My AI project was postponed until March

How are you doing?

I was about to post something like "mildly suicidal", but I've decided not to be a drama queen this time, so, pretty good.

What is the most interesting thing you have learned this semester?

Well, I learned that C++ is torture, and that taking a benadryl before trying to write the error catching code for the case statement in your compiler is a bad idea. I reaffirmed my belief that the "Computers and Society" discussion class is a complete and total waste of time.

I also made the following translation of the first paragraph of the Iliad:

Wrath, Goddess! Sing of the wrath of Achilles, Peleus' son
Which brought countless sufferings upon the Achains
And saw so many mighty souls hurled down to Hades before their time
Heroes, they were; but made the spoils of dogs
and all birds. And thus, the will of Zeus was fulfilled.
From when first divided in strife
Atreus's son, lord of men, and godlike Achilles.

I'd probably think material science was harder. Probably more math involved - there's just about no math in computer science. I kind of suck at math though, so maybe I'm biased.

Man, I thought computer science would have a ton of math. And yes, more than HALF of my material science stuff is math. REALLY fucking hard math.

Man, I thought computer science would have a ton of math. And yes, more than HALF of my material science stuff is math. REALLY fucking hard math.

Well, besides Discrete Math and Algorithms, there were only light sprinklings here and there. And the math that actually is in comp sci is honestly kind of sloppy (the use of the equal sign when people say that a algorithm = O(n) or something, for instance, is not at all a standard use of the equal sign). Practically any other non-social science or engineering field involves a shit ton of math.

Well, besides Discrete Math and Algorithms, there were only light sprinklings here and there. And the math that actually is in comp sci is honestly kind of sloppy (the use of the equal sign when people say that a algorithm = O(n) or something, for instance, is not at all a standard use of the equal sign). Practically any other non-social science or engineering field involves a shit ton of math.

Yes, so I've learned. At least the chemical shit is easy and fun.

Well, I lied and stayed on for 40 minutes. The problem with sites like reddit and JPP is that they're sort of like when you have an empty refrigerator and you're hungry, and you just keep on opening it up over and over again to see if anything's changed, give or take a couple of dozen hours.

I honestly found chemistry really enticing when I went back and studied Chemistry II. Almost made me want to change my major. But now I am here, about to become a mediocore computer programmer. What a life.

Missing out man. Material Science/chemical engineering is the shit. Especially with all the heavy industry in my area.

Well, I lied and stayed on for 40 minutes. The problem with sites like reddit and JPP is that they're sort of like when you have an empty refrigerator and you're hungry, and you just keep on opening it up over and over again to see if anything's changed, give or take a couple of dozen hours.

like a refrigerator, you need to put something edible in once in a while......

The typical Materials Science major takes 5 years to complete the degree. Many take 6 years. I believe MS, CE and EE are considered the most demanding engineering majors.

I honestly found chemistry really enticing when I went back and studied Chemistry II. Almost made me want to change my major. But now I am here, about to become a mediocore computer programmer. What a life.
Be glad you didn't. Demand for chemist is very low, even though it's a very substantive discipline. You're better off majoring in Engineering or the Biological Sciences.

Missing out man. Material Science/chemical engineering is the shit. Especially with all the heavy industry in my area.
Well compensated too. When I was doing research at OSU's ceramic engineerin/materials science department kids with BS degree were making mid 50's entry level. That was back in the mid 90's. I would imagine entry level would me mid 60's at least. Experienced mid carreer MSE's make around 100KPY.

Back