Leach has been fired

the wussy so of ESPN analyst James was made to sit in a dark room which the team dr said was a good move. He was supervised by trainers.
We had a 19x state champion wrestling coach fired because he slapped a judges son at practice. NO nurse needed no injury, just the spoiled brats pride.
It was a rich catholic school, and thankfully the wrestling alumni raise $500,000 for the fired coach to have as a retirement fund.

I'd be willing to bet he winds up with more than $400K a year, he got screwed come some gay rich kid whinned to daddy and it got on ESPN.

It makes me wonder how many lawsuits Bear Bryant would have had over his summer football camp in Junction Texas.
I know a friend of my fathers who played under Woody. Tells a story of how Woody was dogging him after a screwup in 2 a days in 100 deg heat. He turned back and yelled in Woody's face. Said Woody palm slapped him so hard up side his head that his ear bled. Said that was the last time he fucked with the old man.

The funny thing was that when he told his parents about the incident his father told him if it happened again he'd kick his ass. Imagine that happening today?

I know a friend of my fathers who played under Woody. Tells a story of how Woody was dogging him after a screwup in 2 a days in 100 deg heat. He turned back and yelled in Woody's face. Said Woody palm slapped him so hard up side his head that his ear bled. Said that was the last time he fucked with the old man.

The funny thing was that when he told his parents about the incident his father told him if it happened again he'd kick his ass. Imagine that happening today?

In those days coaches were tough as nails and their players knew it (or found out quickly).

He'll have a job in a couple weeks. I hope tech goes on a losing streak like post Knight Indiana.

We'll see; the bloom has been off the rose for longer than I realized this season.

Then Tech hired Knight, who subsequently resigned after a couple of years to clear the way for the job to be given to his son. No lie!

I am going to go with.... NO...

Leach's response

Here's what Mike Leach had to say:

Statement from Mike Leach regarding termination
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 7:10 PM CST
LUBBOCK, TX (MIKE LEACH PRESS RELEASE) - The following statement was released from Mike Leach regarding his recent termination from Texas Tech University as Head Football Coach.

"I want everyone to know what a privilege and pleasure it has been to teach and coach more than 400 student-athletes at Texas Tech University over the past 10 years.

When I arrived at Texas Tech, the football program was on NCAA probation and the graduation rate was far below the national average. However, in the past 10 years, Tech has been to 10 straight bowl games, has the third best record in the Big 12 Conference, and has the highest graduation rate for football players of any public institution in the country.

Over the past several months, there have been individuals in the Texas Tech administration, Board of Regents and booster groups who have dealt in lies, and continue to do so. These lies have led to my firing this morning. I steadfastly refuse to deal in any lies, and am disappointed that I have not been afforded the opportunity for the truth to be known.

Texas Tech's decision to deal in lies and fabricate a story which led to my firing, includes, but is not limited by, the animosity remaining from last year's contract negotiations. I will not tolerate such retaliatory action; additionally, we will pursue all available legal remedies.

These actions taken by Texas Tech have severely damaged my reputation and public image. In addition, Texas Tech has caused harm to not only my family, but to the entire Red Raider nation and the sport of college football.

As you know, I prefer to engage in question and answer sessions; however, in this instance my counsel has advised me to simply make a statement. There will be time to answer questions about this issue in the future, but the serious legal nature of this situation prevents me from going into further detail at this time."

In those days coaches were tough as nails and their players knew it (or found out quickly).
Well not only that but your parents expected that kind of discipline and expected you to respect your betters. I can imagine what would have happened if I told my old man I mouthed of to one of my high school coaches. He'd have given me a serious ass whooping.

Well not only that but your parents expected that kind of discipline and expected you to respect your betters. I can imagine what would have happened if I told my old man I mouthed of to one of my high school coaches. He'd have given me a serious ass whooping.

Its funny that the coaches like Woody and Bear would be reviled in today's world, but were so beloved by their players. The young men who stayed in and didn't quit, all say those men were the greatest things in their lives.

I agree, Mott. My Dad would have blistered my ass for mouthing off.

Its funny that the coaches like Woody and Bear would be reviled in today's world, but were so beloved by their players. The young men who stayed in and didn't quit, all say those men were the greatest things in their lives.

I agree, Mott. My Dad would have blistered my ass for mouthing off.

That may be true for Bear. Not Woody. Lost of his players didn't like him. They all respected him but many of his players had no love loss for Woody. Woody was a great coach and a great motivater but he had a serious anger problem and often treated his players like dirt. His players certainly respected him but they didn't always love him.

In 1974 Rose Bowl for example. To give you an idea how the 1974 team felt about Woody. In 1973 he took the team out CA 3 weeks before the game where he instituted curfews and two a day practices that he ran like boot camp. There were no excursions to Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm or anything since it might interfere with practice. Ohio State got embarrassed by USC.

In 74 Ohio State was undefeated going into the Michigan game against an undefeated Michigan team. They tied. The Big 10 conference AD's voted to send Ohio State to the Rose bowl. While the AD's were voting the Ohio State team took a vote and told Woody that they didn't want to go to the Rose Bowl that they wanted to stay home and enjoy the holidays rather than go to CA and get treated like shit. Woody folded on them. Had to promise the team he'd behave himself before the team would agree to go to the Rose Bowl. This was never made public when it happened but can you imagine how embarrassed Hayes would have been? Must have worked. OSU crushed USC in the 74 Rose Bowl.

That may be true for Bear. Not Woody. Lost of his players didn't like him. They all respected him but many of his players had no love loss for Woody. Woody was a great coach and a great motivater but he had a serious anger problem and often treated his players like dirt. His players certainly respected him but they didn't always love him.

In 1974 Rose Bowl for example. To give you an idea how the 1974 team felt about Woody. In 1973 he took the team out CA 3 weeks before the game where he instituted curfews and two a day practices that he ran like boot camp. There were no excursions to Disneyland or Knotts Berry Farm or anything since it might interfere with practice. Ohio State got embarrassed by USC.

In 74 Ohio State was undefeated going into the Michigan game against an undefeated Michigan team. They tied. The Big 10 conference AD's voted to send Ohio State to the Rose bowl. While the AD's were voting the Ohio State team took a vote and told Woody that they didn't want to go to the Rose Bowl that they wanted to stay home and enjoy the holidays rather than go to CA and get treated like shit. Woody folded on them. Had to promise the team he'd behave himself before the team would agree to go to the Rose Bowl. This was never made public when it happened but can you imagine how embarrassed Hayes would have been? Must have worked. OSU crushed USC in the 74 Rose Bowl.

Wow, I never knew that about Woody. The stories about Bear, from his players, always talk about how tough he was and about how he had such a positive effect on them.

Back