Lugar pulled on Bush

uscitizen

Villified User
GOP Senator Says Iraq Plan Not Working
Email this Story

Jun 25, 11:13 PM (ET)

By ANNE FLAHERTY

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. Richard Lugar, a senior Republican and a reliable vote for President Bush on the war, said Monday that Bush's Iraq strategy was not working and that the U.S. should downsize the military's role.

The unusually blunt assessment deals a political blow to Bush, who has relied heavily on GOP support to stave off anti-war legislation.

It also comes as a surprise. Most Republicans have said they were willing to wait until September to see if Bush's recently ordered troop buildup in Iraq was working.

"In my judgment, the costs and risks of continuing down the current path outweigh the potential benefits that might be achieved," Lugar, R-Ind., said in a Senate floor speech. "Persisting indefinitely with the surge strategy will delay policy adjustments that have a better chance of protecting our vital interests over the long term."

Only a few Republicans have broken ranks and called for a change in course or embraced Democratic proposals ordering troops home by a certain date. As the top Republican and former chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Lugar's critique could provide political cover for more Republicans wanting to challenge Bush on the war.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070626/D8Q089AO0.html

GOP Senator Says Iraq Plan Not Working
Email this Story

Jun 25, 11:13 PM (ET)

By ANNE FLAHERTY

WASHINGTON (AP) - Sen. Richard Lugar, a senior Republican and a reliable vote for President Bush on the war, said Monday that Bush's Iraq strategy was not working and that the U.S. should downsize the military's role.

The unusually blunt assessment deals a political blow to Bush, who has relied heavily on GOP support to stave off anti-war legislation.

It also comes as a surprise. Most Republicans have said they were willing to wait until September to see if Bush's recently ordered troop buildup in Iraq was working.

"In my judgment, the costs and risks of continuing down the current path outweigh the potential benefits that might be achieved," Lugar, R-Ind., said in a Senate floor speech. "Persisting indefinitely with the surge strategy will delay policy adjustments that have a better chance of protecting our vital interests over the long term."

Only a few Republicans have broken ranks and called for a change in course or embraced Democratic proposals ordering troops home by a certain date. As the top Republican and former chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Lugar's critique could provide political cover for more Republicans wanting to challenge Bush on the war.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070626/D8Q089AO0.html

Yes, but, how are they going to "challenge bush on the war"? You lived through Vietnam, you know what's coming. They're going to "start bringing home the troops in 08" just in time for the elections. But they will only draw down 50k at the most. If an R wins in Nov, they escalate.

Yes, but, how are they going to "challenge bush on the war"? You lived through Vietnam, you know what's coming. They're going to "start bringing home the troops in 08" just in time for the elections. But they will only draw down 50k at the most. If an R wins in Nov, they escalate.

Yes I pretty much see the same plan for the Repubs.
Sad to say...

Sen. Richard Lugar, a senior Republican and a reliable vote for President Bush on the war, said Monday that Bush's Iraq strategy was not working and that the U.S. should downsize the military's role.

F*ck you Lugar.

You just had a chance to vote on a new strategy and a timetable to reduce our forces. And you voted with the Chimp.

Sen. Richard Lugar, a senior Republican and a reliable vote for President Bush on the war, said Monday that Bush's Iraq strategy was not working and that the U.S. should downsize the military's role.

F*ck you Lugar.

You just had a chance to vote on a new strategy and a timetable to reduce our forces. And you voted with the Chimp.

bingo

F*ck you Lugar.

Yep, I smell another "renegade maverick" like Arlen Spector. A lot of tough talk, but when it comes time to vote it's "yes sir, that's exactly how I will vote sir".

Yep, I smell another "renegade maverick" like Arlen Spector. A lot of tough talk, but when it comes time to vote it's "yes sir, that's exactly how I will vote sir".

That's why I'm taking with a grain of salt, all the chatter about republicans abandoning bush in September.

This is called:

Operation: "Cover Your Ass!"

Make fancy speeches about the need to start withdrawing from Iraq.

But keep voting 100% with Bush on the war.

i.e., Fool your constituents into making them thing you're doing their will.

This is called:

Operation: "Cover Your Ass!"

Make fancy speeches about the need to start withdrawing from Iraq.

But keep voting 100% with Bush on the war.

i.e., Fool your constituents into making them thing you're doing their will.

Yep. It's amazing how easy so many of them are to fool.

Yep. It's amazing how easy so many of them are to fool.
I also find this rather amazing. are you all so cinical that you can't beleive that a republican can't see the light at the end of the tunnel? I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt (at least until futher evidence presents itself)

Last edited:
I find this rather amasing. are you all so cinical that you can't beleive tha a republican can't see the light at the end of the tunnel? I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt
Don't burst the bubble of "evil", if they don't think all Rs are evil they might actually have to listen to them on occasion.

I find this rather amasing. are you all so cinical that you can't beleive tha a republican can't see the light at the end of the tunnel? I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt

Getting my hopes up every time Specter made a big speech about how he wasn't going to tolerate this anymore, and then when the vote came, he voted with bush, has made me cynical, yes. Or, someone else might say, it's made me a realist.

After 6 years of their stupidity and lies I give no republican candates the benefit of the doubt.
Lets just say that I view republicans as the boy who cried WMD's...not listening anymore.

Sorry someone can try and convince me crap does not stink , but they will fail in the attempt.

"But have they done the kind of damage the Repuiblicns have done? that lack ought to account for "Something""

What damage are you referring to? If you mean Iraq, then yes, they are just as responsible... no matter how many times they cry that Bush fooled them. (not all of them mind you, but many). Their lack of action, their going back on their "pay as you go" promises, their inability to get any kind of coherent plan together to reduce the nations debt, their constant harping on repealing (or allowing to expire) some of the tax cuts.....etc... has led to their approval rating in Congress to be lower than Bush. THAT should tell you all you need to know about how bad they are. (not to say that the Reps are any better)

"But have they done the kind of damage the Repuiblicns have done? that lack ought to account for "Something""

What damage are you referring to? If you mean Iraq, then yes, they are just as responsible... no matter how many times they cry that Bush fooled them. (not all of them mind you, but many). Their lack of action, their going back on their "pay as you go" promises, their inability to get any kind of coherent plan together to reduce the nations debt, their constant harping on repealing (or allowing to expire) some of the tax cuts.....etc... has led to their approval rating in Congress to be lower than Bush. THAT should tell you all you need to know about how bad they are. (not to say that the Reps are any better)
that, for sure, but how about desrtoying the safeguards of the constitution. There are many of them. "WARRANLESS"Wiretappong was just the beginning.

Please explain how the Dems are any better US. What exactly have they done in almost six months in control? NADA.

The Dems suck as well, but remember the dems do not have a large enough majority to override the repubs, some repubs have to defect to pass a demo sponsored bill right now.
The repubs scare me, 41% still think Iraq was responsible for 911.
And I figure most all of those are repubs....
but perhaps call themselves independent now :D

The Dems suck as well, but remember the dems do not have a large enough majority to override the repubs, some repubs have to defect to pass a demo sponsored bill right now.
The repubs scare me, 41% still think Iraq was responsible for 911.
And I figure most all of those are repubs....
but perhaps call themselves independent now :D
I think this is bullshit. If they actually believed that Iraq was responsible for 9/11 at least 41% would believe that Iraq was a great idea and would support the President 100%. He doesn't have the numbers to support this.

Back