Morality quiz

FUCK THE POLICE

911 EVERY DAY
http://www.yourmorals.org/

Well, I took this test roughly two or three years back and got this:

73SrP.png

So, I decided to retake it, and got something like this:

XsnCu.png

Well, now I'm perfectly fair, score slightly less on the loyalty metric than the average conservative, and slightly less on the respect for authority metric than the average liberal (whereas I had been essentially nothing on the loyalty metric before; not as much change on the authority metric). Also, 0.5 on purity, I guess for admitting that I'd look down on people who did something disgusting somewhat. The 4.8 on harm-reduction both times is, I suppose, from admitting that it's sometimes OK to kill people.

If anyone's ever wondered how I can make so many of these selective screenshots, I use an app called hyperdesktop, which you can find here. This program allows to just press ctrl+shift+4, select an area of the screen, and it immediately takes the screenshot and alerts you with a popup when it's done uploading (which you can click on to take you to the image). This is a lot better than manually cropping photos in paint and manually uploading them to imgur.

Anyway, I mention this because I don't think that you can directly link to your results - although I may be wrong.

The cornerstone of the site is the Moral Foundations Questionnaire. This asks questions that rank you on five different areas associated with morality. The areas are: Fairness, Harm, Loyalty, Authority, and Purity. The site explains what each of these means, but, to be brief, liberals tend to rank high only on Fairness and Harm (i.e., they find actions that hurt people or treat people unfairly to be immoral actions), while conservatives tend to also rank high on Authority, Loyalty, and Purity (i.e., they also find actions that go against the leader, the group, or engender feelings of disgust to be immoral actions).

Of course, we all have our own unique gut-level tipping points for each of the five areas, but the site’s creators have found their generalizations about liberals and conservatives to be true. Their purpose in maintaining the site is to make those of us who take the quizzes more aware of our own “home morality,” as Jonathan Haidt, one of the site’s developers, calls it. By knowing where you stand, the creators hope that you can then step out of your home morality and try to imagine where the other guy stands. The hoped-for result of that is greater civility in politics.

The moral foundations questionnaire measures five foundations. The following descriptions are taken from the moral foundations theory webpage where “the theory proposes that five innate and universally available psychological systems are the foundations of “intuitive ethics.” Each culture then constructs virtues, narratives, and institutions on top of these foundations, thereby creating the unique moralities we see around the world, and conflicting within nations too.”

1) Harm/care, related to our long evolution as mammals with attachment
systems and an ability to feel (and dislike) the pain of others. This foundation underlies virtues of kindness, gentleness, and nurturance.

2) Fairness/reciprocity, related to the evolutionary process of reciprocal altruism. This foundation generates ideas of justice, rights, and autonomy.

3) Ingroup/loyalty, related to our long history as tribal creatures able to form shifting coalitions. This foundation underlies virtues of patriotism and self-sacrifice for the group. It is active anytime people feel that it’s “one for all, and all for one.”

4) Authority/respect, shaped by our long primate history of hierarchical social interactions. This foundation underlies virtues of leadership and followership, including deference to legitimate authority and respect for traditions.

5) Purity/sanctity, shaped by the psychology of disgust and contamination. This foundation underlies religious notions of striving to live in an elevated, less carnal, more noble way. It underlies the widespread idea that the body is a temple which can be desecrated by immoral activities and contaminants (an idea not unique to religious
traditions).

The central finding of Moral Foundations theory to date is the split between what liberals and conservatives report caring about. Specifically, Liberals care more exclusively about issues concerning harm and fairness, while conservatives also care about issues surrounding obeying rightful authority, being loyal to one’s ingroup, and avoiding “unnatural” violations of one’s purity.

Quoted from the website. I'd suggest reading 'The Authoritarians' located free online...there is a test there as well.

I took the test two years ago and again just now. My score rose on Harm, Fairness and Loyalty but decreased on Authority and Purity. Does that mean I've become a kinder and gentler dirty old man?

i'm quite proud of my score :) I swear it's genuine O_o

I actually think the questions were kind of dumb, and could be thought about in different ways.

Back