"Let the Markets Decide!": A legacy of failure, of GOP economic theories

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
In addtion to food saftey, and mortgage meltdowns, I would add to this, with regard to the sloganish, silly mantra of "let the markets decide!": it also applies to Gulf Coast reconstruction and Iraq.

NeoCons wanted to use the Katrina disaster to implement their pet theories on how an unfettered free market left on its own, could address the human and infrastructure disaster in the wake of katrina. And in Iraq, the NeoCons sent over their 24-year old wunderkids, to remake the iraq economy in the image of an Ayn Rand novel. With disasterous consequences of course.

US economic problems a "dangerous cocktail"

Turning a blind eye to traditional common sense oversight is coming back to haunt the US economy. Republicans provided half-baked theory and lots of hype for years about how the market could manage itself and somehow, as if a magic wand was waved in the air, it would all work out. So besides facing a new food health crisis almost every week thanks to similar "let the market decide" theory, the US economy is sitting on soft ground thanks to bogus GOP programs that stripped away oversight and threw big money around without consideration for the ability to pay back the loans.

Looking at the "dangerous cocktail" of misguided economic policy, the GOP has strapped the American middle class taxpayers with funding a costly war, not to mention the cost of the propping up the sub-prime lending fiasco that will no doubt find its way to the taxpayers and away from those on Wall Street that had to have it. Just wait until the bill arrives for correcting the food safety programs that were left to wither by the GOP Congress. The next time the GOP starts talking about cutting costs like this, think about how much more it will cost everyone in the future after their cost cutting fails. The GOP and their corporate friends all profit but the public always gets stuck with the bill and it's not pretty.

americablog.com

How's that NeoCon, Libertarian-style gulf coast reconstruction working out for your city, Topper?

It isn't libertarian to give money to companies through the government. This is no libertarian government.

This isn't an issue of contracting work out.

This is an issue of lack of government oversight, planning, and regulation, of how taxpayer money is being used and spent.

Public works projects in the 1930s, practically built and redeveloped an infrastructure for an entire nation, within a few short years. New Orleans is still a disaster two years after katrina.

In addtion to food saftey, and mortgage meltdowns, I would add to this, with regard to the sloganish, silly mantra of "let the markets decide!": it also applies to Gulf Coast reconstruction and Iraq.

NeoCons wanted to use the Katrina disaster to implement their pet theories on how an unfettered free market left on its own, could address the human and infrastructure disaster in the wake of katrina. And in Iraq, the NeoCons sent over their 24-year old wunderkids, to remake the iraq economy in the image of an Ayn Rand novel. With disasterous consequences of course.

You assumse that because the GOP talking points are "let the market decide" that they actually believe that and follow through on it. They don't.

Mortgage meltdown is the markets fault. lol, yeah, it's not the easy credit pushed by government. It's the market that likes to give bad loans.

When did we get rid of the food safety programs and let the market decide???

Cutting their funding, even if that is true, does not make it a market situation.

This isn't an issue of contracting work out.

This is an issue of lack of government oversight, planning, and regulation, of how taxpayer money is being used and spent.

Public works projects in the 1930s, practically built and redeveloped an infrastructure for an entire nation, within a few short years. New Orleans is still a disaster two years after katrina.
I'm not talking about contracting I am talking about subsidy. Many of the companies working on the recovery receive more than just the contracted amounts in subsidies. This is no Libertarian government, it is just your attempt to spin it that way. We both know that there is no example of Libertarian government, the attempt to make this into that is just your way to attempt to make libertarian a negative word, like what was done to the word "liberal".

Mortgage meltdown is the markets fault. lol, yeah, it's not the easy credit pushed by government. It's the market that likes to give bad loans.

Cutting their funding, even if that is true, does not make it a market situation.

Greenspan cheered on the sub-prime mortgage meltdown. It was a shell game, that was being played. Survivial of the fittest, and law of the jungle economics may have been appropriate in the year 1294. But in the year 2007, regulation and oversight (where appropriate) is needed for markets.

It is an example of government subsidy and "equal opportunity" laws gone awry.

This is a little off topic on but on Yesterdays repeat episode of the Daily Show John Stewart had a very interesting tid bit about Welfare recipients rights being violated. If they recieved welfare they would be subject to random searches and seizures by the government. One judge very keenly made the argument that farms and companies that receive gov't bailouts and subsidies aren't subjected to the same type of searches on their property, so why should welfare recipients be?

Way to wish bad on the Coast Cy, my heart won't blead if you have a wildfire or mudslide you tool.
How's it going, we have a 3 billion dollar surpluss jackass. Bet you didn't look that up before you shot you uninformed mouth of you tool for moveon.dumbass

Way to wish bad on the Coast Cy, my heart won't blead if you have a wildfire or mudslide you tool.
How's it going, we have a 3 billion dollar surpluss jackass. Bet you didn't look that up before you shot you uninformed mouth of you tool for moveon.dumbass

Reading comprehension not really your thing? I didn't wish bad on anyone. I clearly made the point that the Bush admin's implementation of reconstruction of NO, is a disaster. It's not people like me that are your enemy dude: it's the Bushies that are screwing you up the ass.

your a party hack tool cy
"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How's that NeoCon, Libertarian-style gulf coast reconstruction working out for your city, Topper?"

that sounds a little ill willed to me, we have a dem gov and mayor, they have more to do with it than GW.
But it's going fine jackass.:pke:

I'm not talking about contracting I am talking about subsidy. Many of the companies working on the recovery receive more than just the contracted amounts in subsidies. This is no Libertarian government, it is just your attempt to spin it that way. We both know that there is no example of Libertarian government, the attempt to make this into that is just your way to attempt to make libertarian a negative word, like what was done to the word "liberal".

Damo, what I found more interesting was the labeling of free maket/libertarian/classic liberal economic positions as "neo-con" positions. The right was quasi successful in attaching a negative stigma to liberal and now many on the left use the term progressive. The left has had some success in labeling those on the right "neo-cons". Neo-con seems to have several meanings but always seem to refer to foreign policy. It will be interesting to see if term can stick to economics. My guess will be probably not so much.

Back