More political slime bites the dust

uscitizen

Villified User
Ex-NC House Speaker Sentenced to 5 Years

By GARY D. ROBERTSON
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Former state House Speaker Jim Black, once one of the most powerful men in North Carolina government, was sentenced Wednesday to more than five years in prison for illegally taking cash from chiropractors while promoting their agenda.

U.S. District Judge Terrence Boyle also fined him $50,000.

Black, 72, had pleaded guilty in February to a single count of accepting things of value in connection with the business of state government. The federal charge carries a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and a $250,000 fine, but sentencing guidelines suggested a shorter term.

The judge on Wednesday rejected prosecutors' requests for a harsher sentence, instead giving Black five years and three months in prison. He will be allowed to report to prison later this month.

Black had apologized in court for his "stupid mistakes" and pleaded for leniency.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to accept full responsibility for the mistakes that I've made," the Democrat said Wednesday. "I apologize to my colleagues, my family," Black added before apologizing to the citizens of the state.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BLACK_INVESTIGATION?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Ex-NC House Speaker Sentenced to 5 Years

By GARY D. ROBERTSON
Associated Press Writer

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) -- Former state House Speaker Jim Black, once one of the most powerful men in North Carolina government, was sentenced Wednesday to more than five years in prison for illegally taking cash from chiropractors while promoting their agenda.

U.S. District Judge Terrence Boyle also fined him $50,000.

Black, 72, had pleaded guilty in February to a single count of accepting things of value in connection with the business of state government. The federal charge carries a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and a $250,000 fine, but sentencing guidelines suggested a shorter term.

The judge on Wednesday rejected prosecutors' requests for a harsher sentence, instead giving Black five years and three months in prison. He will be allowed to report to prison later this month.

Black had apologized in court for his "stupid mistakes" and pleaded for leniency.

"I'd like to take this opportunity to accept full responsibility for the mistakes that I've made," the Democrat said Wednesday. "I apologize to my colleagues, my family," Black added before apologizing to the citizens of the state.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BLACK_INVESTIGATION?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

You know, accepting bribes is not a "mistake".

But, at least he's in jail for it. There's far more out than in.

I guess politicos think accepting bribes is kinda like forgetting your keys in the car and locking the door....

You guys really shouldn't be so judgemental. And you're the king of judging without knowing shit about anything the person went through, US.

Back