Machine Learning

Oneuli

Verified User
Can anyone here recommend a good open source/free machine-learning software package? Currently I do financial analysis for a living, and at some point I'd like to move into more of a stock-picking role. Towards that end, I'd like to start experimenting now with machine learning to build my own algorithms for market timing.

The problem with trying to beat the Street is that the big players already have very sophisticated trading algorithms from machine-learning analyses, and even if I could match their algorithms, I could never match their trading speed, so I'd always be late to move and miss the opportunity, if my algorithms were built on the usual pieces of publicly-available data (stock values, prominent macroeconomic stats, etc.)

However, I have this idea about a bunch of data inputs that the big players probably aren't factoring in, since they're not directly related to the markets that they're trying to predict, but could still factor in very strongly in an indirect way. They're the kinds of things that analysts for the big players would probably be embarrassed to suggest, since they're a bit out of left field, and so they probably haven't been subjected to machine learning to find patterns. That may mean some opportunity for a very small player to capitalize on blind spots of the big players.... to have code that perceives things that are in their blind spots, letting me make moves they can't beat me to. There's precedent for people succeeding along those lines with hand-made algorithms, but in theory machine-learned algorithms should be even stronger.

I understand the basics of machine learning and I'm an auto-didact, so I think I can figure it out, once I have the software package to play around with. So, if someone knows of a good software package for me to use, that would be great. In the beginning, I'll be working with historical data sets, so I don't need something with a lot of connectivity to get started -- I can worry about coding that later, if I manage to come up with something that seems to beat the Street pretty consistently.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Can anyone here recommend a good open source/free machine-learning software package? Currently I do financial analysis for a living, and at some point I'd like to move into more of a stock-picking role. Towards that end, I'd like to start experimenting now with machine learning to build my own algorithms for market timing.

The problem with trying to beat the Street is that the big players already have very sophisticated trading algorithms from machine-learning analyses, and even if I could match their algorithms, I could never match their trading speed, so I'd always be late to move and miss the opportunity, if my algorithms were built on the usual pieces of publicly-available data (stock values, prominent macroeconomic stats, etc.)

However, I have this idea about a bunch of data inputs that the big players probably aren't factoring in, since they're not directly related to the markets that they're trying to predict, but could still factor in very strongly in an indirect way. They're the kinds of things that analysts for the big players would probably be embarrassed to suggest, since they're a bit out of left field, and so they probably haven't been subjected to machine learning to find patterns. That may mean some opportunity for a very small player to capitalize on blind spots of the big players.... to have code that perceives things that are in their blind spots, letting me make moves they can't beat me to. There's precedent for people succeeding along those lines with hand-made algorithms, but in theory machine-learned algorithms should be even stronger.

I understand the basics of machine learning and I'm an auto-didact, so I think I can figure it out, once I have the software package to play around with. So, if someone knows of a good software package for me to use, that would be great. In the beginning, I'll be working with historical data sets, so I don't need something with a lot of connectivity to get started -- I can worry about coding that later, if I manage to come up with something that seems to beat the Street pretty consistently.

do you think that this forum is the best place to ask a tech question?

Don't we have someone who owns a very successful software company here...? I could have sworn....

There are lots of javascript solutions out there. Just search github and there are several hundred working examples to modify for your needs.

http://stirfry.atwebpages.com/flappyneural.html

Here's a link to an openprocessing script I modified to work in the browser with the canvas tag. It has a neural network and a genetic algorithm for the learning.

they're insider trading. you can never outtime them.

you should stick with these large companies as investment, if mammon worship is your goal.

nestle
lockheed martin
inbev
pfizer
quanta computing
pearson education
icbc
monsanto
disney
alphabet inc.

TensorFlow. Or build machine learning applications yourself.

Sweet Jesus, Mother of God!

"Stock picking ... Market timing". THAT'S the first thing I learned NOT to do.

1. What happened to this 'globe-trotting adventure' with your girlfriend? Once you start counting your nickels and dimes, this is going to be deemed 'too expensive' or 'too time consuming'. You only live once and you're only young once.

2. Isn't Mom trying to marry you off? You could be living at home for a very l.o.n.g. time if this thing backfires. Plus, if it backfires, what kind of guy is going to accept that kind of baggage, being 50k in the hole is hard to market.

3. Good Luck.

they're insider trading. you can never outtime them.

you should stick with these large companies as investment, if mammon worship is your goal.

nestle
lockheed martin
inbev
pfizer
quanta computing
pearson education
icbc
monsanto
disney
alphabet inc.

I would take #1 of the list if you are looking to hold onto it for awhile but won't/can't say why.

If you are looking to beat the automated trading software, you are probably off your rocker. Perhaps you would be better served to practice the art of introverted intuition....

switzerland is special

I have concerns about Nestle. Selling off their candy was a big red flag. I have heard their pasta sell-off may be expanding to include some of their flagship brands in that arena. It is public knowledge that they are reducing brand holdings. They moved their US HQ from California. They are under constant attack over water, palm oils, etc. They have persistent labor problems. These are not good growth signs....and I have heard other things that would lead me to believe that their stock is not anywhere I would want to be. It won't go tits up, but I do not see or hear anything that makes me optimistic about their performance.

I have concerns about Nestle. Selling off their candy was a big red flag. I have heard their pasta sell-off may be expanding to include some of their flagship brands in that arena. It is public knowledge that they are reducing brand holdings. They moved their US HQ from California. They are under constant attack over water, palm oils, etc. They have persistent labor problems. These are not good growth signs....and I have heard other things that would lead me to believe that their stock is not anywhere I would want to be. It won't go tits up, but I do not see or hear anything that makes me optimistic about their performance.

maybe trying to monopolize water is a bridge too far. good.

maybe trying to monopolize water is a bridge too far. good.

It remains to be seen how they are going to stay in the business or many others if they are true to their commitment to eliminate single use plastics. I am not sure people who buy bulk water are going to be interested in lugging home 50 pound glass cases :awesome:

It remains to be seen how they are going to stay in the business or many others if they are true to their commitment to eliminate single use plastics. I am not sure people who buy bulk water are going to be interested in lugging home 50 pound glass cases :awesome:

they don't give a shit about plastic. they're trying to deconceptualize water as a basic right.

Back