Mom saw warning signs in son who planned school shooting

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
Now isn't this just gosh-darn heartwarming.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/11/boudreau.campus.rage/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular

GREENCREEK, Idaho (CNN) -- It was just 2½ years ago when Elaine Sonnen found out that her 16-year-old son, Richard, had been planning a Columbine-style attack at his high school.
Elaine Sonnen

Sonnen wants parents and authorities to listen and look for warning signs and to act fast and decisively.
Click to view previous image
3 of 3
Click to view next image

It would be a fitting payback to his high school classmates who Richard said relentlessly bullied him.

"I always wanted to get back at them," Richard Sonnen said of his classmates. "I always wanted to strangle them. ... I was always mad. I was always angry and I would come home and cry to mom and dad."

Both Richard and Elaine Sonnen spoke to CNN at the 45-acre family farm.

Unlike Columbine and recent school shootings at Northern Illinois University and Virginia Tech, Elaine Sonnen did see the warning signs in her son and was able to stop him.

Elaine and her husband, Tom, adopted Richard from a Bulgarian orphanage when he was just 4½ years old.

"I mean, we just loved him, and he was just a big sparkle of life," she said.

But only a few months after they brought him home, they began to see another side of their son. He was angry and unpredictable.

Elaine Sonnen says that at age 6, Richard told her he wanted to kill her. She said he would shake with anger to the point that he'd scream at her, telling her he wanted to destroy her.

"People thought he was just the greatest kid in the world. Very polite, well-mannered, caring," Elaine Sonnen remembered. "At home, he could be anywhere from just a really helpful kid to a monster. A terrifying monster." Mother says son had 'two' personalities »

In junior high, he said, "evil" classmates started picking on him. Boys and girls, he said, bullied him until he couldn't take it anymore.

"I always wanted to get revenge," he said.

By the eighth grade, Richard was put on anti-psychotic medications. He had been diagnosed as bipolar and was suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder and other disorders.

In 1999, when the Columbine shootings happened, the Sonnens feared that Richard might do the same thing one day.

"We stopped and looked at each other and said, 'This could be Richard; some day this could be him,' " Elaine Sonnen said.

Years later, during his junior year in high school, they were right.

The part where it says he's over 18 and mom can't force him to get help, speaks volumes. Another case of 'unintended consequences' from progressives. In the 70's it became very popular to close mental health asylums, because they had performed horrendous acts upon the 'clients', including castration. So, it led to the mental patients being enpowered to call the shots, until they actually were caught attempting to harm themselves or others. Sounds fine, until 'attempts' culminate in successful actions.

Today it's nearly impossible to get someone committed long enough to establish a pattern of care. Most of the time it's less than 75 hours.

The part where it says he's over 18 and mom can't force him to get help, speaks volumes. Another case of 'unintended consequences' from progressives. In the 70's it became very popular to close mental health asylums, because they had performed horrendous acts upon the 'clients', including castration. So, it led to the mental patients being enpowered to call the shots, until they actually were caught attempting to harm themselves or others. Sounds fine, until 'attempts' culminate in successful actions.

Today it's nearly impossible to get someone committed long enough to establish a pattern of care. Most of the time it's less than 75 hours.

Kathy, most of the de-institutionalization happened in the 80's due to massive funding cuts by Reagan.

Back