My republican brethren: Can Romney Win?

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
Question: Can Mitt Romney win a national election, while specifically pledging to overturn Roe v. Wade (w/ judicial appointments, obviously)

Or, would that pledge sink him in a national election?

Not exactly a Republican but... The overturning of Roe v. Wade would be a good motivator for turnout. Might sink him in a general election though.

He is polling high in Iowa and New Hampshire. I had discounted his chances till now but he seems to be formidable.

Throughout his bid for the GOP's 2008 presidential nod, Mitt Romney has called for overturning Roe v. Wade so that states can go their own way on abortion rights. Rejecting a "one-size-fits all" approach to abortion, Romney has described his position as reflecting a "federalist approach."

"My view is not to impose a single federal rule on the entire nation -- a one-size-fits all approach -- but instead allow states to make their own decisions in this regard," Romney told the National Journal in its Feb. 9 issue.

It now appears, however, that if the former Massachusetts governor succeeds in getting Roe v. Wade overturned, he would ultimately like to see two federal measures whose cumulative effect would be to curtail the ability of states from granting their residents abortion rights.

Appearing Monday on "Good Morning America," Romney was asked by ABC News' George Stephanopoulos if he supports the Republican Party's 2004 platform on abortion rights, which states, "We support a Human Life Amendment to the Constitution and we endorse legislation to make it clear that the 14th Amendment's protections apply to unborn children."

Romney replied, "You know, I do support the Republican platform, and I support that being part of the Republican platform and I'm pro-life."

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3453601&page=1

Not exactly a Republican but... The overturning of Roe v. Wade would be a good motivator for turnout. Might sink him in a general election though.

He is polling high in Iowa and New Hampshire. I had discounted his chances till now but he seems to be formidable.

I've never heard a GOP prez candidate in the general election specifically call for overturning Roe. Even Bush stuck to using code language, but never publically stated it.

I wonder if it will freak a lot of people out? Its a fundamental issue of privacy, and it should be between a woman and her doctor. Not a bunch of fat ass white men in a state legislature.

I've never heard a GOP prez candidate in the general election specifically call for overturning Roe. Even Bush stuck to using code language, but never publically stated it.

I wonder if it will freak a lot of people out? Its a fundamental issue of privacy, and it should be between a woman and her doctor. Not a bunch of fat ass white men in a state legislature.

He'll back off of it in the General, with a wink and a nod to his base. I bet that is his plan.

Whether anyone could win the general on that platform, I think really depends on what else is happening at the time. During normal times, no.

He'll back off of it in the General, with a wink and a nod to his base. I bet that is his plan.

Whether anyone could win the general on that platform, I think really depends on what else is happening at the time. During normal times, no.

But, unless I'm wrong, I don't think any GOP prez candidate who won their primary, even said it publically in any previous GOP primary. It was always hidden with code language. I mean, saying it publically, could come back to haunt one in TV commercials and stuff.

But, unless I'm wrong, I don't think any GOP prez candidate who won their primary, even said it publically in any previous GOP primary. It was always hidden with code language. I mean, saying it publically, could come back to haunt one in TV commercials and stuff.

Yeah, it would be very interesting to see their internal memos on this. They must have a strategy that they believe will work...but that doesn't mean it will work.

This goes well beyond overturning Roe v. Wade. He says he supports the Human Life Amendment to the Constitution and legislation to make it clear that the 14th Amendment's protections apply to unborn children. The Human Life Amendment and extending the 14th Amendment to fetuses would make abortion illegal.

He may say he doesn't support a one-size-fits-all approach, but the platform that he says he supports is indeed a one-size-fits-all approach. It would make abortion illegal everywhere.

This goes well beyond overturning Roe v. Wade. He says he supports the Human Life Amendment to the Constitution and legislation to make it clear that the 14th Amendment's protections apply to unborn children. The Human Life Amendment and extending the 14th Amendment to fetuses would make abortion illegal.

He may say he doesn't support a one-size-fits-all approach, but the platform that he says he supports is indeed a one-size-fits-all approach. It would make abortion illegal everywhere.

As I'm sure you know, it could never pass.

He is just talking shit to convince his base that his former life, when he was pro-choice, is completely over.

As I'm sure you know, it could never pass.

He is just talking shit to convince his base that his former life, when he was pro-choice, is completely over.
If the platform is to Amend the Constitution it is almost always lip-service. There simply isn't that kind of support for such an amendment, and he knows it.

If the platform is to Amend the Constitution it is almost always lip-service. There simply isn't that kind of support for such an amendment, and he knows it.

And if it did get passed, it would make the republican party a permanent minority for a generation.

But, that wasn't my question. I'm wondering if Romney explicity saying that he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, which is overwhemingly a popular position in the GOP, could hurt him in a general.

And if it did get passed, it would make the republican party a permanent minority for a generation.

But, that wasn't my question. I'm wondering if Romney explicity saying that he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade, which is overwhemingly a popular position in the GOP, could hurt him in a general.
Actually, if it did get passed it would be a sign of a huge sway of opinion in that direction. 2/3 of the Senate and 3/4 of the states would have to agree.

I hope Romney wins , He has the right idea on stopping the baby killers and nuking Iran.
We sure don't need the cross dresser or Grumpy from Hollywood.

Yep romney has done a bit of flip flopping. Why should anyone believe him ?
He has somewhat flipflopped on health care as well.

Actually, if it did get passed it would be a sign of a huge sway of opinion in that direction. 2/3 of the Senate and 3/4 of the states would have to agree.

Damo, who are you leaning (even if you haven't decided) towards voting for in the GOP primaries? Tancredo?

Back