Monopoly Getting Rid of Jail

cawacko

As it says nothing is sacred anymore.

Monopoly Is Getting Rid of Jail to Appease Your Busy Kids

Really, nothing is sacred anymore — not even Monopoly. Because kids' days are filled with obligations and organized activities, young children these days are apparently busier than any of their predecessors history, toy manufacturers like Hasbro are tailoring board games to make them faster to play.

"Hasbro's new Monopoly Empire, in which players compete to amass the most big-name brands, such as Coca-Cola Xbox and McDonald's, can be completed in as little as 30 minutes, compared with the hours that traditional Monopoly could take," reports The Wall Street Journal's Ann Zimmerman. Part of that is due to Hasbro removing the jail, which speeds up the pace and also removes a crucial safe zone in the latter stages of the game.

Monopoly isn't the only game adopting to changes changes in kids' time commitments. Scrabble, Zimmerman notes, has a fast and furious version of the game that can be completed in two minutes and 30 seconds. And there are speedy versions of Boggle and Rubik's Cubes on the market, too. These are all designed to fit into the pockets of time that are allotted to kids these days in between gymnastics classes, test prep courses, and whatever they're signed up for.

But at the heart of it, these "fast" games undermine the whole notion of board games, which are supposed to encourage bonding and silly fights over the "bank" stealing money or whether "knifes" counts as a word. Winning as quickly as possible was never the issue. At least not until recently.

http://news.yahoo.com/monopoly-getting-rid-jail-appease-busy-kids-165313014.html

As it says nothing is sacred anymore.

Monopoly Is Getting Rid of Jail to Appease Your Busy Kids

Really, nothing is sacred anymore — not even Monopoly. Because kids' days are filled with obligations and organized activities, young children these days are apparently busier than any of their predecessors history, toy manufacturers like Hasbro are tailoring board games to make them faster to play.

"Hasbro's new Monopoly Empire, in which players compete to amass the most big-name brands, such as Coca-Cola Xbox and McDonald's, can be completed in as little as 30 minutes, compared with the hours that traditional Monopoly could take," reports The Wall Street Journal's Ann Zimmerman. Part of that is due to Hasbro removing the jail, which speeds up the pace and also removes a crucial safe zone in the latter stages of the game.

Monopoly isn't the only game adopting to changes changes in kids' time commitments. Scrabble, Zimmerman notes, has a fast and furious version of the game that can be completed in two minutes and 30 seconds. And there are speedy versions of Boggle and Rubik's Cubes on the market, too. These are all designed to fit into the pockets of time that are allotted to kids these days in between gymnastics classes, test prep courses, and whatever they're signed up for.

But at the heart of it, these "fast" games undermine the whole notion of board games, which are supposed to encourage bonding and silly fights over the "bank" stealing money or whether "knifes" counts as a word. Winning as quickly as possible was never the issue. At least not until recently.

http://news.yahoo.com/monopoly-getting-rid-jail-appease-busy-kids-165313014.html

Zimmerman

ZIMMERMAN

ZIMMERMAN

I ain't readin nothin written by a racist ass cracka.

I remember on another forum I frequent, someone asked what game they should bring to a family party. I gave them three options.

If your family loves one another and gets along, Apples to Apples.
If they are apathetic towards one another, Risk.
If you all hate each other/are Irish, Monopoly and some jim beam.

Did anyone really ever finish a game? We'd play until someone got way ahead and then we'd stop.... but a couple hours together with family was the point. Although that was when we still got along...

What are you Mormon? Monopoly ends when someone tips the board over and the fist fights begin.

I remember on another forum I frequent, someone asked what game they should bring to a family party. I gave them three options.

If your family loves one another and gets along, Apples to Apples.
If they are apathetic towards one another, Risk.
If you all hate each other/are Irish, Monopoly and some jim beam.

As big a fan I am of Clüe and Monopoly, I fucking love Apples to Apples. :clink:

I have to say I'm strongly opposed to this.

Near the end of the game, when properties are developed and rents are sky high, jail is the absolute best place to be.

I wouldn't recommend children, or anyone else, being on my lawn for an extended (read ANY) period of time.

I wouldn't recommend children, or anyone else, being on my lawn for an extended (read ANY) period of time.

Hell no, you would be like the gun totin Granny shooting up the SUV full of family.

I would put out a case of Alaska's finest seasonal and bear a white flags, but my ass would probably still get shot.

Hell no, you would be like the gun totin Granny shooting up the SUV full of family.

I would put out a case of Alaska's finest seasonal and bear a white flags, but my ass would probably still get shot.

No, older folks are less likely to incur my considerable wrath.

Back