Led Zeppelin

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
This is my tribute thread to Led Zeppelin. Their influence on Rock n Roll is legion. Granted the Beatles and Stones had huge influences but listen to rock music today and no band has had the influence on modern rock that Led Zeppelin has. The hard driving, high energy, syncopatic wall of sound we now take for granted in Rock music just simply did not exist before Zeppelin came on the scene. I was 10 when I first heard them and I was like Whoa, WTF is this! AWESOME!!

Their song "Rock n Roll" is an excellent example of what I mean. Drummers in rock bands prior to Zeppelin, and there were a lot of good drummers, but they were not the stars. They set the rythem for the band, they were the time keepers but listen to what Zeppelin did in this song. They made the drummer the star and put him on a level with the lead vocals and the rest of the instruments supported the groove Bonheim sets with the drum......and Rock n Roll was never the same since! Keep in mind there hadn't been a rock song like this before where the drums were the star of the song. These guys were true pioneers of modern music.

This is my tribute thread to Led Zeppelin. Their influence on Rock n Roll is legion. Granted the Beatles and Stones had huge influences but listen to rock music today and no band has had the influence on modern rock that Led Zeppelin has. The hard driving, high energy, syncopatic wall of sound we now take for granted in Rock music just simply did not exist before Zeppelin came on the scene. I was 10 when I first heard them and I was like Whoa, WTF is this! AWESOME!!

Their song "Rock n Roll" is an excellent example of what I mean. Drummers in rock bands prior to Zeppelin, and there were a lot of good drummers, but they were not the stars. They set the rythem for the band, they were the time keepers but listen to what Zeppelin did in this song. They made the drummer the star and put him on a level with the lead vocals and the rest of the instruments supported the groove Bonheim sets with the drum......and Rock n Roll was never the same since! Keep in mind there hadn't been a rock song like this before where the drums were the star of the song. These guys were true pioneers of modern music.

I paid around a dollar to see them at Leeds University in the '70s, they weren't bad value.

Back