Mad Men Season 7 and a rant about AMC

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
I just heard recently they split it into two mini seasons of 7 episodes each.

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

I hated when they did it with breaking bad but at least breaking bad has this "build up" quality that kinda works with that format. Mad men is a bit more nuanced and subtle and I think it's harmed to have a MOTHERFUCKING YEAR BREAK for only 7 episodes.

AMC is just an amazing science experiment. They basically were gifted a few of the greatest television shows of all time, and they squandered building a sufficient roster to move forward. Now breaking bad is over, mad men is ending (and they need to stretch that out as long as possible to buy some time) and rather than being forward thinking, we get:

• two mini seasons of mad men which is annoying
  • A breaking bad spinoff coming this fall (which might be good, but still shows their lack of forward thinking vision when they keep recycling their hits. It just shows they only have one card to play these days)
  • They are doing another walking dead spinoff. I hear they might base it in seattle this time. No shit. Zombies... in SEATTLE! You just know they'll have the moneyshot of the space needle with vines hanging off of it or something.

Shows that totally failed:

"The pitch" - some crappy reality tv show centered around advertising. Because hey.. mad men is about advertising, maybe people that watch mad men will want to see a shitty reality show! amazing logic amc.

"Small Town sheriff" - another crappy reality show about... you guessed it, a small town sheriff. How do they expect people that watch breaking bad to watch that piece of shit?

Rubicon. What, never heard of it? Exactly. Dead on arrival.

Low winter Sun? Canceled because it sucked.

I also hear that they would constantly try to cheap out on matthew weiner and make ridiculous demands to the point where he was going to just straight up walk after season 5. AMC is completely ungrateful for the few shows that keep them alive.

I think in a few years unless AMC can get their act together they will have completely missed the boat and fall into irrelevance.

HBO on the other hand has produced:

oz
the sopranos
band of brothers
six feet under
THE WIRE
deadwood
curb your enthusiasm
rome
boardwalk empire
game of thrones

their catalogue is just absolutely sick.

I just heard recently they split it into two mini seasons of 7 episodes each.

THIS IS BULLSHIT.

I hated when they did it with breaking bad but at least breaking bad has this "build up" quality that kinda works with that format. Mad men is a bit more nuanced and subtle and I think it's harmed to have a MOTHERFUCKING YEAR BREAK for only 7 episodes.

AMC is just an amazing science experiment. They basically were gifted a few of the greatest television shows of all time, and they squandered building a sufficient roster to move forward. Now breaking bad is over, mad men is ending (and they need to stretch that out as long as possible to buy some time) and rather than being forward thinking, we get:

• two mini seasons of mad men which is annoying
  • A breaking bad spinoff coming this fall (which might be good, but still shows their lack of forward thinking vision when they keep recycling their hits. It just shows they only have one card to play these days)
  • They are doing another walking dead spinoff. I hear they might base it in seattle this time. No shit. Zombies... in SEATTLE! You just know they'll have the moneyshot of the space needle with vines hanging off of it or something.

Shows that totally failed:

"The pitch" - some crappy reality tv show centered around advertising. Because hey.. mad men is about advertising, maybe people that watch mad men will want to see a shitty reality show! amazing logic amc.

"Small Town sheriff" - another crappy reality show about... you guessed it, a small town sheriff. How do they expect people that watch breaking bad to watch that piece of shit?

Rubicon. What, never heard of it? Exactly. Dead on arrival.

Low winter Sun? Canceled because it sucked.

I also hear that they would constantly try to cheap out on matthew weiner and make ridiculous demands to the point where he was going to just straight up walk after season 5. AMC is completely ungrateful for the few shows that keep them alive.

I think in a few years unless AMC can get their act together they will have completely missed the boat and fall into irrelevance.
That or they'll continue to fill a nitch with shows that are to edgy for network (and most cable) TV.

AMC's problem with maintaining content is that the series they show are some of the most expensive to produce. I think each episode of BB was like 3 to 5 million to produce. Similiar with Mad Men.

AMC is a relatively small cable outless that has prioritized quality over quantity and it seems to work for them. So be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

chicken and the egg. you are not going to make money without good shows. you aren't going to have good shows without money. gotta break the cycle at some point and just dig in.

That or they'll continue to fill a nitch with shows that are to edgy for network (and most cable) TV.

AMC's problem with maintaining content is that the series they show are some of the most expensive to produce. I think each episode of BB was like 3 to 5 million to produce. Similiar with Mad Men.

AMC is a relatively small cable outless that has prioritized quality over quantity and it seems to work for them. So be careful what you wish for. You may get it.

I don't mind quality over quantity. my whole point is that they have squandered an opportunity over 7 years (that's how long they've had) to build a quality roster knowing breaking bad and mad men don't last forever. They wasted the opportunity.

So breaking bad costs a lot of money ok... well they've now freed up that portion of the budget. there is no excuse.

Back