Lee Greenwood refuses to perform for vets/cops over $2000 check....

Damocles

Accedo!
Staff member
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/article/urn:newsml:cp.org:20070919:TV-23036017__ER:1

Lee Greenwood cancels patriotic 'Parade of Honor' concert in payment dispute
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 19, 2007 at 4:35 pm

DENVER - Country music singer Lee Greenwood, best known for his patriotic anthem "God Bless the USA," refused to take the stage for a concert honouring veterans, police and firefighters in a dispute over payment.

Greenwood cancelled as headliner for a concert Saturday that followed the "Colorado State Parade of Honor" in downtown Denver after the organizer couldn't come up with US$20,000 cash or cashier's cheque required by the contract, his manager said.

Jerry Bentley, Greenwood's Nashville, Tenn.-based manager, said Greenwood cancelled his appearance after the concert organizer paid $10,000 in advance but offered only $2,000 in cash and a $2,000 personal cheque on the day of the show.

This is about the stupidest business decision I have ever seen. He may recover if he makes some kind of amends but... come on...

Okay, according to the organizer of the event they had the 6000K that they owed him to play, $4000 in cash and $2000 in the form of a check from the Knights of Columbus (Fraternity of Catholics about 1.7 Million members strong).

The Manager refused to take the check, only in cash... He said, "We won't take a personal check from a 'fly by night' organization!"

The KOC person stated that he would contact his organization of 1.7 Million members and ensure that he would never be hired to play for them again. The manager got huffy and said, then we're gone.

Well, an audience member offered 2000K in cash to get the show on the road but the crowd refused to allow them to take it, instead got together and sang a rendition of "God Bless America" instead.

Well.............

This is about the stupidest business decision I have ever seen. He may recover if he makes some kind of amends but... come on...

Okay, according to the organizer of the event they had the 6000K that they owed him to play, $4000 in cash and $2000 in the form of a check from the Knights of Columbus (Fraternity of Catholics about 1.7 Million members strong).

The Manager refused to take the check, only in cash... He said, "We won't take a personal check from a 'fly by night' organization!"

The KOC person stated that he would contact his organization of 1.7 Million members and ensure that he would never be hired to play for them again. The manager got huffy and said, then we're gone.

Well, an audience member offered 2000K in cash to get the show on the road but the crowd refused to allow them to take it, instead got together and sang a rendition of "God Bless America" instead.

Seems to me that Lee needs to fire and replace his business manager...if he was in on it...then he will go down with the 'Dixie Chicks'...;)

Seems to me that Lee needs to fire and replace his business manager...if he was in on it...then he will go down with the 'Dixie Chicks'...;)
He was literally in the house, had done sound checks, and was ready to play. A portion of the blame has to go to Lee. There is no doubt he could have told his manager to stuff it and take the 2k check, or even play without the check. 18,000 is plenty for the crowd he was playing for.

I agree..............

He was literally in the house, had done sound checks, and was ready to play. A portion of the blame has to go to Lee. There is no doubt he could have told his manager to stuff it and take the 2k check, or even play without the check. 18,000 is plenty for the crowd he was playing for.

If it is as you presented it...he is a 'Jerk'! To bad...I really 'liked'(past tense) his music!

If it is as you presented it...he is a 'Jerk'! To bad...I really 'liked'(past tense) his music!
Yeah, that's why I said it was a stupid business decision. This will kill his career if he isn't smart enough to fix it, it pretty much was built on one song that nobody would hire him to play after this.

He'll have to return here and do something to make up for his error and there still will be people who will refuse to accept any recompense for this egregious error.

So greenwood is a Republican, what of it ?

Give it a rest.............

So you deny voting for Bush ?
registration does not matter , only the vote matters.
Bush has been very good for the independent voter registration rolls :D

I have said and you acknowledged several times in the board that I voted for GW twice...so what...still a better choice than Al Green Peace 'I invented the internet' dude!

Nope...

That is soo wimpy...At least I did not vote for....

Not whimpy at all..I admitted I voted for GW..and guess what I like the dude!
Al Green Peace Gore I am also familiar with from the VN era...he was the whimp!...as was Billy Bob..who snitched for the CIA on fellow students while attending college in Jolly old England(to avoid the draft)...so I like the Cheerleader way more...at least he admitted to being a party guy in school...not claiming to be a Scholar!;)

Back