Judge says Treasury Department is violating the law by keeping all money the same siz

LadyT

JPP Modarater
Contributor
http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/28/markets/treasury_ruling/index.htm?cnn=yes

-- A federal judge has ruled that the U.S. Treasury Department is violating the law by failing to design and issue currency that is readily distinguishable to blind and visually impaired people.

I agree. There are other reasons it is foolish as well, not the least the ease of counterfeiting.

I'm surprised you agree damo. I figured you'd be inclined to tell the blind to get over it.

I agree too. The big question is what happens next? Are bills distributed on a prospective basis or are we going to try to convert all the current bills to be distinguished by feel?

I'm surprised you agree damo. I figured you'd be inclined to tell the blind to get over it.

I agree too. The big question is what happens next? Are bills distributed on a prospective basis or are we going to try to convert all the current bills to be distinguished by feel?
They'll have to remake the bills. Current bills will not always hold a braille inlay. Imagine that bill that was washed twenty times and has turned into a floppy and impossible-to-put-in-a-machine mess....

How about embossing the imbedded metal strip with braille numbers representing the value of the bill ?
Worn out money is supposed to be pulled from circulation and replaced. They burn lots of money at the treasury I would think.

How about embossing the imbedded metal strip with braille numbers representing the value of the bill ?
Worn out money is supposed to be pulled from circulation and replaced. They burn lots of money at the treasury I would think.
It would be easier to simply make them slightly different sizes. It wouldn't take much: we're not talking about 8 X 10 Benjamins here. My best friend is blind and can tell very minute differences in size quite easily.

They should just make the different demoninations different sizes. I dont think bills last very long in circulation. You never see an old $20 anymore. Make the new ones... different sizes, that change cant cost too much... and problem is solved.

It should never have reqiured a court case to force this. Who appoints the head of the treasury? Who fought against this case?

The Treasury under every Administration has battled with changing the size. They do polls and find out that "most" americans want to keep the money the same way it is now and don't change it. Fearing the stupid little things seems to be a mainstay in US Politics.

The Treasury under every Administration has battled with changing the size. They do polls and find out that "most" americans want to keep the money the same way it is now and don't change it. Fearing the stupid little things seems to be a mainstay in US Politics.

Well it should be changed, and the Current Administration should call for that change, not fight it!

Just because past administrations did not do it does not absolve this one!

Well it should be changed, and the Current Administration should call for that change, not fight it!

Just because past administrations did not do it does not absolve this one!
At what point in my statement did I say that anybody was "absolved". Fighting the strawman!

Changing the size of money will require modification or replacement of thousands of money counting and bundling machines....
But what is a few billion dollars.

instead of going through all tha thigh tech expensve bullcrap, they should just ad an aroma to it. for example, the 100 can smell like ted kennedy's whisky breath after a night out on the cape.............

Back