban. I don't want it to devolve into "you started it". If it descends into that, I will have Grind delete it and will take other appropriate actions.

Here is Midcan's definition of censorship

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information that may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, politically incorrect or inconvenient as determined by governments, media outlets, authorities or other groups or institutions."

I maintain that the bolded words are the key elements that need to be met in order to claim censorship. Does utilizing the thread ban on a private message board meet that standard? I maintain that it does not.

First of all, I am not suppressing his ability to speak his mind or give his opinion. I am not the government, the media. I do not hold a position of power of Midcan. I am most certainly not a group or institution.

If a newspaper does not publish my letter to the editor are they censoring me? Of course not. They can choose to allow whatever content they see fit in their paper. They haven't hindered my ability to speak my mind. They have only limited the audience to which it could be heard. But, I am afforded no right to be heard. That would mean someone would have to be forced to listen which would infringe on their freedoms

I wonder if this will be a time where an issue doesn't fall along partisan lines. We shall see.

He seems to think that with his right of free speech comes an obligation that others HAVE to listen.

He wants a captive audience.

Back