Lady T and Affirmitive Action

cawacko

Hello Lady T - I wanted to add another point to your post on the thread you started regarding A.A.

One reason A.A. becomes more controversial at schools like Cal Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan and the Ivy Leagues is that they are such good schools with such high demand. The norm is to have anywhere from 10k to 15k kids apply for 3k openings. As a result some qualified kids aren't going to get in.

The school mentioned in your article I believe was Moorehouse but it might have been another school. Either way I know Moorehouse and other black colleges are excellent schools as I had a handful of friends and classmates attend from high school. I do not have actual statistics in front of me but I will surmise the numbers applying to Moorehouse for the same number of limited slots are not the same as the schools I mention above. Your article never stated underqualified white students were taking the place of more qualified black students. My point is that I don't your comparison was apples to apples as the two are not equivalent.

Hello Lady T - I wanted to add another point to your post on the thread you started regarding A.A.

One reason A.A. becomes more controversial at schools like Cal Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan and the Ivy Leagues is that they are such good schools with such high demand. The norm is to have anywhere from 10k to 15k kids apply for 3k openings. As a result some qualified kids aren't going to get in.

The school mentioned in your article I believe was Moorehouse but it might have been another school. Either way I know Moorehouse and other black colleges are excellent schools as I had a handful of friends and classmates attend from high school. I do not have actual statistics in front of me but I will surmise the numbers applying to Moorehouse for the same number of limited slots are not the same as the schools I mention above. Your article never stated underqualified white students were taking the place of more qualified black students. My point is that I don't your comparison was apples to apples as the two are not equivalent.

The difficulty in your question is that I personally don't believe that affirmative action leaves qualified students out in the cold whether they are recruiting white students or black students. But you're right, the article didn't specify numbers. However, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume (gasp.....) that there in the colleges' efforts to recruit a more ethnically diverse student body there were black students with higher GPAs and/or SAT scores that didn't get in as opposed to their white counter parts that were accepted. Based on the rants and bitching and moaning that I've seen on the net, most that are adamently against it whine about the degradation and hardships that the white man has to endure because of those two specific factors. I did a quick google and didn't come up with any emperical evidence, but I'd bet my left nut that there are cases where that has happened. But again, I don't think that those individuals are necessarily discriminated against or will be any worse off in life in the grand scheme.

More importantly, when I think back to my college years, I learned the most from my fellow students and their experiences in life. You'd miss out on the college experience if you went to harvard and were only surrounded by spelling bee freaks and neurotic overachievers that only focused on grades and the next test.

More importantly, when I think back to my college years, I learned the most from my fellow students and their experiences in life. You'd miss out on the college experience if you went to harvard and were only surrounded by spelling bee freaks and neurotic overachievers that only focused on grades and the next test.

You said before you don't believe AA leaves qualified students out but your comment above implies a more well rounded education includes those who are not necessarily the most qualified.

I agree a more diverse (in ways other than just race) class can provide for an excellent learning environment. I don't believe schools should be mandated by the federal government to diversify though. If Harvard wants to take all spelling bee geeks then so be it.

You said before you don't believe AA leaves qualified students out but your comment above implies a more well rounded education includes those who are not necessarily the most qualified.

I don't think that SAT scores or GPA exclusively dictate that someone's more qualified. There are a host of other factors that can go into it.

They actually let in a few who are specifically supposed to get the low grades because those neurotics freak when they are on the ones who get them. They have no capacity for what they see as failure.

What's the point. It's not like your or my opinion matters anyway.

You're right our opinions don't matter. But if I'm going to waste time on this board I'd prefer to have discussions with people.

Really? Discussions? Why?

I just lurk, and once in a while sexually harrass someone. I've been reported for it, but nothing punative was done, so far.

But, hey, to each their own, if you want to have discussions, that's your kink. Weird.

Welllllll, my opinion matters!

The opinion of every woman on this board matters, greatly! Here, it's the men who are the entertainment, and their "discussions" can be ignored. Sometimes they get above themselves and start talking about issues. Total bluestockings. ;)

Grades and overachievement are the whole purpose of academically elite universities. If you don't value grades and achievement, and maxin and relaxin is more what you're into, perhaps you should consider Jamie kennedy university.

Eilte universities also hold open seats for family of alumni. Didn't Bush go to ivy league schools ? What a waste of educators time that worked out to be.

Grades and overachievement are the whole purpose of academically elite universities. If you don't value grades and achievement, and maxin and relaxin is more what you're into, perhaps you should consider Jamie kennedy university.

They are a significant part of the package yes, but if you do other things that are impressive to show leadership and and potential, I think those should have the ability to overshadow a slightly lower grade or SAT score.
For instance a kid has a 3.4/3.5 (those are good/respectable grades), and gets an 1400 on their SAT (aren't they doubled now?) but this kid started a charitable foundation or is a piano prodigy or was a former refugee who managed to get his family out of harms way or whatever..............the point is that there are other things in life that should go toward

They are a significant part of the package yes, but if you do other things that are impressive to show leadership and and potential, I think those should have the ability to overshadow a slightly lower grade or SAT score.
For instance a kid has a 3.4/3.5 (those are good/respectable grades), and gets an 1400 on their SAT (aren't they doubled now?) but this kid started a charitable foundation or is a piano prodigy or was a former refugee who managed to get his family out of harms way or whatever..............the point is that there are other things in life that should go toward

They're called resume padding activities. it's padding, trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You can put lipstick on your momma, but still, nobody will pay to have sex with her.

Back