Lawmaker finds herself on no-fly list

tianabautre

Contributor
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15491571/from/RS.3/

"SANTA ANA, Calif. - A California congresswoman said she was briefly denied access to a United Airlines flight last week because her name appeared on a “no fly list” set up after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks"

Although she was allowed to fly, this really does frighten me. What in the world are we becoming? Who designates that you are on a "No-Fly" list. The red tape around getting off of it is ridiculous.

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68974,00.html

"O'Sullivan suggested that travelers who continually experience difficulty getting a boarding pass not call, but instead fill out a form available on the TSA's website.

As of August 2005, 26,000 people have submitted that form, O'Sullivan said. "

We are literally dragging our knuckles back into the stone ages. No Trial no jury, people don't even know they are on one until they get to the airports. Who's going to reimburse them for lost tickets and vacation $$? I have no faith in airline employees the bureaucracy of our of gov't to administer something like this effectively and justly.

I highly doubt everyone on this list poses a serious threat. But at the very least they should inform people immediately when they are on the list and there needs to be just cause as to why they are kept off of planes.

But many of those people on the list are GASP! Liberals.....
And some I am sure attended college classes on the middle east and Islam.....
And some even have arabic family history or arabic sounding names.

And after all if they are innocent they won't mind a bit to have their travel plans trashed.

26, 000 people.... yeah just a slight glitch in fatherland securitys systems ;)

Over 44,000 names are on the list including such familiar and widespread monikers as John Smith and Robert Johnson. Many people are tagged every day who are doing nothing, have done nothing, and won't do anything, and it is nearly impossible to get off. Even Randi Rhodes was on it, and Ted Kennedy was on it until he raised a public stink. The whole idea is pretty insane and shows what kind of situation the Bushites have fostered.

the 26,000 figure was the number of people that had filed paperwork to be removed from the list.....just a few inaccuracies...

Over 44,000 names are on the list including such familiar and widespread monikers as John Smith and Robert Johnson. Many people are tagged every day who are doing nothing, have done nothing, and won't do anything, and it is nearly impossible to get off. Even Randi Rhodes was on it, and Ted Kennedy was on it until he raised a public stink. The whole idea is pretty insane and shows what kind of situation the Bushites have fostered.

It really does remind me of the Gest@po. No one knows how they get on these lists, but they are. And apparently its a nightmare getting of them. There are a lot of parallels one can make to the n azi regime and the bush administration. This along with the secret tribunals, flagrant misuse of propaganda, a war machine and nationalism all make for a deadly combination. When is enough enough?

the 26,000 figure was the number of people that had filed paperwork to be removed from the list.....just a few inaccuracies...

The problem is that this figure in and of itself is worthless, the important figure is how many of the 26,000 who submitted the form actually had their name removed from the list. Except for people like Kennedy or others with high public profiles I would bet very few have been successful in getting their names removed. There have been several people with highly popular and pervasive names, like Robert Johnson, who have been unable to get their names removed after numerous filings of the forms and other attempts at getting their names removed.

The problem is that this figure in and of itself is worthless, the important figure is how many of the 26,000 who submitted the form actually had their name removed from the list. Except for people like Kennedy or others with high public profiles I would bet very few have been successful in getting their names removed. There have been several people with highly popular and pervasive names, like Robert Johnson, who have been unable to get their names removed after numerous filings of the forms and other attempts at getting their names removed.

I think the bigger question is how did they get on teh list in the first place? Shouldn't they have a right to know what it is the state is accusing them of doing/being if they aren't going to let them travel on planes.

I think the bigger question is how did they get on teh list in the first place? Shouldn't they have a right to know what it is the state is accusing them of doing/being if they aren't going to let them travel on planes.

Not in the Bush administration. Fatherland security rules.

Back