Is there a constitutional right to privacy?

Is there a constitutional right to privacy?

• Total voters

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Since reading about the reasoning of the privacy cases, I've always had my doubts as to the logical soundness of the reading of the constitution that provided us with the right to privacy. There were two differing opinions as to its origin. The majority view, written by Harlan, was that it comes from the "penumbras" and "emanations" of the constitution. Those are some nice penumbras and emanations, I guess, but it's simply not written in the text.

The other view, from Goldberg, is that it comes from the 9th. This view hasn't really been taken as seriously. I think that the 9th was simply there to explicitly make clear that these weren't the only rights, and it was legitimate for people to argue for others, but I don't think that it gives judges the ability to simply make up rights that they think would be awfully nice and enforce them with the weight of law. Taking such a view too seriously would undermine the legitimacy of the court, as using such vague and expansive powers liberally would muck the court up in the political process, making themselves just another political actor, like the legislator, but without the legitimacy of a democratic mandate to back them up.

The strongest reasoning I can come up with would probably be something with a conservative basis, much like O'Connor's, who defends it primarily on Stare Decisis grounds. It is not good, after all, for the court to be changing its mind all the time, with little consistency. And, after 50 years, the right to privacy is, arguably, part of the American tradition now. However poorly I may perceive their initial reasoning, it's not like the justices who found the right were insane. And, having survived for 50 years, essentially becoming one of our most sacred rights, and having numerous positive effects, I think it'd be kind of crazy to reverse course now.

Anyway, that's my bipolar and overly lengthy vyvanse induced analysis of the right to privacy. I imagine that pretty much no one is going to agree with it, in favor of denying it in totality or pretending that there can be objectivity on the subject, but whatever.

Last edited:
I believe the protected right to privacy comes from the 4th and 5th, being secure in personal effects and a right protectedby due process of law. All of the penumbras and stare decisis talk generally becomes bench speak to legitimize violating those rights.

I believe the protected right to privacy comes from the 4th and 5th, being secure in personal effects and a right protectedby due process of law. All of the penumbras and stare decisis talk generally becomes bench speak to legitimize violating those rights.

Derp derp blurggg blurrgg derp derp derp derp derp derp

I think it is more likely couched in the 9th. They made it clear that we have more personal rights than those enumerated, this one seems to be a very logical one.

I think it is more likely couched in the 9th. They made it clear that we have more personal rights than those enumerated, this one seems to be a very logical one.

The 9th does not deny the existence of other rights, but I don't think it gives judges the ability to make them up and give them the weight of law. I think it's just there so that if someone is arguing against a law because it violates a right they believe we have, the other side is not justified in ignoring them simply by stating that it's not in the constitution and therefore doesn't exist. The constitution gives us some specially protected rights, it doens't mean that there aren't other rights, or that we shouldn't try to amend the constitution to protect those additional rights.

Anyway, SMY, the 4th gives you some parts of what a right to privacy does. But even things such as "Are wiretaps illegal?" are iffy under the 4th alone. Reading mail? Why would reading mail be unreasonable search and seizure? You give your consent to have your mail read by sending it through the post office. Under even the most literal reading of a right to privacy, however, both such things are obviously illegal. And those are simply the areas in which the 4th most resembles a right to privacy. The expansive right to privacy which gives women the right to choose, or prohibits the government from banning contraceptives? Not even close. If you are doing a straight textualist reading of the constitution, you aren't going to find a right to privacy.

This is one thing I dislike about popular "constitutionalism" as an ideology. Much like any religion, in mythologizing the constitution, they simply bend it to their will. Much like so many "religious" people always have a picture of God that endorses all of their personal values and beliefs, ideological constitutionalism isn't about the text of the document.

iirc....the first case cited the 9th and the 14th to 'create', if you will, a right to privacy under the consitution. it was expanded in subsequent cases, roe v. wade being a big one.

where did you pick up that shit from?

vyvanse induced analysis of the right to privacy

apparently, while under the 'influence' of vyvanse, he was able to form a rational and interesting post, the OP. however, his subsequent posts make no sense and have little, if any merit or logic. you are quite right that we do not give consent to have our mail read simply by using the US postal service, in fact, i'm 99% positive there is a case that states the opposite. but i'm too lazy to check.

Back