Mexico and guns

Big Money

Don’t bring firearms or ammunition across the border into Mexico.

Don’t carry a knife, even a small pocketknife, on your person in Mexico.

You may become one of dozens of U.S. Citizens who are arrested each month for unintentionally violating Mexico’s strict weapons laws.

If you are caught with firearms or ammunition in Mexico...

You will go to jail and your vehicle will be seized;
You will be separated from your family, friends, and your job, and likely suffer substantial financial hardship;
You will pay court costs and other fees ranging into the tens of thousands of dollars defending yourself;
You may get up to a 30-year sentence in a Mexican prison if found guilty.

If you carry a knife on your person in Mexico, even a pocketknife . . .

You may be arrested and charged with possession of a deadly weapon;
You may spend weeks in jail waiting for trial, and tens of thousands of dollars in attorney’s fees, court costs, and fines;
If convicted, you may be sentenced to up to five years in a Mexican prison.

Claiming not to know about the law will not get you leniency from a police officer or the judicial system. Leave your firearms, ammunition, and knives at home. Don’t bring them into Mexico.

http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html

Weapons may be kept in the home for security and legitimate defense of its dwellers. Their possession imposes the duty to manifest them to the Secretariat of National Defense for their registration. For every weapon, record of its registration will be issued.

Every weapon must be registered with the federal government. If more than two weapons are registered for security and legitimate defense of the dwellers of a single home, those interested must justify the need.

Openly carrying a firearm or carrying a concealed weapon in public is virtually forbidden to private citizens, unless explicitly authorized by the Secretariat of National Defense.

Only citizens who have been granted a license to carry can lawfully carry a firearm outside their homes.

Anyone intending to transport a firearm outside their home must first obtain the appropriate permit from SEDENA.

Even those who move to a new home address must not only notify SEDENA of the change of address but must also obtain a permit to transport the weapon from the current residence to the new one. Without the appropriate transportation permit, it is illegal to transport a firearm outside the home on your person or vehicle, even if lawfully registered, unloaded and in a locked container.

Additionally, Title III, Chapter III, Article 59 of the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosives states:

It is possible for Mexican citizens who reside in Mexico and foreign legal residents of Mexico (FM2 holders) to import a firearm into Mexico for their security and legitimate defense, under the types and calibers permitted for home defense and after receiving the appropriate import permit from the Secretariat of National Defense.

A US citizen who lawfully resides in Mexico as a FM2 holder could purchase a firearm in the United States and request permission to import the weapon to Mexico.

Do not attempt to take any firearm into Mexico even if the weapon is lawfully registered in your name in the United States (or any other country of residence) and even when the weapon falls under the types and calibers permitted for civilian ownership in Mexico.

Unless the bearer has explicit authorization from the Secretariat of National Defense, it is illegal and punishable by law to enter Mexican territory with any firearm as well as to keep and carry any firearm on your person or vehicle at any time, anywhere.

These permits cannot be obtained at Mexican customs and immigration when entering Mexico.

They must be obtained in advance and in possession of the bearer before any gun enters Mexico.

Once entering Mexico with a gun without previous authorization from the Mexican government, a crime has been committed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Mexico

seems like you take a great interest in my life. Jealous, perhaps? You'll notice that I take ZERO interest in your life... there's a reason for that.

Like I said... my weapon is now registered in my state. Having cops as neighbors, and being GOOD neighbors to them, has tons of benefits both in Mexico and in the United States.

Where were you mentioned? Egotistical much?

Since you're here, how did you explain being in possession of the guns you brought into Mexico with the required permits?

Did you show a Mexican official "respect" or have him over for cocktails?

lol... and you really want anyone to believe that this thread just got magically posted by you even as we were discussing this topic on another thread! GMAFB

and, to answer your question: cocktails....

and then, the next weekend, he had me over for a cookout at his place. Buen Vecino!

Of course they are.

Did you charge them 250 pesos?

I was not the person charging anyone for the house tour... that was all done by the charity sponsoring the event. I don't think my neighbor went on the tour, however... he gets to see lots of pretty houses for free.

Of course he is. I'm sure he isn't at all like the stereotypical Mexican official, since there so little crime there.

stereotypes created north of the border are seldom accurate here where I live... just like you thinking that all of Mexico is awash in crime and kidnapping...

they are just bred from ignorance, that's all.

your continual references to gangs of kidnappers is one example.

your inability to comprehend that different areas of the country have different living conditions...

you're just a stupid gadfly who doesn't know what he's talking about.

well... if it didn't get reported, how would anyone know that anyone was kidnapped. It is pretty spectacular that 13 years have passed since such a report. How many US states can show that sort of record?

wow... you two really are obsessed with my life here in Mexico, aren't you?

do you have girlfriends? boyfriends? you need a better hobby!

Back