Cable host Keith Olbermann and news channel MSNBC abruptly parted ways on Friday night, as the network announced that his contract had ended and the last installment of Mr. Olbermann's program would air that evening.
"MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors," the network said in an emailed statement just before the end of Mr. Olbermann's program.
The network said that 10 p.m. host Lawrence O'Donnell would fill Mr. Olbermann's 8 p.m. slot beginning on Monday.
MSNBC is part of NBC Universal, which Comcast Corp. received regulatory approval to take over earlier this week.

:loser:
In other words, your ratings suck and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
"MSNBC thanks Keith for his integral role in MSNBC's success and we wish him well in his future endeavors," the network said in an emailed statement just before the end of Mr. Olbermann's program.
The network said that 10 p.m. host Lawrence O'Donnell would fill Mr. Olbermann's 8 p.m. slot beginning on Monday.
MSNBC is part of NBC Universal, which Comcast Corp. received regulatory approval to take over earlier this week.

:loser:
In other words, your ratings suck and don't let the door hit you on the way out.