J. Geils Dead at age 71

Bummer man...I read that this morning in the News. Most unassuming front man for a band ever. Back in the day everyone thought Pete Wolf was "J. Geils".

Though they had quite a few top 40 hits...their cult classic "Remmber...no anchovies please." was my all time favorite. LOL

Saw them live a couple times, good show band. Still this is my favorite even though it hadn't been recorded at the times I saw them.

i randomly sat next to him on a plane one time. But I didn't know who he was until other people made a big deal. I was like 10 or something

Bummer man...I read that this morning in the News. Most unassuming front man for a band ever. Back in the day everyone thought Pete Wolf was "J. Geils".

Though they had quite a few top 40 hits...their cult classic "Remmber...no anchovies please." was my all time favorite. LOL
Yes...most people thought Wolf was J, no doubt because he was the front man. Or Salwitz, whose sunglasses were kind of omnipresent in group pix.

Props to a guy who has a harp player named 'Magic Dick'.

Saw them live a couple times, good show band. Still this is my favorite even though it hadn't been recorded at the times I saw them.
Yep...I saw them a few times too. I wasn't a fan of Centerfold, as it signaled a change in their status as a band, notwithstanding the cool story behind the song.

Far and away, I liked their Motown covers, and straight blues.

Wolf's improv on 'Musta Got Lost' is classic.

Live version killed

Yes...most people thought Wolf was J, no doubt because he was the front man. Or Salwitz, whose sunglasses were kind of omnipresent in group pix.

Yep...I saw them a few times too. I wasn't a fan of Centerfold, as it signaled a change in their status as a band, notwithstanding the cool story behind the song.

Live version killed

Yeah I just couldn't dig woombagoomba with the green teeth.

I liked, "Don't Try to Hide It". :)

Damn good band. Remember seeing them at the Cape Cod Coliseum. Aerosmith was the warm up band...........

Live version killed

Magic Dick on his lickin' stick

To be honest, I only remember like two tunes from this dude, and never really thought much of them. I plead ignorance to his larger body of work. Given the timeframe, I was more likely to be cranking AC/DC, Scorps, Zep, Priest, and Rush... and cranking them to eleven!

More interesting to me is this human nature of making newsworthy the deaths of relatively obscure, lower tier rock musicians. Why? We all do it, myself included. I won't be surprised if someday I compose a commemorative thread to the passing of Foghat's bass player!

Last edited:
To be honest, I only remember like two tunes from this dude, and never really thought much of them. I plead ignorance to his larger body of work. Given the timeframe, I was more likely to be cranking AC/DC, Scorps, Zep, Priest, and Rush... and cranking them to eleven!

More interesting to me is this human nature of making newsworthy the deaths of relatively obscure, lower tier rock musicians. Why? We all do it, myself included. I won't be surprised if someday I compose a commemorative thread to the passing of Foghat's bass player!
because Rock and Roll is a dying lost art.

For me it is another Boston band that I saw live.
It was a big deal for me at the time and frankly I didn't see them as lower tier compared with say Aerosmith who did have some smashing good hits but also plenty of commercialized drool fests as well.

Toys in the attic +1000
Jamies got a gun - a billion

Last edited:
For me it is another Boston band that I saw live.
It was a big deal for me at the time and frankly I didn't see them as lower tier compared with say Aerosmith who did have some smashing good hits but also plenty of commercialized drool fests as well.

Toys in the attic +1000
Jamies got a gun - a billion

I hear ya. I just assumed they were lower tier because I never listened to them, nor do I personally know anyone who thought highly of them. Doesn't make me correct.

But, that could be because I am misinformed, or because they were more popular on the East Coast, or because I was mostly in the Dead Head and Metal Head tribes...or a combination of all of the above!

I hear ya. I just assumed they were lower tier because I never listened to them, nor do I personally know anyone who thought highly of them. Doesn't make me correct.

But, that could be because I am misinformed, or because they were more popular on the East Coast, or because I was mostly in the Dead Head and Metal Head tribes...or a combination of all of the above!
Ya know The J. Geils band could have been a great, great band but you know...somewhere down the way....the must have got lost.

The three greatest albums of all time. Not necessarily in order

Santana - Abraxas
Derek and the Dominoes
Dark Side of the Moon

Back