Is this the most amazing picture of all time?

cancel2 2022

Canceled
original.jpg

xlarge.jpg

http://io9.com/5940299/twentynine-of-historys-most-iconic-scientists-in-one-photograph--now-in-color

Last edited:
ah yes, the day when the world turned color. a magnificent moment in history. I wonder how all those great minds figured it out.

I wonder how many of these scientist had been influenced by the works of J.W. Gibbs? I bet the average poster on JPP only recognizes Einstein but he wasn't arguably the greatest mind in this group.

Well Einstein is the most frequently photographed scientist from the era, it would make sense that he'd be the most recognizable. However that doesn't mean that others aren't familiar with several of the scientists, it simply means that they can't place their face. Big fucking deal, we're not hanging out at a cocktail party.

ah yes, the day when the world turned color. a magnificent moment in history. I wonder how all those great minds figured it out.

I am not talking about the photographic aspect of the picture more about the individuals who must comprise the greatest collection of scientists ever photographed together. I mean holy shit, Einstein, Bohr, Pauli, Schrodinger, Curie, Heisenberg, Lorentz, Planck and de Brolie all together.

I am not talking about the photographic aspect of the picture more about the individuals who must comprise the greatest collection of scientists ever photographed together. I mean holy shit, Einstein, Bohr, Pauli, Schrodinger, Curie, Heisenberg, Lorentz, Planck and de Brolie all together.
I remember struggling with Schrodingers cat. How can something be two things at the same time?

He's just being sarcastic again Tom.

I remember struggling with Schrodingers cat. How can something be two things at the same time?

schrodinger wasn't making a point that the cat is actually in some super position of being alive and dead. he was using it as an example of how ridiculous quantum mechanics were and that you can't scale it up to macro levels.

:derp:

for a euro, you are really bad at grasping subtle dry humor. actually, it wasn't even that subtle. yes, I was seriously commenting on the "world changing color" that day instead of all the people in the picture.

He's just being sarcastic again Tom.

Or is he? Visually and artistically it is only thing of interest. What Grind said seems to be the point of the cheap trick.

I know that is not Tom's interest and maybe he is aware of the other aspects. It is an impressive and interesting picture even without the color stuff.

for a euro, you are really bad at grasping subtle dry humor. actually, it wasn't even that subtle. yes, I was seriously commenting on the "world changing color" that day instead of all the people in the picture.

You were right the first time. The B&W is better.

I will take two.

Your humour makes the Atacama desert seem like a veritable wetland.!!

schrodinger wasn't making a point that the cat is actually in some super position of being alive and dead. he was using it as an example of how ridiculous quantum mechanics were and that you can't scale it up to macro levels.

It was basically his attempt to mock the idea of quantum mechanics, but, for whatever reason, in the pop sci world it has transformed into this AMAZING ABSOLUTE FACT, that the cat is both alive and dead. Quantum mechanics, of course, was really controversial when it first came for a lot of physicists. When Heisenburg came up with his uncertainty theorem, that we can't know both the position and velocity of a particle, the first, most natural explanation was that the instruments simply created interference, and that there was some deterministic process going on down there that we just couldn't see. However, that's long been disproven, with quantum mechanics in it's place. And, quantum mechanics is a really weird thing. It's not really even an explanation of what's going on, it's just a model that predicts the measurements of particles. It could suggest a number of bizarre things, but, again, because of the uncertainty principle we can't really know what's actually going on. Schroedinger simply made up an absurd example, that was basically an "Oh yeah?! If quantum mechanics is true, then this absurd thing would be true as well!" Basically, a disproof by contradiction, a reduction ad absurdum. And most people didn't really understand him, and took his statement as literally insisting that this is literally the case.

I know that I understand the analogy. It's a thought experiment about how something can appear to be one thing and then another depending on the point of view of the observer at the same time. It's corrolary is Heisenbergs uncertainty principle.

Or is he? Visually and artistically it is only thing of interest. What Grind said seems to be the point of the cheap trick.

I know that is not Tom's interest and maybe he is aware of the other aspects. It is an impressive and interesting picture even without the color stuff.
No, I've known Grind long enough to know when he's being a smart ass.

Back