Military running short on Purple Hearts

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Greedy Fuckers, who are like John Kerry are probably hogging all the Purple Hearts in Bush's War....

Short of Purple Hearts, Navy tells vet to buy own

By ANNE MARIE KILDAY
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

PEARLAND — Korean War veteran Nyles Reed, 75, opened an envelope last week to learn a Purple Heart had been approved for injuries he sustained as a Marine on June 22, 1952.

But there was no medal. Just a certificate and a form stating that the medal was "out of stock."

"I can imagine, of course, with what's going on in Iraq and Afghanistan, there's a big shortage," Reed said. "At least, I would imagine so."

The form letter from the Navy Personnel Command told Reed he could wait 90 days and resubmit an application, or buy his own medal.

After waiting 55 years, however, Reed decided to pay $42 for his own Purple Heart and accompanying ribbon — plus state sales taxes — at a military surplus store.......

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5061221.html

The purple heart is a bit of a mixed award to me. On the one hand you have guys who no doubt deserve it and sacrificed greatly for their nation. On the other hand you have the guy who fell into razor wire and only got a few nicks and cuts and gets the same award.

I agree.........

The purple heart is a bit of a mixed award to me. On the one hand you have guys who no doubt deserve it and sacrificed greatly for their nation. On the other hand you have the guy who fell into razor wire and only got a few nicks and cuts and gets the same award.

A new policy should be written on the awarding of the 'Purple Heart' it should have some real meaning and sacrafice...It should only be awarded to those who suffered a 'actual' wound in combat and was on the inactive roll for at least 30 days...akin to a significant wound...not paper cuts and stupid accidents...but actual enemy fire...imho

To me it is more like the National Defense Medal. One of those that seemed far more huge when you first hear of it, but then you realize that it is given away like an Air Force Ribbon....

True.........

To me it is more like the National Defense Medal. One of those that seemed far more huge when you first hear of it, but then you realize that it is given away like an Air Force Ribbon....

The NDM was originally designed for the Cold war...and some Black ops that could not be awarded per se as it would be given away...alot of medals were awarded just for serving during a period regardless of what the person actually did or where they served!

The NDM was originally designed for the Cold war...and some Black ops that could not be awarded per se as it would be given away...alot of medals were awarded just for serving during a period regardless of what the person actually did or where they served!

I was awarded the WWII victory medal because I had enlisted before a certain date which was months after hostilities had ceased.

I was awarded the WWII victory medal because I had enlisted before a certain date which was months after hostilities had ceased.
I have a friend that was in Germany after they were occupied, as a child, whose father reported continued limited action for up to a few years after the occupation.

I have a friend that was in Germany after they were occupied, as a child, whose father reported continued limited action for up to a few years after the occupation.
Should I have said "FORMAL" hostilities had ceased? I enlisted in March of 46 War was officially over in September of 45 (I beleive)

Lets not forget the now defunct GWOT medal that I get to wear. For those that dont know, we no longer award that medal. Go me. I get out with a minimum of 4 medals (good conduct is not assumed, especially for me).

Back