Leopard is the next Vista

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2223921,00.asp

I'm not sure what ticks me off more about Leoptard (I can't take credit for that nickname—some Brit coined it): the fact that so many of the semi-important changes don't work, the fact that Apple turned a stable OS into a crash-happy glitz fest, or that the annoying, scruffy Live Free or Die Hard actor infecting my TV (and our Web site, by the way) is pretending that Leopard is better than Vista. It's not better than Vista. Leopard is Vista. And Tiger is better than both of them!

Mac OS X Leopard Video Review I had to be talked, wined, dined, and peer-pressured into buying my first MacBook Pro this past January. But once I plunked down the bucks for the slightly less hardware oomph per dollar than I'm used to, I was impressed by one thing: Everything. Just. Worked. Period.

Tiger just works. End of story.

But Apple marketing has the swinging pair of crabapples to actually print "Leopard Just Works" on its Web site. Hey, at least Microsoft reps have the decency to look a little abashed when you point out their product's screwups. Apple reps just glare at you like they're daring you to say something. Well, I've got something to say. Several somethings.

XP Pro pre-SP1 crashed all the time, and Microsoft owned up to it—mostly. XP Pro post-SP2 crashed once in a while, and we sighed and kept working while Microsoft looked embarrassed and yelled at someone to work faster on SP3. From the start, Vista crashed noticeably less than XP Pro with SP2; it just doesn't work with 50 percent of new software—a year after its shrink-wrapped release. Cue the sound of teeth gnashing. But I digress. Here's the point, in case any Apple reps missed it: Microsoft has delivered clear improvements in stability over time—a feat you'd think Apple might want to emulate.

Let's see, Tiger crashed—oh yeah, NEVER. Ten months and I'm installing everything from production-level Office for the Mac 2004 to 0.x releases of VLC, Seashore, and Ecto—even betas of Firefox and Parallels. Whatever my nerdy little heart desires. I've had those early apps crash, but Tiger never faltered.

A month of using Leopard with the same software I had under Tiger and the OS has dumped six times. That's six cold reboots for Oliver. Apple isn't even honest enough to admit that Leopard is crashing: The OS just grays out my desktop and pops up a dialog box telling me I've got to reboot. Like the whole thing is my fault. I even snapped a picture of it. After all, I HAD PLENTY OF CHANCES! And all my complaints, mirrored by online forum traffic, are the same complaints I heard about Vista when it first reared its unbaked head.

Leopard is the new Vista. All the way. And here are five examples.

More PWNage at link...

LOL. Go Leopard! You can singlehandedly remove all gains on Windows that you have made! w000t!

LOL. Go Leopard! You can singlehandedly remove all gains on Windows that you have made! w000t!

Yeah 1.5% to 1.75%.

They sure as hell make a lot more profits off of it that Microsoft, and can use as their status as the underdog as a plea for sympathy. In the end, Apple is just as bad as Microsoft. Another shitty closed platform that tries to force its customers into its little box. Linux is the way of the future.

Yeah 1.5% to 1.75%.

They sure as hell make a lot more profits off of it that Microsoft, and can use as their status as the underdog as a plea for sympathy. In the end, Apple is just as bad as Microsoft. Another shitty closed platform that tries to force its customers into its little box. Linux is the way of the future.
Apple is worse, they close their boxes too and if you want to build stuff for them you have to beg them to build your driver for you.

Apple is worse, they close their boxes too and if you want to build stuff for them you have to beg them to build your driver for you.

Yep I don't see how apple has done as well as they have.

Many years ago I used to design and build custom interface boards for IIE's.
Wrote the machine language software drivers too.

Yep I don't see how apple has done as well as they have.

Many years ago I used to design and build custom interface boards for IIE's.
Wrote the machine language software drivers too.

Apple is all about form over function, US. It's flashy looking but it doesn't do much. The OS itself is only as good as it is because it's based off of FreeBSD. The Mac OS's before Tiger... well... I never knew much about them, but they didn't seem to do anything new.

Linux is getting better and better though. I remember installing Ubuntu 6 on my hard drive a year ago and wiping it within a week. I was surprised at how much progress they had made by 7.5 (although I screwed up the installation by installing multiple desktops). By 8, I'm hoping they'll be ready for widespread consumer deployment. None of the other distributions seem to be going as well, though.

Last edited:
Back