My ode to the Harlem Hellfighters....

Cypress

369th Infantry Regiment – “Harlem Hellfighters”

The 369th Infantry Regiment was an infantry regiment of the New York Army National Guard during World War I and World War II. It was known for being the first African American regiment to serve with the American Expeditionary Forces during World War I. Before the 15th New York National Guard Regiment was formed, any African American that wanted to fight in the war had to enlist in the French or Canadian armies. The regiment was nicknamed the Harlem Hellfighters, the Black Rattlers, and the Men of Bronze, which was given to the regiment by the French. The nickname "Hell Fighters" was given to them by the Germans due to their toughness and that they never lost a man through capture, lost a trench or a foot of ground to the enemy.

Once the U.S. entered into World War I, many African Americans believed that entering the armed forces would help eliminate racial discrimination throughout the United States. Many African Americans felt it was "a God-sent blessing" so they could prove they deserved respect from their white compatriots through service in the armed forces.

In recapping the story of the 369th, Arthur W. Little, who had been a battalion commander, wrote in the regimental history From Harlem to the Rhine, it was official that the outfit was 191 days under fire, never lost a foot of ground or had a man taken prisoner; on two occasions men were captured, but were recovered. Only once did it fail to take its objective and that was due largely to bungling by French artillery support.

So by the end of the 369th Infantry's campaign in World War I they were present in the Champagne – Marne, Meuse – Argonne, Champagne 1918, Alsace 1918 campaigns in which they suffered nearly 1,300 casualties the highest of any U.S. regiment. The 369th also fought in distinguished battles such as Belleau Wood and Chateau-Thierry. While fighting these battles, they served nearly six months on the front lines and earned many distinguished awards. These awards included the Croix de Guerre which is France's highest military honor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/369th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)
missedinhistory-podcasts-wp-content-uploads-sites-99-2015-11-Harlem-Hellfighters-P-600x350.jpg

Back