Little known facts about WW2

cancel2 2022

Canceled
When they built the Pentagon in the '40s, there were twice as many toilets as were needed because of racial segregation.

When the American forces came to Britain they told the Brits that they wanted separate pubs for black and white troops, but this was denied. There were many cases where whites, especially from the South, started fights which caused the locals to side with the black GIs.

There were 25 black soldiers, even though they were only 10% of the total forces, that were hanged for rape in Britain but only 4 whites.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/5043912691/

Last edited:
When they built the Pentagon in the '40s, there were twice as many toilets as were needed because of racial segregation.

i bet those that work in the pentagon these days, of all races, are happy to have the extra bathrooms. See, racism can lead to good things in the end. Food for thought.

i bet those that work in the pentagon these days, of all races, are happy to have the extra bathrooms. See, racism can lead to good things in the end. Food for thought.

Yes and all those black guys that were hanged helped to keep the hemp rope industry going!! :palm:

And there is more!!

Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 U.S. and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska, in the Aleutian Islands. Twenty-one troops were killed in the firefight. It would have been worse if there had been any Japanese soldiers on the island.

It was a common practice on fighter planes to load every 5th round with a tracer round to aid in aiming. This was a mistake. Tracers had different ballistics so at long range if your tracers were hitting the target 80 percent of your rounds were missing. Worse yet, tracers instantly told your enemy he was under fire and from which direction. Worst of all was the practice of loading a string of tracers at the end of the belt to tell you that you were out of ammo. This was definitely not something you wanted to tell the enemy. Units that stopped using tracers saw their success rate nearly double and their loss rate go down.

Among the first "Germans" captured at Normandy were several Koreans. They had been forced to fight for the Japanese Army until they were captured by the Russians and then forced to fight for the Russian Army until they were captured by the Germans and further forced to fight for the German Army until they were captured by the U.S. Army.

The first German serviceman killed in the runup to World War II was killed by the Japanese (China, 1937), the first American serviceman was killed by the Russians (Finland 1940).

The highest-ranking American killed was Lt. Gen. Lesley McNair, killed by the U.S. Army Air Corps - so much for allies. However if you include Pearl Harbor, Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd was the highest ranking American killed. He was on board the U.S.S. Arizona when the Japanese launched their surprise attack on December 7, 1941.

At the time of Pearl Harbor, the top U.S. Navy command was called CINCUS (pronounced "sink us"), the shoulder patch of the U.S. Army's 45th Infantry Division was the Swastika, and Hitler's private train was named "Amerika." All three names were soon changed for PR purposes.

The German submarine U-120 was sunk by a malfunctioning toilet.

Last edited:

When the American forces came to Britain they told the Brits that they wanted separate pubs for black and white troops, but this was denied. There were many cases where whites, especially from the South, started fights which caused the locals to side with the black GIs.

There were 25 black soldiers, even though they were only 10% of the total forces, that were hanged for rape in Britain but only 4 whites.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brizzlebornandbred/5043912691/

How many troops were ever in Britain at once? Even if it were evenly distributed, that'd be a shitload of people to hang for a single crime over a period of maybe 3-4 years out of a population of a few hundred thousand. You guys must've loooooovvvveeedd hangings.

Last edited:
How many troops were ever in Britain at once? Even if it were evenly distributed, that'd be a shitload of people to hang for a single crime over a period of maybe 3-4 years out of a population of a few hundred thousand. You guys must've loooooovvvveeedd hangings.

Rape was never a capital crime in Britain, well at least in the 20th century anyway. It was the US military that insisted that rapists should be executed. So you had the ludicrous situation where US courts martial would impose the penalty on a disproportionate number of black servicemen and they would be carried by a British hangman. I have no doubt that some were guilty but there were a number of cases where the US military trumped up charges to instil fear and to keep blacks in their place. Remember that there were many members of the US military in Britain that found it disgusting that black servicemen consorted with white British women, especially those from the southern states.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/sheptonm.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/07/u...d-a-war-s-footnote.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Last edited:
I stand corrected, I don't what is about naval ranks and terminology? There seems to be far too much emphasis on rears, vice, poop and heads!!

I decided I would learn the other four rank structures besides just Air Force. The Navy is definitely a complex one, and I still don't understand why they couldn't create a better name for O-2 than Lieutenant Junior Grade, or why the first two admiralty ranks are the same name.

vJ2sO.jpg

Rape was never a capital crime in Britain, well at least in the 20th century anyway. It was the US military that insisted that rapists should be executed. So you had the ludicrous situation where US courts martial would impose the penalty on a disproportionate number of black servicemen and they would be carried by a British hangman. I have no doubt that some were guilty but there were a number of cases where the US military trumped up charges to instil fear and to keep blacks in their place. Remember that there were many members of the US military in Britain that found it disgusting that black servicemen consorted with white British women, especially those from the southern states.

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/sheptonm.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/07/u...d-a-war-s-footnote.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Oh well, you're not going to get any arguments from me in blaming America.

Back