It's time for full employment in the US

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://www.cpusa.org/it-s-time-for-full-employment-in-the-u-s/

It's time for full employment in the U.S.

By: SCOTT MARSHALL
January 31 2011

The Republicans campaigned heavily on job creation last fall, but to no one's surprise they are focusing on repealing health care and limiting abortion. Let's remind them that jobs are still the priority and millions are still unemployed. Also, some news about what's happening on the state level in Connecticut and Ohio are below.

21st Century Full Employment & Training Act

Last year Rep. Conyers, D-Mich., introduced legislation with the goal of bringing the national unemployment rate down to 4 percent. He plans on re-introducing this deficit-neutral bill again in this Congress. Please encourage your representative to co-sponsor this legislation.

Another bill, to be introduced soon by Rep. Berkely, D-Nev., will extend unemployment benefits - including for the 99ers (unemployed workers who have exhausted all their benefits). We will give you updates (including the bill numbers) as this information becomes available.

Connecticut

In New Haven, Conn., the newly-formed Jobs and Unemployed Committee of the New Haven Peoples Center will hold a press conference Friday, Feb 3, at the state job center (unemployment office). The press conference will use the U.S. Dept. of Labor's employment report, issued the first Friday of every month, to highlight the wave of 99-ers and the effect this is having on families, communities, and state and local government budgets. A petition calling for extending benefits and immediate action to create jobs will be presented to a Congressional representative.

Ohio

Labor and allies in Ohio including the NAACP, MoveOn and many community groups have formed the Good Jobs, Strong Communities coalition to mobilize opposition to proposals by the new Republican Governor John Kasich for drastic cuts in services, privatization, massive layoffs and crippling of public employee union rights.

The coalition plans to hold three statewide actions before July 1, the date by which the Republican-controlled State Legislature must adopt a new biennial budget. The first is set for March 15, the date by which Kasich must submit his budget proposal, and will involve demonstrations in cities throughout the state.

Kasich, a former managing director of Lehman Brothers, the Wall Street bank, whose collapse brought on the world economic crisis, believes that corporate policies should control state government. He seeks to use a projected $8-10 billion deficit as justification to carry out his anti-labor, anti-people program. One Ohio Now, another labor-community coalition, has shown that the deficit can be closed without cuts and layoffs by closing tax loopholes, restoring previous taxes on profit-swollen corporations and reforming the state income tax in favor of working people.

Democrats are toxic waiste to corp america and you want to blame repubs for employment. LOFL JUNIOR

I am against employment. Why should everyone be happy? Our society needs losers so that the winners can feel that much better. If everyone were always happy, it would be like christmas year round.

this bill is "deficit neutral" because it taxes the kind of high risk trading that put us in this mess in the first place....thus, instead of creating jobs it makes us partners in ending them.....typical liberal approach......end private sector jobs, then put people on public works projects.....

Only libtards think the government can create jobs. :palm:

Actually, in some cases the gov't does create jobs. Right now there are some large scale utility builds and rebuilds going on because of gov't funding. The people involved in those jobs get paid good money for skilled work.

I agree that most of the time it is up to the private sector to create jobs, and rightly so. But gov't money can jumpstart projects that would otherwise not get started in tough economic times.

Actually, in some cases the gov't does create jobs. Right now there are some large scale utility builds and rebuilds going on because of gov't funding. The people involved in those jobs get paid good money for skilled work.

I agree that most of the time it is up to the private sector to create jobs, and rightly so. But gov't money can jumpstart projects that would otherwise not get started in tough economic times.

As a percentage of total jobs, what any government can produce, is a drop in the bucket compared to the private sector. These jobs are also temporary, they go away when the project is finished or funding runs out. Also, they are 'make work' jobs, which actually COST us money. It's like an out-of-work CPA putting a roof on his house... it's a job, and he won't have to pay someone else to do it, and his roof will be repaired, but it would be much better if the CPA found an accounting job in the private sector. Or like my dad paying me $25 to mow the grass when I was young... he could have paid a professional landscaper $30, and gotten a LOT more for his money.

When unemployment is high, it's better for the government to put hands to work on projects that are going to need to get done one day anyway than to just let them go idle. It's a waste for the government to just sit on its hands while there is high unemployment.

As a percentage of total jobs, what any government can produce, is a drop in the bucket compared to the private sector. These jobs are also temporary, they go away when the project is finished or funding runs out. Also, they are 'make work' jobs, which actually COST us money. It's like an out-of-work CPA putting a roof on his house... it's a job, and he won't have to pay someone else to do it, and his roof will be repaired, but it would be much better if the CPA found an accounting job in the private sector. Or like my dad paying me $25 to mow the grass when I was young... he could have paid a professional landscaper $30, and gotten a LOT more for his money.

Its not the best way to boost things up, but it works when nothing else will. And the temporary jobs often run several years, depending on the project. There are powerline projects that started last fall that should be going until 2014 or 2015. The infrastructure desperately needs to be repaired, reworked, and upgraded.

Would it be better if a major manufacturing plant opened? Certainly. But since that is highly unlikely, this puts jobs out there and gets people off welfare and unemployment. Both of those programs are paid entirely by the gov't, whereas many work projects only have matching money from the feds.

Back