My new phone

Cancel11

God Bless America
I got an HTC 8925 ("AT&T Tilt") for $150. It supports 3G, GPS, amidst a host of other neat features. I installed Skype on it, and I've already made a few long-distance calls over WiFi and 3G. Works really well.

It has a 3 megapixel camera which works decently, although not as well as the 2 megapixel camera in the iPhone. Still, I like this phone a LOT better than the iPhone. I'm quite fond of "copy and paste" and other advanced functions. ;)

It is not a phone, it is a multi use electronic communication, digital imaging and location device. Now if it would just control your TV as well you might have something.

hart to find just a phone now-a-days.

Linux doesn't have ctrl-alt-delete keys. But whenever a program fails, you can just usually ignore it, because it doesn't take down the system. You could also open up the terminal and close it manually, but I never do that because I never remember the CLI commands.

In Linux, CTRL-ALT-DEL triggers a soft reboot.

But I think what he was asking is whether the device itself has CTRL-ALT-DEL, and the answer is no, it does not. But Windows Mobile is very stable. I ran WM5 on my old phone for two years, without a problem. My new phone has WM6 which also seems decent.

I'm not a fan of Windows, but in this case it seems to do the job effectively.

Still, I would like to explore the possibility of loading Linux in place of Windows, because it is much more efficient. I put Linux on my old iRiver MP3 player and...wow, what a difference! I'm going to look into installing Linux on my Zune as well. (Before you comment on the fact that I have a Zune, please know that I got it for $35 ;)).

Last edited:
Still, I would like to explore the possibility of loading Linux in place of Windows, because it is much more efficient. I put Linux on my old iRiver MP3 player and...wow, what a difference! I'm going to look into installing Linux on my Zune as well. (Before you comment on the fact that I have a Zune, please know that I got it for $35 ;)).

On the IPod they've officially locked down the firmware to prevent anyone from installing linux on it since two generations ago. Apple is seriously the most fascist computer maker there is.

No it does not. It does nothing. At least in the newer versions.

It was probably changed due to all the windows users moving over and being surprised whenever a program crashed and they tried the key combo.

I think it depends on the distro. In the vast majority of distros, it triggers a soft reboot (in the absence of specific instructions to the contrary, i.e. in a GUI such as Gnome). My guess is you're running a "user-friendly" Linux. Ubuntu? On the other hand, it has been over a year since I used Linux. But I just put together a new machine, and once I get a FIOS business line, I'll probably do some personal hosting. What's the best distro these days?

Last edited:
On the IPod they've officially locked down the firmware to prevent anyone from installing linux on it since two generations ago. Apple is seriously the most fascist computer maker there is.

One of my friends has Linux running on his 5g iPod.

Everything has a work-around, son.

I think it depends on the distro. In the vast majority of distros, it triggers a soft reboot (in the absence of specific instructions to the contrary, i.e. in a GUI such as Gnome). My guess is you're running a "user-friendly" Linux. Ubuntu? On the other hand, it has been over a year since I used Linux. But I just put together a new machine, and once I get a FIOS business line, I'll probably do some personal hosting. What's the best distro these days?

LOL, yeah. They've seriously been trying to compete with Windows in the user friendliness area for the past few years, and have seriously failed. Linux is never really going to be anything other than a power user system, and the "user friendly" features that they've added just feel clunky.

The most popular distro these days is Ubuntu. Ubuntu is pretty much ahead of any other distro because of it has a lot of people putting a lot of effort into it and a ton of users. However, whenever I installed 8.0 and noticed several regressions (couldn't set the brightness on my LCD anymore, no network support without command line firmware edits and things like that), I just decided to wipe it and go back to Windows. I just don't have the time to power-use.

But if you do want to power-use, they're still developing Gentoo and Slackware.

I've decided to go with straight Debian (not Ubuntu or any other flavor). This summer I'll be attending Linux World in San Francisco, working at the Debian booth, so it might be a good idea to have at least a basic grasp of that particular distro. :p

Slackware is a very sloppy distro IMHO. At least it was when I ran it several years ago, and I doubt this has changed. Or has it?

Last edited:
I've decided to go with straight Debian (not Ubuntu or any other flavor). This summer I'll be attending Linux World in San Francisco, working at the Debian booth, so it might be a good idea to have at least a basic grasp of that particular distro. :p

Slackware is a very sloppy distro IMHO. At least it was when I ran it several years ago, and I doubt this has changed. Or has it?

Slackware has always been sloppy. Like I said... its for power users. It's not convenient at all.

Back