Kyoto Protocol...

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
"We will not submit this for ratification until there is meaningful participation by key developing nations."

Who said that?

It was Clinton or Gore. I forget exactly how this went down, but I think that Clinton had signed the treaty, but the Senate voted by a blowout not to ratify it, and then one of them said this in response. Then they were accused of trying to circumvent Congress through EPA regulations that would have upheld the spirit of the Kyoto treaty. I don't remember all of the details.

But there was no support for this in the Senate, and I believe this quote is taken out of context. I believe it was in response to the Senate's vote. They were trying to get more developing countries on board so that there might be a chance of Senate ratification.

It was Clinton or Gore. I forget exactly how this went down, but I think that Clinton had signed the treaty, but the Senate voted by a blowout not to ratify it, and then one of them said this in response. Then they were accused of trying to circumvent Congress through EPA regulations that would have upheld the spirit of the Kyoto treaty. I don't remember all of the details.

But there was no support for this in the Senate, and I believe this quote is taken out of context. I believe it was in response to the Senate's vote. They were trying to get more developing countries on board so that there might be a chance of Senate ratification.
It was Al Gore, in 1997. The Senate had just voted to cancel a similar treaty by the super-slim margin of 95 to 0. Clinton took on the Kyoto protocol, signed it but never presented it to the Senate at all.

Al Gore made the point above when asked if they were considering putting forward to Congress...

Back