Is this the first rap song?

cancel2 2022

Canceled
This is a real oddity from the 70s, it was intended to be a demonstration of how American sounds to foreign ears, specifically Italian. The words are nonsense, but then how many songs can you hear the lyrics clearly anyway?

No, I don't think I you could call it rap.

Older folks just don't appreciate the art form called rap. It is the poetic expression that was born on the street corner. It takes more skill than you realize and they use the vernacular of the streets. I remember my dad telling me to turn off the Moody Blues and try listening to the Mills Brothers. It is a generational thing.

I think it's a lot better than that, considering most of the crap that comes out these days. Anyway that's beside the real point, which is did the Italians invent rap in 1971?

I always thought rap was an evolution of those nice Jamaican gents and their good-natured dance hall toasting, back in the day, don't you know?

Without the likes of King Tubbys and Dennis Alcapones there would be none of your MC Hammers or Vanilla Ices.

Older folks just don't appreciate the art form called rap. It is the poetic expression that was born on the street corner. It takes more skill than you realize and they use the vernacular of the streets. I remember my dad telling me to turn off the Moody Blues and try listening to the Mills Brothers. It is a generational thing.

I didn't say I hated all rap, I especially liked this reworking of It's Like That. Anyway, I hadn't realised that the mean streets of Anchorage gave you such a profound insight into the vagaries of the rap genre. :)

Last edited:
I always thought rap was an evolution of those nice Jamaican gents and their good-natured dance hall toasting, back in the day, don't you know?

Without the likes of King Tubbys and Dennis Alcapones there would be none of your MC Hammers or Vanilla Ices.

Ah toasting, I'd forgotten about that altogether.

are you discounting Psalm 22?

So what's your point?

Psalm 22:1-8 in the St. Albans Psalter. The first words of the Psalm in the Latin Vulgate are "Deus, Deus meus," abbreviated here as DS DS MS.

Psalm_21_Initial_D.jpg

Back