Music: The Great Unifier?

Snipped from another thread to spawn a new topic:

You play? What instrument? Genre? Just curious...I'm an acoustic roots music guy. Blues, folk, bluegrass, etc. I play rhythm guitar, mandolin and sing..my buddy playa lead, banjo and some vocals... but basically spells me about every 3-4 songs.

Love to meet fellow musicians.

Play guitar, left handed........... blues, top 40 (in the 60's and 70's), country.....haven't picked it up in a few years more than 3 or 4 times....bought a pedal steel a little over a year ago (right handed) and giving that a shot....3 pedals, 4 knee levers, 10 strings.....its kinda wild having your feet, knees, fingers and hands going all at the same time....
don't gig anymore except with one neighbor just for kicks.....to old for the night life anymore.

I ran across this in the middle of an unrelated topic, and thought it was interesting enough to spawn a new topic. Here we have two posters who are as different as night and day in their political views, finding common ground through music. I have always felt that music is our great unifying force, not only between political rivals, but culturally as well. It's something that seems to transcend our differences and bring us together.

I have been a musician since age 7, when my father bought me a 1967 Fender Stratocaster Sunburst. A guitar that, if I still had, would be worth about $10-15k now. I was way too young to appreciate this, and absolutely HATED music lessons. After fighting with me for about a year, my dad finally gave up on his dream of me being a musical prodigy, and the Strat went under the bed until I was in my teens. It saw some action then.. me and my high school buddies would dress up like KISS and put on shows from the patio, complete with homemade flashpots. (two metal wastebaskets with a cup of gasoline.) The buddy who was Gene Simmons, even learned how to "breathe fire" with lighter fluid... it's a wonder we survived. The Strat survived, but at some point, my stupid teenage ass decided it would be a good idea to sand it down and paint it silver. About 10 years later, a guy I worked with, who was a guitarist, said he would LOVE to get it and restore it. He offered to do all the work, and we would then sell it and split what we made. I agreed, and handed it over for restoration. A week later, he failed to show up at work for 3 days, so I went to his house... he had skipped. Never have seen or heard from him again.

In any event, I didn't seriously begin playing guitar until I was 38, which was 15 years ago. I play acoustic, and have a really sweet cedar-top Seagull. Very much into Bob Dylan, The Band, Gram Parsons, Townes Van Zandt, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, The Stones, etc. I like 'reworking' a song from another genre, and making it my own. I've done unusual 'folk' covers of New York, New York by Sinatra, and Crazy in Love by Beyonce. My most requested cover is Alanis Morissette's Not the Doctor. I also have a bunch of my own songs, which people say they like better than my covers.

My music friends are mostly liberal, some of them are VERY liberal. Needless to say, we don't debate politics... (that's why I come here!) Now, my friends and I love each other, and would be there for each other in crisis, and HAVE been. Our political views never enter into the picture, it's as if they simply don't exist or don't matter.

It's a shame the rest of society can't be this way.

Snipped from another thread to spawn a new topic:

I ran across this in the middle of an unrelated topic, and thought it was interesting enough to spawn a new topic. Here we have two posters who are as different as night and day in their political views, finding common ground through music. I have always felt that music is our great unifying force, not only between political rivals, but culturally as well. It's something that seems to transcend our differences and bring us together.

I have been a musician since age 7, when my father bought me a 1967 Fender Stratocaster Sunburst. A guitar that, if I still had, would be worth about $10-15k now. I was way too young to appreciate this, and absolutely HATED music lessons. After fighting with me for about a year, my dad finally gave up on his dream of me being a musical prodigy, and the Strat went under the bed until I was in my teens. It saw some action then.. me and my high school buddies would dress up like KISS and put on shows from the patio, complete with homemade flashpots. (two metal wastebaskets with a cup of gasoline.) The buddy who was Gene Simmons, even learned how to "breathe fire" with lighter fluid... it's a wonder we survived. The Strat survived, but at some point, my stupid teenage ass decided it would be a good idea to sand it down and paint it silver. About 10 years later, a guy I worked with, who was a guitarist, said he would LOVE to get it and restore it. He offered to do all the work, and we would then sell it and split what we made. I agreed, and handed it over for restoration. A week later, he failed to show up at work for 3 days, so I went to his house... he had skipped. Never have seen or heard from him again.

In any event, I didn't seriously begin playing guitar until I was 38, which was 15 years ago. I play acoustic, and have a really sweet cedar-top Seagull. Very much into Bob Dylan, The Band, Gram Parsons, Townes Van Zandt, Grateful Dead, Tom Petty, The Stones, etc. I like 'reworking' a song from another genre, and making it my own. I've done unusual 'folk' covers of New York, New York by Sinatra, and Crazy in Love by Beyonce. My most requested cover is Alanis Morissette's Not the Doctor. I also have a bunch of my own songs, which people say they like better than my covers.

My music friends are mostly liberal, some of them are VERY liberal. Needless to say, we don't debate politics... (that's why I come here!) Now, my friends and I love each other, and would be there for each other in crisis, and HAVE been. Our political views never enter into the picture, it's as if they simply don't exist or don't matter.

It's a shame the rest of society can't be this way.

Thanks for sharing Dixie. It's a damned shame about the strat. Seagulls are nice guitars. I used to own two of them...one was a 6 string electric acoustic, and the other was a 12 string without electronics. Of course, I was younger then and I just started getting into the Blues scene by listening to SRV..... so I sold them and bought a Jimmie Vaughan Signature Strat and a Johnson modeling amp which had two memory banks...one had 100 presets and the other had 100 user slots that you could create your own sounds....I couldn't afford the SRV strat and the amp, so I downgraded the guitar, which basically had the same TexMex electronics in it. I played in a Blues band for a little while...but my band mates were more interested in partying than playing...so I quit.

Started doing some solo stuff with a Martin D1 and the Johnson(had two channels so I plugged a mic in the other).

Did that for a little and there was a new RN that started at the place my wife and I work. He was assigned to the same clinic as my wife and through conversation, she found out he played. So we inviter him out to the house, and found out he was fantastic....better than me, honestly. He played fine Solos and he's a fingerpicker in the old school country blues style. His style and my strumming style blended well...so we started a duo...a little later on, we added a blues harp player...

My mom passed away in 2004. My first guitar teacher played a Martin D35 and I fell in love with the three piece back. So I took part of my inheritance and bought one...I had her name and year of birth/ death inlayed on frets 12 and 13. I also had electronic put into it. That's my main guitar...I also have a Takemine 12 string, which I barely play.

Sorry for rambling...

I have fooled around with a mandolin, several of my friends have and play them. I can do okay if you show me where the chords are.

My daughter just bought her first (she paid for) guitar, it's a Takamine. She loves it. She's 21, and just wrote her first song, and it's better than anything I've ever done, she is going to be really good.

The most beautiful music I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, came early one Sunday morning, at a little music festival I attend each year. We all camp out, and Sunday is going home day, so when I woke in my tent, I heard these two guys just outside, playing dual fiddles and a Cajun song by the name of The Parting Waltz. The words are in French, but the melody is so moving it doesn't need words. A two-part fiddle riff is hard to beat.

I have fooled around with a mandolin, several of my friends have and play them. I can do okay if you show me where the chords are.

My daughter just bought her first (she paid for) guitar, it's a Takamine. She loves it. She's 21, and just wrote her first song, and it's better than anything I've ever done, she is going to be really good.

The most beautiful music I have ever had the pleasure of listening to, came early one Sunday morning, at a little music festival I attend each year. We all camp out, and Sunday is going home day, so when I woke in my tent, I heard these two guys just outside, playing dual fiddles and a Cajun song by the name of The Parting Waltz. The words are in French, but the melody is so moving it doesn't need words. A two-part fiddle riff is hard to beat.

Yeah...I wouldn't mind learning the fiddle. The tuning is the same as mando, so the chording would be the same.

One thing that helped me a lot with mandolin was a computer program called "Chord Wizard Pro" it has chord shapes for all stringed instruments...guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, etc...including alternative tunings. With the stuff I play, I'm usually in standard tuning...sometimes in drop D, and sometimes go to an open D or G. But I think DADGAD sounds good and I'd like to mess around with it sometime.

I'm a shitty songwriter. I get one verse and a chorus... and I'm done. I have written a couple, but they aren't very good. That's one skill I wish I had...I'd love to be able to come up with stuff like the 70's California scene....James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Henley/Frey, etc...those guys were great songwriters. I'm a big John Prine fan too....I play a boatload of his songs because they're easy and his lyrics and rhymes are amusing and a little thrown off.

Yeah...I wouldn't mind learning the fiddle. The tuning is the same as mando, so the chording would be the same.

One thing that helped me a lot with mandolin was a computer program called "Chord Wizard Pro" it has chord shapes for all stringed instruments...guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, etc...including alternative tunings. With the stuff I play, I'm usually in standard tuning...sometimes in drop D, and sometimes go to an open D or G. But I think DADGAD sounds good and I'd like to mess around with it sometime.

I'm a shitty songwriter. I get one verse and a chorus... and I'm done. I have written a couple, but they aren't very good. That's one skill I wish I had...I'd love to be able to come up with stuff like the 70's California scene....James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Henley/Frey, etc...those guys were great songwriters. I'm a big John Prine fan too....I play a boatload of his songs because they're easy and his lyrics and rhymes are amusing and a little thrown off.

Big John Prine fan too. I don't do any of his songs, but I love listening to them. The music festival I go to each year, has had some legendary talent, but I tell mainstream folks about them, and no one knows who I am talking about... I bet you are familiar with Sam Bush, Doc Watson, Vassar Clements, Jimmy Martin, Marcia Ball, Carolina Chocolate Drops, and this year, Tony Rice.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2362&alid=-1

Don't know if any of the tunes there still work. If so the Mosquito Creek song won a friday nite amateur song contest on some country station in Vegas. Nothing ever came of it. I've lost my chops over the yrs and can't carry the equipment anymore and can't stay up till 2 a.m. and cant party and drink like I used to and don't need to chase the women and half the guys I played with are dead so I just plunk now-a-days.
I have a 72 tele deluxe, a 77 strat and if I'd kept all the Les Pauls and SGs that I owned in the late 60s and 70s I'd buy a big boat. Played country, r&r and southern rock for yrs. Arthritis makes playing tough now so I bought a mandolin and plunk on it now and then.

Great unifier yea maybe but politics is politics and music is music.

I was told long ago to write about what you know, so I do songs about bar fights and fishing.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2362&alid=-1

Don't know if any of the tunes there still work. If so the Mosquito Creek song won a friday nite amateur song contest on some country station in Vegas. Nothing ever came of it. I've lost my chops over the yrs and can't carry the equipment anymore and can't stay up till 2 a.m. and cant party and drink like I used to and don't need to chase the women and half the guys I played with are dead so I just plunk now-a-days.
I have a 72 tele deluxe, a 77 strat and if I'd kept all the Les Pauls and SGs that I owned in the late 60s and 70s I'd buy a big boat. Played country, r&r and southern rock for yrs. Arthritis makes playing tough now so I bought a mandolin and plunk on it now and then.

Great unifier yea maybe but politics is politics and music is music.

I was told long ago to write about what you know, so I do songs about bar fights and fishing.

I wish I would have gotten to respond to Dixie before he left...those guys he mentioned? Are/were all regulars at a music festival that I make the 9 hour drive to every couple of years. Merlefest.

Anyway...hey...nice to meet you crash. I know what you mean about carrying the equipment. I have a surgically repaired back and we were playing through two Samson DB500A's...which are 500 watt powered speakers and weighed about 65lbs a piece. I recently traded them in.

I downgraded to a Fishman SA220 Soloamp. It only has two channels, but my buddy is getting one too. They are designed for acoustic instruments and vocals. The nice thing about them is that they have a wide sound dispersement, so if you place them behind and to the side of you, you don't need floor monitors to hear yourself. With two of them, you can crosslink them through the monitor in/out jacks and dial in the other person's and get a proper mix...has built in reverb too. Best of all? 25lbs and comes with a padded gig bag carrying case that has built in wheels and a shoulder strap. I haven't gigged with it yet, because I work third shift now and only get every third weekend off. It's kind of hard to get jobs when your schedule is so inflexible.

Fishman SA220 Soloamp. Wow nice. things have sure have changed since the days of 100 lb Fender amps and giant sound systems. I used Fender Twins but my favorite was a Music Man 100 when I switched from Les Pauls to a Strat. We needed someone in the band to play a strat because the other two guitar players played a les paul and an ES 335. I sold my beat Music Man lately and got $450 for it. I now rely on my 1948 Alamo when I need to plug in, usually just to show my girlfriends kids what real rock and roll is, their music sucks hard.

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/album.php?albumid=60&attachmentid=984

Rock on Steelplate.

Back