Just wondering

USFREEDOM911

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN
With the return of the Walking Dead, I've decided to bring back an old question.

There are several situations that could be the end of "civilization", as we know it.

1. A really big volcanic eruption (super volcano).
The Yellowstone Caldera is the volcanic caldera and super volcano located in Yellowstone National Park in the United States, sometimes referred to as the Yellowstone Super volcano. The caldera is located in the northwest corner of Wyoming, in which the vast majority of the park is contained. The major features of the caldera measure about 34 by 45 miles (55 by 72 km). The caldera formed during the last of three super eruptions over the past 2.1 million years. First came the Huckleberry Ridge eruption 2.1 million years ago, which created the Island Park Caldera and the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff. Next came the Mesa Falls eruption 1.3 million years ago, which created the Henry's Fork Caldera and the Mesa Falls Tuff. Finally came the Lava Creek eruption 640,000 years ago, which created the Yellowstone Caldera and the Lava Creek Tuff.
More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Caldera

2. A large meteor impacting earth - Impact event
Impact events appear to have played a significant role in the evolution of the Solar System since its formation. Major impact events have significantly shaped Earth's history, have been implicated in the formation of the Earth–Moon system, the evolutionary history of life, the origin of water on Earth and several mass extinctions. Notable impact events include the Late Heavy Bombardment, which occurred early in history of the Earth–Moon system and the Chicxulub impact, 66 million years ago, believed to be the cause of the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event.
More info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event

3. A pandemic - Influenza
Influenza pandemics and epidemics have apparently occurred since at least the Middle Ages. When pandemics appear, 50% or more of an affected population can be infected in a single year, and the number of deaths caused by influenza can dramatically exceed what is normally expected. Since 1500, there appear to have been 13 or more influenza pandemics. In the past 120 years there were undoubted pandemics in 1889, 1918, 1957, 1968, and 1977. Although most experts believe we will face another influenza pandemic, it is impossible to predict when it will appear, where it will originate, or how severe it will be. Nor is there agreement about the subtype of influenza virus most likely to cause the next pandemic. The continuing spread of H5N1 highly pathogenic avian influenza viruses has heightened interest in pandemic prediction. Despite uncertainties in the historical record of the pre-virology era, study of previous pandemics may help guide future pandemic planning and lead to a better understanding of the complex ecobiology underlying the formation of pandemic strains of influenza A viruses.
More info at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2720801/

If anyone else things that there maybe something more possible, please post your ideas.

[SIZE=+1]Cumbre Vieja volcano on the island of La Palma, in the Canaries, is unstable and could plunge into the ocean during the volcano's next eruption. Most of the US East Coast would be wiped out by a mega tsunami. [/SIZE]

nuclear warfare
a gamma ray burst
the sun expanding and swallowing us whole

I think the possibility of nuclear warfare is pretty much a thing of the past, unless society falls completely apart and some idiot decides to take everyone with him.
A gamma ray burst would be like pointing a laser pointer, for one burst of light, in a particular direction and hoping that something would pass through it at exactly that moment
There has been no evidence that our sun is anywhere near the point where it would expand, in it's death throes.
But good ideas.

[SIZE=+1]Cumbre Vieja volcano on the island of La Palma, in the Canaries, is unstable and could plunge into the ocean during the volcano's next eruption. Most of the US East Coast would be wiped out by a mega tsunami. [/SIZE]

It's also predicted that such a tsunami would also affect the costal regions in the English channel.
I would also be worried about how much volcanic ash would be expelled and which direction it would be pushed by the upper winds.

Since the prediction is that it would take 12 hours to reach the US, I wonder if a low yield nuclear bomb could be dropped in it's path and maybe disrupt the tsunami?

I wanted to add that in the past, some people have said that they would not want to live in a post apocalyptic world.
I would want to give it my best effort; but how many of you would want to survive and how many would rather just cash it all in?

Back