Looking to buy a new car...

Cancel11

God Bless America
I am thinking about a Volvo S40 - most likely a 2003 or 2004.

Has anyone here owned a Volvo, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Are they reliable? How's the cost of maintenance?

I want something very fuel-efficient.

If not the S40 (which gets just over 30mpg highway), it will be a VW Golf TDI or a newer Ford Focus.

Volvo is a much better car than either the VW or Ford, in my opinion. I would put Volvo in the same class as Lexus or BMW, just below Mercedes. Volvo has always been one of the safest cars on the road. My first car wreck was when I backed my 69 chevy c10 into a Volvo's driver side door. It left a small 'ding' in the door, and bent my plated steel bumper into the fender and broke my tail light. They are like tanks on wheels.

I owned a Volvo for many years, and loved it... except... it had this one quirky little thing... Every time I went on vacation to Florida in it, the engine would simply stop running for no apparent reason. It happened once on the way down, just inside the Florida state line, it happened once on the way home, just outside the state line, and it happened once, while we were on the strip in Panama City, bumper to bumper on Saturday night. Each time, the problem was caused by a 'relay' gone bad. Finally, a mechanic told me, Volvo's are notorious for this, it's the 'salt air' of the coast. It causes corrosion in the relay contacts, and they go out. It was never much trouble to fix, the relays were always in stock, which was odd for small towns in the South and Swedish parts, but then it made sense after he told me this... they expected it, so they stocked plenty. lol

Other than that, it was an excellent car. We put over 300k miles on it, and it was still very reliable, didn't smoke or use oil, and got decent gas mileage...drove like a dream!!

Volvos are excellent cars for the most part. (lemons come in all brands)

I would recommend the Volvo over the VW or Ford. If you are gonna buy a VW, get one of the old air cooled beetles.

Too expensive to fix. Get something that has staying power, a Toyota.

Yep. I've decided to buy a Scion XA - possibly tomorrow. The automatic is rated for 38mpg highway; I'm getting a manual, so I expect it will get around 40mpg. Tomorrow I'm going to check out a 2006 with 30k miles down in Seattle. It's selling for 11.5k, but I think I can easily bring down that price.

That said, I might buy a Volvo S40 in a few months anyway (once I get my raise), and use the Scion as my commuter vehicle. We'll see.

Back