Latest outrage from the "Culture Wars"

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
TheoCons freak out about a Hindu chaplain giving a routine invocation in the United States Senate. I heard on the radio that some Bush republicans (aka, christian theocrats) in the Senate chamber tried to shout down the Hindu chaplain.

Here's the statement from the American Taliban...ummm, I mean the prominent relgious right organization, AFA:

"In Hindu, you have not one God, but many, many, many, many, many gods," [David Barton] explains. "And certainly that was never in the minds of those who did the Constitution, did the Declaration [of Independence] when they talked about Creator -- that's not one that fits here because we don't know which creator we're talking about within the Hindu religion."

Hmm...

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1782

http://www.americablog.com/2007/07/bushs-religious-right-friends-say-hindu.html

Last edited:
I notice you cut off the first part of that quote there Cypress.

I'll provide it.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." – Thomas Jefferson (1781)

It doesn't take away from the point, but it adds to the power of the quote itself.

Back