APP - more government interference

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
mom wants to stop her kids from stealing and bullying by wearing t-shirts that say 'i steal' or 'i am a bully' to school, but the school authorities will not let her do it saying "that it was bad for the kid's self image" - of course the problem is that it was working

Jessica Rocha of Fort Morgan, Colorado said that she had run out of disciplinary options to control her children’s’ bad behavior and that was the reason she planned on sending her son and her fiancé’s daughter to school with t-shirts labeling the kids “bully” and “thief.” Rocha told KUSA 9 News that 8-year-old Aurora, and 9-year-old Xavier (last names withheld), were both having serious behavior problems at Green Acres Elementary. She had tried everything from grounding, to taking away sports, toys and privileges, but nothing worked.

Aurora admitted she likes to steal. So as punishment, the mother had her wear a t-shirt to school that read, "I steal!!! Steal means taking property belonging to someone else without permission..." with the back reading, "I steal...Please watch me." The 2nd grader said that she was made fun of by her classmates and the principal had her cover the shirt up. According to Ms. Rocha, the stealing shirt worked and after the one day Aurora wore the shirt, her stealing stopped.

Rocha planned a “bully” shirt for her son, but school district officials told her that she could not make her kids wear those types of shirts to school. Ron Echols, superintendent of Fort Morgan Schools said, "I respect her right to do what's best for her family…But, I wish she would leave the school out of it. We cannot support something that is demeaning to the kids." Ms. Rocha believes that the school is overstepping, and that she is just trying to teach her children to be accountable adding, "We are trying to parent at home, so they don't end up in foster care. So, they don't end up in jail. So, they don't end up in prison later on."

http://news.yahoo.com/video/mom-wants-her-kids-wear-215243224.html

Back