Mott's claim the refs 'spotted Bama 21' on ND with bad calls

I've seen Mott make this comment in two different threads about the BCS National Championship game, and I have found this same 'consensus' seems to be running viral throughout the north, on message forums near and far. If only the call on the punt had correctly given ND the ball instead of Alabama....

Mott calculates this to be 7 less points for Alabama, and 7 more points for ND. So, there are 14 of his 21 points, just on that one call. The problem is, it PRESUMES what MIGHT have happened, had the scenario been different, and this is something we can't and don't know with certainty. Yes, ND would have had very good field position, and yes, Alabama's defense could have found itself with their backs to the wall very early on, but is Mott, or any of these morons, aware of what Alabama's defense has done in these situations through the season? Do they understand how many times I have scolded fellow Bama fans from ASSUMING the other team is going to score "at least a FG here..." Nope... DENIED! Don't count those points until they are ON the board, because Alabama's defense can be brutal and stingy, when you think all hope is lost.

It is just as likely, had the scenario given ND the ball, deep in Bama territory; The Bama D would have sacked the QB or HB in the backfield a few times, and put them out of FG range! Or maybe even blocked their FG attempt and ran it back for a TD? We don't know what MIGHT have happened. If ND had attempted that stupid 'dunk shot' pass on Lester, he may have burned their asses much earlier? To make presumptions on what you think may have happened, in any given change of scenarios, is just ignorant of the game itself, in my opinion. You simply don't know what MIGHT have happened.

In the 1975 Orange Bowl game, Notre Dame defeated Alabama for the second straight time in a bowl, 13-11. During that game, in the 1st Qtr., there was a highly controversial call. A 45 yd. FG attempt by ND was blocked by Alabama, but the refs called Alabama for 'offsides' (replay shows they weren't), giving ND a first down, and three plays later, they score a TD. This was before 'review' or instant replay, the call on the field was just the call, and life went on. But for days after this bitter loss, Alabama fans moped around whining about the bad call, which they felt, essentially lost the game for Alabama.

Paul "Bear" Bryant was asked in an interview about the bad call, and here is what he said from what I recall, it is paraphrased: "If you have to depend on the officials making the right calls to win, then your team was not prepared enough to win." For some reason, that line from Bryant has stuck with me my whole life, and I have always remembered it when my team lost a close game with poor officiating. What he said, is profoundly true. Nick Saban's 2012 team proved this last night. Bad calls would not have stopped the dominating performance his team displayed on the field, from start to finish.

The ND offense was powerless until the 2nd half. Even if they had gotten the fumble, the Bama defense was more likely to have stopped them than the ND offense was to score.

In the first quarter, ND had a total time of possession of 2:28. They ran 8 plays for a grand total of 38 yards. Their chances of actually scoring were very slim, at best.

Back