My new sled

nice. keep the rubber on the road and your eyes open for cagers.

I'm always watching the idiots that drive and can't see past their own little boxed in world.
AZ is averaging about 1 accident a week, where some idiot turns left in front of a bike rider and the usual excuse is: "I didn't see it".

I'm always watching the idiots that drive and can't see past their own little boxed in world.
AZ is averaging about 1 accident a week, where some idiot turns left in front of a bike rider and the usual excuse is: "I didn't see it".

the idiots we have out here in Texas like to move in to our lanes right beside us, as if they are thinking that because we're only two wheels, they can share the lane.

the idiots we have out here in Texas like to move in to our lanes right beside us, as if they are thinking that because we're only two wheels, they can share the lane.

We have had a rash of 4 wheelers running into the backs of the bikes, at stop lights and signs.
It's not only happened to single riders; but to groups.

z95_2012_SMALL_red(1).jpg

I fixed it. Click on the image for a larger view. The Raleigh International is a custom built Reynolds 853 steel frame with chromed lugs and fork. It's hooked up with full Dura Ace components and FSA Carbon Fiber cockpit. I down graded my wheels to DT Swiss R450 32 spoke rims with Dura Ace hubs as the wheels shown in the photo cost $500 more ($1000) and I don't need racing wheels. Those are great racing wheels but the ride harsh and don't take a lot of abuse cause there so light. So I bought some custom DT Swiss wheels. Which are more durable and comfortable for a 190 lb rider and are plenty fast for someone who's racing days are over. It's a sweet ride. If you only ever rode carbon fiber or aluminum and you try a high end steel frame like this you'd love it. It's so much more responsive. Total weight is about 18 lbs. Not bad for steel frame and fork.

Last edited:
still don't see it...

steel frame? mott.........................we are in the modern age.
Don't sell steel short. Give this a ride and you'll love the difference. My steel bike while being nearly as stiff isn't nearly as harsh to ride, has superior tracking and handling charactheristics too. Why do you think all the top end manufacturers of CF and Al bikes alwasy say about their top bikes "It rides like a steel frame?".

The ony disadvantage of a high end steel frame vs a high end CF or Aluminum frame is that they weigh a pound or two more and that would make a difference when making a big climb at the very highest level of racing. For your average enthusiast like me, that difference doesn't mean squat and it's off set by the fact that steel is more versatile, easier to customize, has superior riding and handling characteristics (I've never bunny hopped over a fallen rider on a CF frame but by god I've done it on a steel frame) not to mention that it's way more comfortable to ride for long periods then Aluminum frames which I find very harsch with lots of hard jolts and high end road buzz. Lets also not forget that those 15 to 16 lb CF and Aluminum frames are designed for 145 lb racers and not 180 lb enthusiast so if you are over 175 pounds there are some significant disadvantages to high end CF and Aluminum frames. Then theres durability. I'll have this 18.5 lb steel frame bike 20 years from now when your CF or Aluminum bike has long been a memory. That's the main thing I don't like about those two materials. There great for racing but you're going to be buying a new one every other year when the frame wears out. Steel frames don't wear out. Even if you only ride about 3,000 to 5,000 miles a year, you'll be replacing your CF or Aluminum bike in 3 to 5 years. Not so with a high end steel frame.

But don't take my word for it. Next time your'e out on a group ride if anyone has a Schwinn Paramount or a DeRosa Primato or a Colnago Master Light ask them if you can give it a try. I think you'll be impressed by the difference. Nothing rides like steel. :)

Last edited:
Back