Justifiable ethnic profiling for the fearful

christiefan915

Catalyst
Here ya go bravs. A real Arab speaking Arabic getting kicked off the plane. Now we can all sleep better until the next time. :D

"If you speak Arabic, best keep your mouth shut when you’re boarding a plane in the United States. That seems to be the lesson from the humiliating experience that 26-year-old UC–Berkeley senior Khairuldeen Makhzoomi lived through when he was supposed to fly from Los Angeles to Oakland earlier this month.* Makhzoomi, an Iraqi refugee, was speaking to his uncle in Baghdad before the plane took off. And it seems the common Arabic expression “inshallah,” meaning “God willing,” set off alarm bells inside the head of a passenger. Makhzoomi noticed the female passenger was staring at him when he hung up and then she got up and left her seat.

“She kept staring at me and I didn’t know what was wrong,” he told the Daily Californian, a student-run newspaper at UC–Berkeley. “Then I realized what was happening and I just was thinking ‘I hope she’s not reporting me.’ ” Makhzoomi was quickly pulled off the plane. The passenger apparently said she had heard the word shahid, which means martyr. Makhzoomi denied that was the case. “I told them, ‘This is what Islamophobia looks like,’ ” he told the San Francisco Chronicle. “And that’s when they said I could not get on the plane, and they called the FBI.”

By the time the student was taken back to the gate, there were police dogs and security officers waiting for him. Makhzoomi says authorities repeatedly questioned him and one officer even allegedly publicly searched his genital area. “That is when I couldn’t handle it and my eyes began to water,” he said. “The way they searched me and the dogs, the officers, people were watching me and the humiliation made me so afraid.” Hours later, authorities allowed him to leave, but Southwest refused to fly him and refunded his ticket.

Southwest confirmed it “decided to investigate potentially threatening comments made onboard our aircraft” and “made the decision to deny boarding to this customer.”

Islamic leaders immediately expressed concern this was another example of how profiling is becoming more rampant. “We’re concerned that this is part of a trend of Muslims being profiled and their right to travel being impacted,” Zahra Billoo, executive director of the San Francisco chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...i_claims_was_kicked_off_southwest_flight.html

This country was founded on the principle of assumption of guilt. [/sarc]

Actually, if anyone cares to read history, this country was founded on the dread that a pure democracy would trample the rights of any unpopular minority. That is why we have a representative republic, instead of a pure democracy. Democracy was somewhat of a pejorative term back then, resulting in three branches of government- law making, law enforcement, and the judicial branch to ultimately protect the rights of minorities. The bill of rights (that's right, even the second amendment) was expressly enacted to protect each individual citizen from the arbitrary whims of any zealous majority. Now, we have the fear of terror changing our core beliefs? That man had his rights violated. That woman feared a foreign language. But it is okay to let her fear trump his basic human rights? Our values are falling victim to our fears. And what more could any terrorist hope for?

Here ya go bravs. A real Arab speaking Arabic getting kicked off the plane. Now we can all sleep better until the next time. :D

"If you speak Arabic, best keep your mouth shut when you’re boarding a plane in the United States. That seems to be the lesson from the humiliating experience that 26-year-old UC–Berkeley senior Khairuldeen Makhzoomi lived through when he was supposed to fly from Los Angeles to Oakland earlier this month.* Makhzoomi, an Iraqi refugee, was speaking to his uncle in Baghdad before the plane took off. And it seems the common Arabic expression “inshallah,” meaning “God willing,” set off alarm bells inside the head of a passenger. Makhzoomi noticed the female passenger was staring at him when he hung up and then she got up and left her seat.

“She kept staring at me and I didn’t know what was wrong,” he told the Daily Californian, a student-run newspaper at UC–Berkeley. “Then I realized what was happening and I just was thinking ‘I hope she’s not reporting me.’ ” Makhzoomi was quickly pulled off the plane. The passenger apparently said she had heard the word shahid, which means martyr. Makhzoomi denied that was the case. “I told them, ‘This is what Islamophobia looks like,’ ” he told the San Francisco Chronicle. “And that’s when they said I could not get on the plane, and they called the FBI.”

By the time the student was taken back to the gate, there were police dogs and security officers waiting for him. Makhzoomi says authorities repeatedly questioned him and one officer even allegedly publicly searched his genital area. “That is when I couldn’t handle it and my eyes began to water,” he said. “The way they searched me and the dogs, the officers, people were watching me and the humiliation made me so afraid.” Hours later, authorities allowed him to leave, but Southwest refused to fly him and refunded his ticket.

Southwest confirmed it “decided to investigate potentially threatening comments made onboard our aircraft” and “made the decision to deny boarding to this customer.”

Islamic leaders immediately expressed concern this was another example of how profiling is becoming more rampant. “We’re concerned that this is part of a trend of Muslims being profiled and their right to travel being impacted,” Zahra Billoo, executive director of the San Francisco chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slat...i_claims_was_kicked_off_southwest_flight.html

That's why I always fly on Arab airlines, they never blow up their own. Apart from that Qatar Airlines is just bloody great as is Emirates. There is no plane flying that can beat an Airbus A380!

This country was founded on the principle of assumption of guilt. [/sarc]

Actually, if anyone cares to read history, this country was founded on the dread that a pure democracy would trample the rights of any unpopular minority. That is why we have a representative republic, instead of a pure democracy. Democracy was somewhat of a pejorative term back then, resulting in three branches of government- law making, law enforcement, and the judicial branch to ultimately protect the rights of minorities. The bill of rights (that's right, even the second amendment) was expressly enacted to protect each individual citizen from the arbitrary whims of any zealous majority. Now, we have the fear of terror changing our core beliefs? That man had his rights violated. That woman feared a foreign language. But it is okay to let her fear trump his basic human rights? Our values are falling victim to our fears. And what more could any terrorist hope for?

which is how the right planned to demean democracy.

think of how many years you saw asshole republicans repeat the meme "we are not a democracy"

they tried so hard to get the American people to HATE the word

they are fascists

This is like the fourth incident from Southwest. Never have they issued an apology for their profiling. They should be stripped of their flying privileges until they can rectify this, a violation of the Civil Rights act.

#boycottsouthwest

Arabs need to start pointing out white people with bogus terrorism concerns. Let's see if the white people get removed from the plane with no apology according to this "following normal procedure".

welcome to another aspect of the statists desire for a police state. 'See something, say something' is the norm anymore. it's better to be safe and secure than to be free. thanks libs and cons.

This is like the fourth incident from Southwest. Never have they issued an apology for their profiling. They should be stripped of their flying privileges until they can rectify this, a violation of the Civil Rights act.

#boycottsouthwest

I notice you didn't have anything critical to say about your beloved SS group, the TSA. why is that, statist?

Back