More Good News for Chocolate Lovers

Thorn

Well, I for one certainly welcome this1 :)

Ok, OK, there still are a lot of questions, but somehow if you really like chocolate those questions seem so much less important.

Sweet Science: The Health Benefits of Chocolate
Rachael Rettner
LiveScience Staff Writer
LiveScience.com rachael Rettner
livescience Staff Writer
livescience.com
1 hr 33 mins ago

Yet another health benefit has been linked to eating chocolate: It may decrease your risk of stroke, a new study suggests.

The analysis, which will be presented in April at the American Academy of Neurology's 62nd Annual Meeting, reviewed the results of three previous studies. One study with more than 44,000 participants found that those who ate a weekly serving of chocolate were 22 percent less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate no chocolate.

The researchers caution however, that more studies are needed to confirm the link, and other factors besides chocolate consumption could be contributing to the decreased stroke risk. Also, one reviewed study showed no connection between stroke risk and chocolate consumption.

Still, the results add to a growing list of potential advantages to eating chocolate, including a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease. But this doesn't mean you should gorge yourself on the candy this Valentine's day either.

Among the pros and cons of chocolate:

Chocolate can be good for you

Many previous studies have linked eating chocolate with health benefits, including:

A 2008 study found that people who ate a small amount of dark chocolate a day (about 6.7 grams) had lower levels of a protein that is associated with inflammation in their blood.
Other recent studies have found that blood platelets clump together more slowly in chocolate eaters. Clumping platelets can lead to the formation of blood clots, which in turn can cause a heart attack. Chocolate consumption may lower blood pressure, help prevent formation of artery plaques and improve blood flow, according to other research.
Eating chocolate may even help with math, or at least counting. A study reported in 2009 showed that people did a better job of counting backwards in groups of three after they had consumed a hot cocoa drink containing large amounts of a compound found in chocolate. These compounds, called flavonoids, which we'll get to later, may increase blood flow to the brain.
Chocolate may also have anti-cancer benefits because flavonoids may help reduce the cell damage that can spur tumor growth.

"More and more research is showing that [eating chocolate] is really more beneficial than we ever imagined," said Katherine Tallmadge a registered dietician and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

However, she notes that the advantages you get still appear to be quite small. "It's not anything major, but it's still an advantage, and even slight advantages can make a difference for some people," she said.

Not all chocolate is created equal

Certain forms of chocolate are better for your health than others, and it comes down to one key component of the rich snack: flavonoids.

These compounds, which are found in the seeds of cacao plants (from which chocolate is made), are antioxidants that are thought to help protect cells against damage that might come from environmental toxins, or simply byproducts of vital processes in the body.

Consuming flavonoids has been linked to heart benefits. But since flavonoids are bitter, most commercial chocolate goes through processing steps that remove these compounds. Less processed, or darker chocolates, will tend to have higher levels of flavonoids. Your best choice in terms of healthiness is to go with natural, unsweetened cocoa powder, Tallmadge said.

"You can have mounds of it," because it is low in calories and full of flavonoids, Tallmadge told LiveScience.

Runners-up for health benefits are bittersweet and semisweet chocolate with a high cocoa percentage, she said. Unfortunately for milk-chocolate lovers, this type of chocolate has lower levels of flavonoids.

Chocolate can be bad for you

The underlying health benefits don't give you an excuse to eat chocolate by the pound.

"Because we mainly eat it as a candy with sugar added, it's going to be high in calories and not necessarily good for you in high quantities, because it will take the place of more nutritious foods," Tallmadge said.

For instance, if you gorge on chocolate, you might skimp out on fruits and vegetables, which are also important for heart health and disease prevention.

Tallmadge advises that people who want to eat chocolate limit themselves to one ounce per day. "Any more than that and you're probably going to take in too many calories for weight control," she said.

Other foods and beverages can also provide flavonoids, including citrus fruits, onions, green tea and red wine.

Ok, OK, there still are a lot of questions, but somehow if you really like chocolate those questions seem so much less important.

Rachael Rettner
LiveScience Staff Writer
livescience Staff Writer
livescience.com
1 hr 33 mins ago

Yet another health benefit has been linked to eating chocolate: It may decrease your risk of stroke, a new study suggests.

The analysis, which will be presented in April at the American Academy of Neurology's 62nd Annual Meeting, reviewed the results of three previous studies. One study with more than 44,000 participants found that those who ate a weekly serving of chocolate were 22 percent less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate no chocolate.

The researchers caution however, that more studies are needed to confirm the link, and other factors besides chocolate consumption could be contributing to the decreased stroke risk. Also, one reviewed study showed no connection between stroke risk and chocolate consumption.

Still, the results add to a growing list of potential advantages to eating chocolate, including a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease. But this doesn't mean you should gorge yourself on the candy this Valentine's day either.

Many previous studies have linked eating chocolate with health benefits, including:

A 2008 study found that people who ate a small amount of dark chocolate a day (about 6.7 grams) had lower levels of a protein that is associated with inflammation in their blood.
Other recent studies have found that blood platelets clump together more slowly in chocolate eaters. Clumping platelets can lead to the formation of blood clots, which in turn can cause a heart attack. Chocolate consumption may lower blood pressure, help prevent formation of artery plaques and improve blood flow, according to other research.
Eating chocolate may even help with math, or at least counting. A study reported in 2009 showed that people did a better job of counting backwards in groups of three after they had consumed a hot cocoa drink containing large amounts of a compound found in chocolate. These compounds, called flavonoids, which we'll get to later, may increase blood flow to the brain.
Chocolate may also have anti-cancer benefits because flavonoids may help reduce the cell damage that can spur tumor growth.

"More and more research is showing that [eating chocolate] is really more beneficial than we ever imagined," said Katherine Tallmadge a registered dietician and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

However, she notes that the advantages you get still appear to be quite small. "It's not anything major, but it's still an advantage, and even slight advantages can make a difference for some people," she said.

Certain forms of chocolate are better for your health than others, and it comes down to one key component of the rich snack: flavonoids.

These compounds, which are found in the seeds of cacao plants (from which chocolate is made), are antioxidants that are thought to help protect cells against damage that might come from environmental toxins, or simply byproducts of vital processes in the body.

Consuming flavonoids has been linked to heart benefits. But since flavonoids are bitter, most commercial chocolate goes through processing steps that remove these compounds. Less processed, or darker chocolates, will tend to have higher levels of flavonoids. Your best choice in terms of healthiness is to go with natural, unsweetened cocoa powder, Tallmadge said.

"You can have mounds of it," because it is low in calories and full of flavonoids, Tallmadge told LiveScience.

Runners-up for health benefits are bittersweet and semisweet chocolate with a high cocoa percentage, she said. Unfortunately for milk-chocolate lovers, this type of chocolate has lower levels of flavonoids.

The underlying health benefits don't give you an excuse to eat chocolate by the pound.

"Because we mainly eat it as a candy with sugar added, it's going to be high in calories and not necessarily good for you in high quantities, because it will take the place of more nutritious foods," Tallmadge said.

For instance, if you gorge on chocolate, you might skimp out on fruits and vegetables, which are also important for heart health and disease prevention.

Tallmadge advises that people who want to eat chocolate limit themselves to one ounce per day. "Any more than that and you're probably going to take in too many calories for weight control," she said.

Other foods and beverages can also provide flavonoids, including citrus fruits, onions, green tea and red wine.

Chocolate also contains trytophan which is a precursor for serotonin aka 5-hydroxytryptamine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1760750/

Chocolate also contains trytophan which is a precursor for serotonin aka 5-hydroxytryptamine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1760750/

L-Tryptophan competes relatively unsuccessfully in the gut for absorption and uptake with l-tyrosine, the precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine (and also adrenaline). Recent studies (please don't ask for a link, I learned this at work) have shown that the drowsiness experienced after a big turkey dinner is actually attributable to the quantity of food eaten, usually quite warm food, and not to the tryptophan in the turkey at all.

Campers are sometimes encouraged to eat chocolate at night to help in keeping warm; that is more likely because of the sugar content, but the chocolate also helps, I think via the ATP agonist it contains.

L-Tryptophan competes relatively unsuccessfully in the gut for absorption and uptake with l-tyrosine, the precursor of the neurotransmitters dopamine and norepinephrine (and also adrenaline). Recent studies (please don't ask for a link, I learned this at work) have shown that the drowsiness experienced after a big turkey dinner is actually attributable to the quantity of food eaten, usually quite warm food, and not to the tryptophan in the turkey at all.

Campers are sometimes encouraged to eat chocolate at night to help in keeping warm; that is more likely because of the sugar content, but the chocolate also helps, I think via the ATP agonist it contains.

I looked up d-tryptophan and found that it is really only the levo form that is involved in protein formation. I have a chemistry degree but that was a long time ago, I presume that both optical isomers are present in a racemic mixture in the stomach?

Last edited:
I looked up d-tryptophan and found that it is really only the levo form that is involved in protein formation. I have a chemistry degree but that was a long time ago, I presume that both optical isomers are present in a racemic mixture in the stomach?

If the source is food, I expect you're correct. You just happened to point out something that I was intimately familiar with. Where I went to university we had to do an undergraduate research thesis in order to proceed to the next level. I did both my Bachelor's and Master's theses on serotonin, stress and depression. Left that behind when I went on because my school had a three-degree rule.

Chocolate is also a useful recovery item to consume immediately after you have had an encounter with Dementors.

dementor_kiss_.jpg

Rachael Rettner
LiveScience Staff Writer
livescience Staff Writer
livescience.com
1 hr 33 mins ago

What is it with women and chocolate? My wife once told me she loved me more then chocolate. My reply was "Don't lie to me!"

Wow..... I wish I had your brain!

Never been a huge fan of the dark chocolate. What do they say about the health benefits of brownies? I like the funny brownies.

See? I told you she'd get hot and bothered!! Thank God you didn't mention the lipid-soluble electron carrier coenzyme Q10. There's no telling what would of happened.

Never been a huge fan of the dark chocolate. What do they say about the health benefits of brownies? I like the funny brownies.

Well, I think they're helpful if you have glaucoma. :p Otherwise I guess it's the same as the dark chocolate (if you use dark). I have a recipe from a flour bag that is titled "The Best Fudge Brownies Ever" -- and they really are.

I used to make my own energy bars using brownie mix as a base. I would replace the vegetable oil with a mix of olive oil and some source of omega 3 fatty acids (flax seed oil...fish oil is supposedly better but, alas, the taste.) and then would mix in some bran, nuts, dried fruits (non-sweetened), raw brown sugar, some rolled oats for texture, some sea salt and spike it all with some b vitamins and coenenzme Q10 (both aid in cellular metabolism).

It was a hit and miss recipe but it was calorie dense, moist and chewy and easy to digest under physical stress and washed down well with water or sports drink. It beat the hell out of power or cliff bars and was a hell of a lot cheaper.

A lot of people like the funny brownies. :cof1:

I wish I could have inherited my dad's genes and had the option to become a chemist as well. Its a useful skill set...

A lot of people like the funny brownies. :cof1:

I wish I could have inherited my dad's genes and had the option to become a chemist as well. Its a useful skill set...
You're better off being a chemist if you lack imagination. Imagination and chemistry often spells big trouble!!!

You're better off being a chemist if you lack imagination. Imagination and chemistry often spells big trouble!!!

My dad works for the city of Lynnwood, WA (love that town, btw) as the Asst. Manager at the Wastewater Treatment Plant. He entered the field under Seattle Metro Wastewater Treatment, and then switched over to Lynnwood in 1990. Prior to that he had worked at a testing lab in Seattle called Laux, but he says he couldn't stand the fumes of the industrial chemicals he worked with, so he jumped fields.

He claims that his interest in working as a chemist is that it isolates him from having to "work with people." Which is funny, because he has to interface with city government as well as be a functional supervisor. He has great stories about bizarre things people have done, though, so I can see where his cynicism comes from. He's also bitter that the city appointed a new manager over him (political appointment, basically) when he has been serving as asst. manager for at least a decade.

LOL! Ask my parents. They refused to buy me a chemistry set on that basis, so I used whatever I could find around the house and barn.
Ask my former employer. I got the idea that if nitric acid would oxidize chromium oxide at ambient conditions as a solid that it would do it even more affectively if I heated it to 2,500 deg and melted it before I added the nitric acid. Unfortunately I was right...it worked a little to well shall we say.

Back