My All-Time Favorite Directors

Minister of Truth

Practically Perfect
There's been a lot of good threads about movies, lately, including one about which directors need to hang-up their camera. In no particular order are a list of my all-time favorites:

John Ford
Alfred Hitchcock
Michael Curtiz
Steven Spielberg
Peter Weir
Christopher Nolan
Peter Jackson
Martin Scorcese
Ridley Scott
Coen Bros.
Stanley Kubrick
Clint Eastwood

John Ford
William Wyler
Frank Capra
Alfred Hitchcock
Steven Spielberg
Martin Scorsese
Francis Ford Coppola
Ron Howard
Clint Eastwood
Billy Wilder
Victor Fleming
Elia Kazan
Sergio Leone

There's been a lot of good threads about movies, lately, including one about which directors need to hang-up their camera. In no particular order are a list of my all-time favorites:

Anthony Spinelli
Seymore Butts
Gerard Damiano
John Waters
Alex DeRenzy
Skeeter Kerkove
William A. Nutsack
Fixed that for you 3D.

I contemplated Capra, who, after Ford (4) is the winningest director with 3 (I'm not sure if he's been tied yet) academy awards.

Fleming is also a good choice. Hitchcock is one director everyone is going to agree on, which says a lot. Obviously, not everyone is familiar with older directors such as Ford, Capra, Curtiz, and Fleming...

I contemplated Capra, who, after Ford (4) is the winningest director with 3 (I'm not sure if he's been tied yet) academy awards.

Fleming is also a good choice. Hitchcock is one director everyone is going to agree on, which says a lot. Obviously, not everyone is familiar with older directors such as Ford, Capra, Curtiz, and Fleming...

Sergio Leone probably won't make most lists, but I am a huge fan of his "spaghetti westerns" with Eastwood, and I think his directing was brilliant in those.

It is surprising some pinhead hasn't chimed in to mention Roman Polanski, Woody Allen or Oliver Stone, I figured one of them would've by now. Mel Brooks is another one I forgot to list, really one of the better comedy directors of our time.

Sergio Leone probably won't make most lists, but I am a huge fan of his "spaghetti westerns" with Eastwood, and I think his directing was brilliant in those.

It is surprising some pinhead hasn't chimed in to mention Roman Polanski, Woody Allen or Oliver Stone, I figured one of them would've by now. Mel Brooks is another one I forgot to list, really one of the better comedy directors of our time.
Mel Brooks is another I would put on my list.

Oh, and Woody Allen's early stuff was funny, like Sleeper and Everything You Wanted to Know about Sex and a few others, but then he got drolly...Roman Polanski was always too weird for me and Oliver Stone, well, his stuff isn't gawd awful, but it doesn't raise the hairs on the back of my neck like some of the other director's stuff.

Back